The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker

The Edge of Over There (edition 2018)

by Shawn Smucker (Author)

Member:readerbynight
Title:The Edge of Over There
Authors:Shawn Smucker (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:life, death, future, heaven, tree of life, fear, heroic

The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker

Exceptional! I read The Day the Angels Fell a few months ago, and was eager to read The Edge of Over There. This tale of spiritual warfare is one of the most creative stories I've read, and I look forward to much more from this talented author! I'm happy I have hardcover copies of these books. They will be passed on to my grandchildren. Don't let the YA label fool you! These books are incredibly fast paced and deeply creative. I'm 70 years old and loved them both!

The Edge of Over There is an allegorical tale, illustrating the strong forces between good and evil, and the quest for immortality. Characters are strong and unforgettable, and the settings are descriptive and detailed. The imagery the author uses is very creative and poetic. I will be reading these books again. The layers of these two novels are deep, and warrant a second or even third read. Brilliant! ( )
  NanceeM | Oct 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am unfortunately very disappointed with this book.
It started out great, and gave me the same vibes as the first book (which I listened to on audiobook which may have affected my views of it but, anyway...).

As soon as Abra, B, and Leo meet up, however, it felt VERY rushed and awkward. I lost a lot of interest and it kept dwindling from there. I ended up not caring at all to what happens to almost any of the characters in this book. I didn't understand why there was a war in the first place (seemed counterproductive to making everyone immortal). Hell, I didn't get why most things were happening in the first place. I barely understood why Frenzies existed (it was kind of explained but barely).
I felt like Leo could have had SO much more fleshing out. He was so terribly blank. When we first meet him there's so much potential. Then he grows up and all he does is move and talk and tell you he feels things he never shows.
And I didn't feel like Abra went through any development at all.

I wish I had received this ARC sooner in hopes that some of what I say may have influenced change (maybe it is in the final copy?)

I didn't notice much for grammar or punctuation mistakes, just:
pg 116: ''...forgive him his obsession...'' ((missing comma))
pg. 223: Missing a period before ''Will. Not.....'' ( )
  leoithne | Aug 28, 2018 |
This is a wonderful science fiction series. Both books in the series have been fantastic. I don’t understand why anyone would want to live forever. I would have to help Abra destroy the tree of life. I do understand wanting to use it to make someone healthy again but not to live forever. This has a lot of twists and turns. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 30, 2018 |
This book was a great disappointment to me. The author is obviously a talented writer and I love the cover, but I found the book very confusing as to the characters and events going on.
That is not where the problem lies for me though. There is no way I can qualify it as Christian fiction. The story refers to angels and the tree of life but not in a biblical sense and that was the first thing that came to my mind when seeing those words. God, Christ, and everything associated with such terminology was never mentioned. I felt that the sacred things of God and His Word were used as part of something dark, even evil. To me this was a sacrilege. I was unable to finish the book I found it so offensive. I do not believe you can associate the Holy things of God with demonic, sinful ideas. Sci-Fi and the Lord just do not mix.
I hate to leave negative reviews but this book was not for me.
I received this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review. The opinions I have stated are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Jul 29, 2018 |
I came into this book not knowing that there was a previous book. I started reading and was confused. I had no idea what was going on. But I liked the way the author wrote. Such beautiful imagery. I felt like the book gripped all 5 of my senses and took them for a wild ride. When I went in search of a little explanation for my confusion, I found that there was another book. Ok! This is not a book that you can skip over the first book. I trudged through though and began to slowly understand a little of what's going on. It's Christian allegory, which is not a genre I'm really familiar with. I felt like it was dystopian fiction meets literary fiction. The descriptions were superb. The flow of the language was song-like. The imagination involved was interesting, unique, and I found myself captivated by the new world the author created. I definitely want to go back and read the first book. The ending seemed to leave room for a 3rd book so I'm curious if that will be the case. Overall I give the book 4 stars. I'm glad I read it.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This has in no way influenced my review. All thoughts are my own. ( )
  kkireinaa | Jul 23, 2018 |

When Abra Miller goes to New Orleans Cemetery No. 1 to search for the Tree of Life, she discovers a city teetering on the edge of chaos, people desperate for a way out, and an enemy intent on enslaving the human race.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Shawn Smucker's book The Edge of Over There is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,213,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible