An Absolutely Remarkable Thing: A Novel by…

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Hank Green (Author)

"In his much-anticipated debut novel, Hank Green--cocreator of Crash Course, Vlogbrothers, and SciShow--spins a sweeping, cinematic tale about a young woman who becomes an overnight celebrity before realizing she's part of something bigger, and stranger, than anyone could have possibly imagined. The Carls just appeared. Coming home from work at three a.m., twenty-three-year-old April May stumbles across a giant sculpture. Delighted by its appearance and craftsmanship--like a ten-foot-tall Transformer wearing a suit of samurai armor--April and her friend Andy make a video with it, which Andy uploads to YouTube. The next day April wakes up to a viral video and a new life. News quickly spreads that there are Carls in dozens of cities around the world--everywhere from Beijing to Buenos Aires--and April, as their first documentarian, finds herself at the center of an intense international media spotlight. Now April has to deal with the pressure on her relationships, her identity, and her safety that this new position brings, all while being on the front lines of the quest to find out not just what the Carls are, but what they want from us. Compulsively entertaining and powerfully relevant, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing grapples with big themes, including how the social internet is changing fame, rhetoric, and radicalization; how our culture deals with fear and uncertainty; and how vilification and adoration spring from the same dehumanization that follows a life in the public eye"--… (more)
Member:robynclark
Title:An Absolutely Remarkable Thing: A Novel
Authors:Hank Green (Author)
Info:Dutton (2019), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis (Anonymous user)
    Sourdough by Robin Sloan (Waterbuggg)
    The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books feature a small group of young adults trying to solve a mystery. They both have funny parts but also deal with serious issues surrounding identity and have a bit of violence.

English (76)  German (3)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (80)
What an incredibly strange, timely, page-turner of a book. I read this in one weekend, while camping with my best friend, and was driving her absolutely bonkers gasping aloud as I read. Green has managed to write an invasion novel that is entirely out-of-this-world, while remaining totally recognizable as THIS specific moment in time. There HAS to be a sequel. ( )
  SamBortle | Jul 23, 2021 |
I saw this recommended on a NY Times list and decided it sounded like a book for me. Boy was I right. I found it funny, insightful into our current media landscape, and engrossing. I cared about the characters. I won't go into plot (I hate it when people ruin plot for me), but the basic idea is that some people post a video and it ends up going viral catapulting them into a crazy adventure. I truly enjoyed Green's take on how the media reacts these days. As our protagonist realizes, "[i]t turns out pundits don't want to talk about what's happened; they want to use what's happened to talk about the same things they talk about every day." And that is one reason I try to never watch anything with "pundits." No thank you. He also has a great feel for our current online reality. This description of a right wing idiot could fit a lot of people, "[h]e was one of thousands of people who scraped by filtering reality through their ideology and then yelling really loudly at the internet." Ugh. As I said, I became attached to the characters, especially our narrator the unfortunately named April May, and I got hooked on seeing where the story went. I will look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  MarkMad | Jul 14, 2021 |

Updates:

Chapter 1 -- I listened/watched this chapter on the vlogbrothers channel. Hank read it and it took me a couple more chapters to remove Hank's voice as April.

-- I'm not exactly sure where April changed her mind about social media.

Pg. 149 -- Maybe her parents are right. Maybe the Carl's did change April's view on things. Hmm. I'm still not sure if the robots are villains or friends.

Pg. 210 -- How is she being bi relevant to the fucking topic? I know this is fiction written by one man but it's TRIGGERING me!! Good job! XD

End -- I'm still not sure if they're good aliens.

It took me a while to finish this since I had a massive amount of work in the last few days. The last hundred pages are fast-paced though so I was able to finish it in a few hours.

Rating -- 4.5/5

blithelii_ | May 29, 2021 |
This book!! I wanted to read it all at once and yet I didn't want it to stop. When it ended, I verbally yelled that's it??!!?? That can't be it?!?!?! And paged through the author's note, the reading group guide and the acknowledgements, and that was it. I wasn't ready for it to be over for a variety of reasons. One, this book was so good. Two, it's kind of a cliffhanger I need more right now kind of ending. Three, it was so unlike any book I've read in a while. Four, did I mention it was good?

Told from April May's point of view, the book reads like a conversation between friends. April is relatable, funny and quirky. We watch her rise to fame because of an accidental discovery and the aftermath of that occurrence. Completely relevant to today's YouTube, Instagram, why are you famous society, I found the story compelling and even now, many hours after finishing the book, it's still marinating in my head.

What would you do if you randomly found a statue in the middle of the night, found out it wasn't just in your city, rose to fame because you were able to figure out the puzzles before others and then found you had a million enemies because of the incident? That's the journey we go on with April May and her friends. This was Hank Green's debut and I cannot wait to see where he goes next. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
I love how the internet played into this. You got to see an interesting perspective in a fun story. ( )
  Abiquail | Apr 24, 2021 |

Hank Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kall, KaitlinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sieh, KristenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Thanks, Mom!
Look, I am aware that you're here for an epic tale of intrigue and mystery and adventure and near death and actual death, but in order to get to that (unless you want to skip to chapter 13--I'm not your boss), you're going to have to deal with the fact that I, April May, in addition to being one of the most important things that has ever happened to the human race, am also a woman in her twenties who has made some mistakes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible