The Fallen (Memory Man series) by David…

The Fallen (Memory Man series) (original 2018; edition 2018)

by David Baldacci (Author)

Series: Amos Decker (4)

Star FBI detective Amos Decker and his colleague Alex Jamison must solve four increasingly bizarre murders in a dying rust belt town--and the closer they come to the truth, the deadlier it gets in this rapid-fire #1 New York Times bestseller. Something sinister is going on in Baronville. The rust belt town has seen four bizarre murders in the space of two weeks. Cryptic clues left at the scenes--obscure bible verses, odd symbols--have the police stumped. Amos Decker and his FBI colleague Alex Jamison are in Baronville visiting Alex's sister and her family. It's a bleak place: a former mill and mining town with a crumbling economy and rampant opioid addiction. Decker has only been there a few hours when he stumbles on a horrific double murder scene. Then the next killing hits sickeningly close to home. And with the lives of people he cares about suddenly hanging in the balance, Decker begins to realize that the recent string of deaths may be only one small piece of a much larger scheme--with consequences that will reach far beyond Baronville. Decker, with his singular talents, may be the only one who can crack this bizarre case. Only this time--when one mistake could cost him everything--Decker finds that his previously infallible memory may not be so trustworthy after all...… (more)
Member:samanthawestlake
Title:The Fallen (Memory Man series)
Authors:David Baldacci (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2018), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

Work Information

The Fallen by David Baldacci (2018)

The Fallen is a good story. The drug trade was heavily researched for this story of a broken town with desperate people. Even in the story the characters remark that this is only one small town in the U.S. that there are many more all across the U.S. People are so desperate for a life free of pain, or anything for money even if it means turning one's back to murder. The book received four stars in this review for its chilling story of desperation. ( )
  lbswiener | Dec 19, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

I've really enjoyed the Amos Decker series and The Fallen by David Baldacci didn't disappoint. For me one of the measures of a great author and series is that you forget the author's name and mainly associate with the main character. For example I consistently name Jack Reacher when I am talking about the series that Lee Child authors. I can remember Reacher instantly but have to dig a little deeper into the brain matter for Child's name. Amos Decker and David Baldacci are no different.

Amos and his partner Alex Jamison are vacationing with Alex's sister in Pennsylvania. It's a small little town once ran by the Barons. Yes, those Barons. The town has since been run into the ground by the end of the industrial era. Drugs have seeped in to cover the loses from the factories shuttering.

I'm from the Midwest (not PA though) and also from a small town. I can attest to a lot in this book. It seemed a bit dramatic as I was reading it, but when I think about it, Baldacci did a fair representation of a town hit hard by the slow death of the industrial era. I'm from the IL/IA border and meth is HUGE in our area. I honestly don't know if its more prevalent in the Midwest than in other regions of the country but it is a big issue here for sure. I just don't know if it's as big as a deal as it was made in the book.

The mystery behind The Fallen was brilliant! There were so many layers and trying to determine where it all fit (or if it needed to fit at all!) was perplexing which is exactly what I want in a mystery/thriller. I don't want to go into a ton of detail (I try to leave these reviews as spoiler free as I can) but I will say that I did have some things determined. I still wasn't sure how it was going to all roll out until it was happening. The amazing thing is that Baldacci does SUCH a great explanation that its difficult to find holes in the plot. Not that I would want to but sometimes there are these big gaping issues with mystery plots.

I will say this one took a little longer to sink into. I have a feeling that has much more to do with me than the book. The Fallen by David Baldacci was addictive once I was in and I was shocked by the ending. I have never been disappointed by Baldacci so I've pre-ordered the next book in the series. Thankfully I'll only have a few months to wait as its slated for an April 2019 release! ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
Seemed like a Jack Reacher novel to me. Amos Decker and his FBI partner Alex Jamison take a vacation to Baronville to visit Alex's sister, brother-in-law to celebrate her niece's sixth birthday, only to discover two murdered people in a neighbor's abandoned house. Baronville is a broken town, with its original factories shuttered, and some hope from a huge mail-order shipping warehouse. Amos figures out the identity of the corpses and learns there are been four other recent unsolved murders, which eventually are pinned on John Baron, the despised descendant of the town's founder and scion. Dogged as ever, Amos keeps digging and discovers a truly rotten core and some despicable people. The highlight of the book is Amos's relationship with Alex's niece, Zoe, with whom he makes a special connection. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Continued great stories in the Memory Man series! Alex and Amos come to a small town in the Rust Belt to visit Alex's sister and family and get involved in mysterious murders and a town with a bleak history.

This Hachette Audio book continues the great narration of previous ones. ( )
  ZachMontana | Mar 27, 2021 |

Baldacci, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brewer, KyfReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassidy, OrlaghReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindert, Jolanda teTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Cindi and John Harkes,
We're truly blessed to have you as friends
Who killed you? Or, who murdered you? There was, after all, a distinct difference.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,131,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible