Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough

Blood Water Paint (edition 2019)

by Joy McCullough (Author)

In Renaissance Italy, Artemisia Gentileschi endures the subjugation of women that allows her father to take credit for her extraordinary paintings, rape and the ensuing trial, and torture, buoyed by her deceased mother's stories of strong women of the Bible.
Member:alicia.becker
Title:Blood Water Paint
Authors:Joy McCullough (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough

A beautifully written book in verse re: the true story of artist Artemesia Gentileschi. Tough to rad --the story is so grim, I took 1/2 star off. I wish the author had included pictures of G's referenced paintings. I am lucky, I can go to the Detroit Institute of Arts and admire the real thing. ( )
  mjspear | Mar 5, 2021 |
Not a fan of novels in verse but my weakness for historical fiction won out. It is well-done, the verses echoing the cadence of the story. However, the lack of detail (which would have been offered in standard prose) left me unable to get into the story or learn the sorts of things I normally do via historical fiction. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 19, 2020 |
For such a short book, "Blood Water Paint" was a beautiful, powerful and devastating read. Written in free verse, it followed the life of Artemisia Gentileschi, a 17th century Italian artist. Her story was horrific and it broke my heart at what she had to endure in a patriarchal society where women did not have a voice. However, it was also inspirational and I admired Artemisia's convictions and strength of character. I also loved the writing. It was evocative, painful and moving.

After finishing "Blood Water Paint", I was inspired to learn more about Artemisia and her artwork, and realised I had studied a number of her paintings at university. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Nov 11, 2020 |
YA. This book is a gem. Based on a real young woman, Artemisia Gentileschi who lived in Rome in the 17th century, the story is told in verse from Artemisia's point of view, interspersed with prose narrative centered on two biblical heroines, Judith and Susanna told by Artemisia's dead mother. Artemisia is an artist, mostly beholden and in the employ of her father who is gruff and exploitative, but not abusive. He is a sub-par painter and passes her work off as his own, gaining commissions for churches and other rich and powerful entities. The biblical stories work because they are scenes Artemisia paints. They also parallel her own experience. Her father arranges for her to receive instruction from the rich, talented, powerful and connected Agostino Tassi. He is handsome, smooth, and a treacherous in that he takes advantage of her innocence, leads her on, and ultimately ruins her. How Artemisia fights back and regains her power and her talent is brutal but inspiring. Excellent research on history, art, religion and how they all intersected, plus the role of women and girls at the time is fascinating and beautifully conveyed. Excellent writing made this a worthwhile read that will stick with me for quite a while. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,491,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible