The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul…

The Cabin at the End of the World (edition 2018)

by Paul Tremblay (Author)

2442068,321 (3.55)18
Member:sturlington
Title:The Cabin at the End of the World
Authors:Paul Tremblay (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2018), 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Apocalypse Stories, 2018

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

If countless horror movies haven't convinced you that it's never a good idea to vacation in a remote cabin in the woods, this book surely will. Married couple Eric and Andrew are vacationing with their adopted daughter Wen in the New Hampshire backwoods when four very creepy people show up, break in, and tell them that the world is going to end imminently if they don't make a horrendous choice. The action takes place over the next couple of days as the suspense ratchets up to unbearable levels--and Tremblay does not take the action in expected directions. Some readers may not care for the ending, but I thought it was perfect, because the novel captured so well the existential uncertainty we all live in, having to make choices without knowing what the potential consequences may be and having to continue moving forward no matter what--a theme that elevates this above a mere thriller. Paul Tremblay is fast becoming one of my favorite horror writers, and his latest did not disappoint. ( )
1 vote sturlington | Dec 6, 2018 |
Tremblay had a brilliant idea for a completely terrifying storyline, and the tension just kept ratcheting up and up throughout. The combination of the switching narratives (between several characters and from first to third person) and not knowing what the hell is happening made it nearly impossible to stop reading. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |
I wanted to read this book because I saw so many people had liked it but I will have to say that I didn't really like it at all. I have read some scary books and this one was not that scary to me. There are crazy people holding the occupants of the cabin as hostages but I thought it lacked real tension. I listened to the audio and it was during the day and maybe if I was home alone and it was at night then I'm sure I would have been a bit more nervous. So, if you read this one and you were scared then I would say, "Good for you!" If you haven't read it then maybe you should try it and see if it is scary enough for you. I just thought the whole story was rather strange. But I guess that's why they have so many flavors of ice cream! ( )
  EadieB | Nov 29, 2018 |
Yes yes yes with this book! Loved Tremblay´s A Head Full of Ghosts, so I dived right into his second book, and he did not disappoint.
In a mad whirl of events, we live the horrific experience Eric, Andrew and Wen go through when a group of 4 individuals invade their holiday cabin in the woods.
Andrew and Eric are a couple who have a 7 year old girl called Wen. Little do they know how much their lives are about to change with this home invasion. Leonard -one of the invaders- and his group claim to know that the world will end unless either Eric or Andrew offer themselves as a sacrifice and die in order to save everyone. Then, all hell breaks loose and events unfold in a surreal kind of way.
This is a really gripping and terrifying story. One that had me flying through the pages trying to catch my breath. I truly can't wait for his third book. ( )
  AleAleta | Oct 27, 2018 |
  AleAleta | Oct 27, 2018 |
Then back in the ground / We look at our hands / And wonder aloud / Could anyone choose to die / In the end everybody wins / In the end everybody wins --Future of the Left, "The Hope That House Built"

Meanwhile, planes drop from the sky / People disappear and bullets fly... Wouldn't be surprised if they have their way / (Tastes just like chicken they say.) --Clutch, "Animal Farm"

...because when the blanket of death came for us we kicked it off and were left naked and shivering in the world. --Nadia Bulkin, "Seven Minutes in Heaven," She Said Destory
for Lisa, Cole, Emma, and for us
The girl with the dark hair walks down the wooden front stairs and lowers herself into the yellowing lagoon of ankle-high grass.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road. One afternoon, as Wen catches grasshoppers in the front yard, a stranger unexpectedly appears in the driveway. Leonard is the largest man Wen has ever seen but he is young, friendly, and he wins her over almost instantly. Leonard and Wen talk and play until Leonard abruptly apologizes and tells Wen, "None of whats going to happen is your fault". Three more strangers then arrive at the cabin carrying unidentifiable, menacing objects. As Wen sprints inside to warn her parents, Leonard calls out: "Your dads wont want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world." Thus begins an unbearably tense, gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse, and survival that escalates to a shattering conclusion, one in which the fate of a loving family and quite possibly all of humanity are entwined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible