Orphan Monster Spy by Matt Killeen

Orphan Monster Spy (edition 2018)

by Matt Killeen (Author)

Series: Orphan Monster Spy (1)

Her name is Sarah. She's blonde, blue-eyed, and Jewish in 1939 Germany. And her act of resistance is about to change the world. After her mother is shot at a checkpoint, fifteen-year-old Sarah meets a mysterious man with an ambiguous accent, a suspiciously bare apartment, and a lockbox full of weapons. He's part of the secret resistance against the Third Reich, and he needs Sarah to hide in plain sight at a school for the daughters of top Nazi brass, posing as one of them. If she can befriend the daughter of a key scientist and get invited to her house, she might be able to steal the blueprints to a bomb that could destroy the cities of Western Europe. Nothing could prepare Sarah for her cutthroat schoolmates, and soon she finds herself in a battle for survival unlike any she'd ever imagined. But anyone who underestimates this innocent-seeming girl does so at their peril. She may look sweet, but she's the Nazis' worst nightmare.… (more)
Member:Ella_reese
Title:Orphan Monster Spy
Authors:Matt Killeen (Author)
Info:Viking Books for Young Readers (2018), 432 pages

Work Information

Orphan Monster Spy by Matt Killeen

Amazing plot line which although written for young adults can be enjoyed by all. ( )
  mumoftheanimals | Nov 7, 2021 |
I'm not a reader of historical fiction or thrillers, but this book was a total genre-buster for me. I have to hand it to Killeen, his world-building is brilliant, and the writing is unapologetically challenging for a YA novel. This chilling and dark story is a respectfully accurate portrayal of WW2 that feels 'new' as it teases out untold narratives from the genre, painting shades of grey over the monochrome background we've come to expect.

At the heart is a fierce, talented protagonist whose flaws push the narrative in an interesting direction. It was refreshing to read a YA novel with a female lead that didn't feel 'girly' (for want of a better descriptor) and didn't feel like it was trying to shoehorn an agenda. This girl is unrelentingly kick-ass and, while I wouldn't exactly put her in a role model category, she is admirable and complex.

I was fortunate enough to meet the author of this book, and THANKED him for writing this story; I cannot recommend it highly enough, and I'm excited now I've finally gotten my hands on the sequel.

PS The art deco cover design is gorgeous. ( )
  Katrana | Oct 13, 2021 |
I've been keen to read his for a while and I am so glad I took the plunge! I absolutely loved Orphan Monster Spy from page one right through to the fabulous ending. Matt Killeen has a wonderful way with words and I loved the heroine of the story: Sarah. She's so feisty and rises above all her terrible experiences, (including the brutal death of her mother,) to be a truly awesome, fierce, brave and engaging character.

You'd enjoy Orphan Monster Spy if you like stories set in Nazi Germany. This is a different take, focusing on a young Jewish girl infiltrating a Nazi school for the 'elite.' It doesn't shy away from telling it as it is. At times it is brutal.

It is obviously well researched and the author Matt Killeen's compassion and humanity is evident in his writing.

It's an easy one to rate. A five stars without a doubt. Definitely a favourite. Highly recommended. Matt Killeen has a new fan. I shall be reading more from this author.
  marjorie.mallon | Jul 14, 2021 |
Fifteen-year old Sarah becomes an orphan when her mother is shot to death at a checkpoint, trying to escape Germany. While Jewish by birth, Sarah is blonde and can pass as Aryan. She is brave and quite an actress, saving the life of an English spy. To exact revenge, Sarah agrees to be placed in a Nazi boarding school to infiltrate the fortress home of a scientist close to developing a nuclear bomb for the Third Reich. The school is horrific, and Sarah has to overcome abuse from teachers and students as well as rescue her handler after his attempt to penetrate the home fails miserably. 3.75 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
After her mother is shot at a checkpoint, fifteen-year-old Sarah finds herself on the run from the Nazis in Third Reich-ruled Germany. While trying to escape, Sarah meets a mysterious man with an ambiguous accent, a suspiciously bare apartment, and a lockbox full of weapons. He's part of the secret resistance against the Reich, and he needs her help. - pub description ( )
  karilibrary | Sep 9, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,444,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible