White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White…

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism (2018)

by Robin DiAngelo

I think about this book so often. I don’t see myself as a racist, but I was sitting in a Kaiser-Permanente pharmacy in a traditionally white town, and I was amazed at the number of black people there. Funny, I didn’t think about all the Asian and south Asian people there, only the blacks. Somehow I doubt this is the last time, that White Fragility makes me think about my own beliefs. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 18, 2019 |
I don't quite know how to review this. It was hard for me to read a lot of at a stretch, because it kept connecting with other things I've read, heard and experienced, so I'd pause my audiobook to think about it. It puts words to a lot of things I've struggled to describe before. I've done a lot of reading on race in America in the last few years, so much of it wasn't entirely new ground for me, but it was a different framing, and useful. Ijeoma Oluo's [b:So You Want to Talk About Race|35099718|So You Want to Talk About Race|Ijeoma Oluo|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1499224833s/35099718.jpg|56405219] is a better entry point, I think, but this is also a useful read for white people trying to come to grips with what being white is and how to do less harm with it. I think it would be particularly good for people trying to think about or increase diversity or inclusion in businesses, organizations, churches.

I'd recommend it for thoughtful white people in general (I don't suppose non-thoughtful ones will read it, and yes, even if we're thoughtful, we have room to grow on the topic) but particularly for white people raised in heavily white areas as I was. The concept of thinking oneself 'innocent of race' was very very relevant to life in Oregon.

Audiobook note: Not recommended. The reader has a repetitive, newscaster tone that grates somewhat over time, and I feel paper would have been a better choice for this book.
  eilonwy_anne | Mar 9, 2019 |
I agree with everything I found in this book, but there was so much overkill and repetition that I skimmed almost all of it except for the last chapter. Belaboring excellent points dilutes their importance. One of the Goodreads reviews here mentions that this book is expanded from an original article with the same title by the same author, and makes the same points without the excess. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Joins Stamped From The Beginning and White Rage as books on racism that I feel ought to be taught in schools. ( )
  cdogzilla | Mar 2, 2019 |
White Fragility is an important, cogent, well written book. I wish everyone would read it. DiAngelo begins with the premise that western society is built on white supremacy. We are bombarded with a preference for whiteness in virtually every context. "Fragility" is the term she uses to describe how white people react to discussions of race and bias, turning the problems on the messenger rather than accepting that their words and actions reflect an inherent bias based on the society's systematic racism. This acceptance is the first step required to combat the systematic racism. We also need to stop hiding behind our good intentions and accept that the effects of our words and actions matter in themselves. A good bit of humility is called for, and a willingness to accept feedback and learn from it. This is an outstanding contribution to the effort, and it includes pointers to many more. ( )
  Jim53 | Feb 27, 2019 |
CHOTINER: So you consider yourself a racist right now?

DiANGELO: Yes. I will always have a racist worldview and biases. The way I look at it is I’m really clear that I do less harm than I used to. I perpetrate that racism less often. I’m not defensive at all when I realize—whether myself or it’s been brought to my attention—that I’ve just perpetrated a piece of it. I have really good repair skills. None of those are small things because they mean I do less harm.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Isaac Chotiner (Aug 2, 2018)

In this groundbreaking and timely book, antiracist educator Robin DiAngelo deftly illuminates the phenomenon of white fragility. Referring to the defensive moves that white people make when challenged racially, white fragility is characterized by emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and by behaviors including argumentation and silence. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium and prevent any meaningful cross-racial dialogue. In this in-depth exploration, DiAngelo explores how white fragility develops, how it protects racial inequality, and what we can do to engage more constructively. --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Robin DiAngelo's book White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,145,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible