Heart Berries: A Memoir by Terese Marie…

Heart Berries: A Memoir

by Terese Marie Mailhot

A memoir of moving through madness and it's roots by a Native American woman. Not at all an easy read, and possibly containing some triggers, certainly I had to keep my own emotional history from raveling my attention from each sentence as it sliced into me during the first two sections. Then I had to wonder what sort of man left messages on his computer and phone to be found by the lover (he implied) he wanted to keep. Perhaps I was distracting myself from the real pain on the page. Not a feel good life with those close to nature yarn. ( )
  quondame | Mar 6, 2019 |
I found this book too personal. I couldn't help wondering how Ms Mailhot's family would feel about it, and how she might feel about it in a few years.
  KWharton | Mar 4, 2019 |
Outstanding writing, storytelling and memoir. This is one of my favorite reads in recent years, and certainly one of the great memoirs. Raw, unflinching and True. If you love narrative, storytelling, indigeousness, memoir or just great writing, I highly recommend this one.

If you've read any of [a:Louise Erdrich|9388|Louise Erdrich|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1462224430p2/9388.jpg]'s novels, you'll find many echoes here, as both writers tackle honestly the difficulties of native women in contemporary times.

Go read this. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a very difficult book to read and even more difficult to critique. Terese explains that she was a young girl growing up in a severely dysfunctional family. Her home was located on the Seabird Island Indian Reservation in the Pacific Northwest. Her childhood experiences caused her profound pain, and she found herself as a young woman in a mental institution with bipolar disease and PTSD. Her quest to find herself leads her on a panful journey of remembrance. /She has now found herself a place in the world as a mother, wife, educator and author. The language in the book is absolutely beautiful, and even with the dreadful subject matter, quite poetic. But I found that there was a lot of jumping around in time, so I found it difficult to get to the heart of the matter. The book probably realistically portrays her bumpy ride as she tries to deal with all of her issues, and that maya explain the dichotomy, but it was still difficult for me to follow the timeline. It is very difficult to read about Terese's struggles to find herself and finally come to a place where she can acknowledge and accept all the horrors of her life, and then build from there to finally discover the real Terese buried under all the memories. ( )
  Romonko | Feb 5, 2019 |
I really enjoyed what was there, but I couldn't help feeling that it was incomplete, that I was missing some vital information to form these essays into a coherent timeline. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |

Terese Marie Mailhotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexie, ShermanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kane, Joan NaviyukAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I want you to know, if you ever read this, there was a time when I would rather have had you by my side than any one of these words; I would rather have had you by my side than all the blue in the world. --Maggie Nelson
For Karen Joyce Bobb (Wahzinak)
My story was maltreated.

"Heart Berries is a powerful, poetic memoir of a woman's coming of age on the Seabird Island Indian Reservation in the Pacific Northwest. Having survived a profoundly dysfunctional upbringing only to find herself hospitalized and facing a dual diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder and bipolar II disorder; Terese Marie Mailhot is given a notebook and begins to write her way out of trauma. The triumphant result is Heart Berries, a memorial for Mailhot's mother, a social worker and activist who had a thing for prisoners; a story of reconciliation with her father-an abusive drunk and a brilliant artist-who was murdered under mysterious circumstances; and an elegy on how difficult it is to love someone while dragging the long shadows of shame. Mailhot trusts the reader to understand that memory isn't exact, but melded to imagination, pain, and what we can bring ourselves to accept. Her unique and at times unsettling voice graphically illustrates her mental state. As she writes, she discovers her own true voice, seizes control of her story, and, in so doing, reestablishes her connection to her family, to her people, and to her place in the world."--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Terese Marie Mailhot's book Heart Berries was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,109,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible