Darkest Hour: How Churchill Brought England…

Darkest Hour: How Churchill Brought England Back from the Brink

by Anthony McCarten

Presents an account of the period immediately following Winston Churchill's ascendancy to Prime Minister and how he met the challenges of the Blitzkrieg.
Recently added byprivate library, mjhanson, lolitaguy, PeterCreed, octavianflavius, ejmw, Familyhistorian, jocawley

Gripping account of Churchill in 1940. Becoming Prime Minister with those around him sceptical of his abilities, with France falling, Italy about to enter the war, and British troops collecting on Dunkirk with little hope of being rescued. Anthony McCarten gives an almost moment-by-moment account of Churchill’s meetings, revealing the leader’s doubts, the uncertainty of the time and the near capitulation to Hitler.

Such accomplished writing that I felt I was a sceptical participant in those meetings watching a performer who is known, but not as a safe pair of hands. Rather than a retelling of history with the certainty of hindsight, McCarten brings the country’s ‘darkest hour’ to life, as if it were happening in the moment, with all the uncertainty that that entails. A fascinating read. ( )
  LARA335 | Feb 18, 2019 |
Title: Darkest Hour: How Churchill Brought England Back From the Brink
Author: Anthony McCarten
Pages: 336
Year: 2017
Publisher: Harper Perennial
My rating 4 out of 5 stars.
What an enigma of a man! I watched the movie, The Darkest Hour, and was struck by how much I didn’t know about Winston Churchill. There were references in the movie about Churchill, his father and family that I wondered if they were matters of fact or fiction. Personally, I agree with the author that Churchill prepared for this moment in history whether he knew it or not. The man was loved by his wife and people even though others disliked and ignored him.
I found him to be a man who took learning in a school setting with little interest, but in the world as a young man he thirsted for knowledge. Churchill would have his mother ship books to wherever he was, so he could read and learn. The amount of writing Winston did is astounding let alone a lot of what he did was written at a young age. The wealth of insight the man had and heart of a patriot is so deeply touching.
Clemmie, his wife, was a special woman who adored her husband. This book didn’t talk a lot about his children, though he has many descendants. There have been many books written about him and by him. To me, that speaks of man who few can explain easily with a book. Lord Halifax is definitely a man I wouldn’t have wanted to work with, and frankly Parliament is hard for me to comprehend.
I would recommend this book if you haven’t done much reading about the man Winston Churchill as this is a good place to start. I found the information easy to understand and written to be very engaging. I plan on learning more about this unique person. Here is man Britain had at a time they truly needed him. He withstood enemies, both within the government and without. However, looking back we see a man who was brave and brought his nation back from the brink of extinction! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Mar 20, 2018 |
A focused presentation on a brief, but pivotal selection of speeches made by Winston Churchill around May 1940. The author makes a compelling argument that Churchill did in fact contemplate the possibility of a negotiated peace with Germany before making the decision that, win or lose and irrespective of support from allies, Britain would fight the Nazis to the bitter end.

This book was an enjoyable read, and presented in a clear and logical manner. ( )
  churchid | Jan 6, 2018 |

Anthony McCartenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, JohnNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HarperPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedekind, HenningÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ströle, WolframÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
film tie-in

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,758,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible