Inside Out Sharks: Look inside a great white…

Inside Out Sharks: Look inside a great white in three dimensions!

by David George Gordon

313,053,879 (5)None
Journey inside a shark and live to tell the tale! With Inside Out: Shark, you'll take a three-dimensional tour through a different sharks to learn about the unique bodies of these eating machines!  Sharks are some of natures largest and most ancient creatures on the planet. This is your chance to learn how they move, how they work, and tons of facts about how they live. Inside Out Sharks brings you all of this information and a whole lot more! Why are shark eggs called "mermaid purses"? What in the world are "skin-teeth"? Do sharks deserve the nickname "man-eater"? Find the answers to these questions and more in this action-packed book, which dives deep under the surface to explore the world of these astounding animals. From the eerie goblin shark to the wide-eyed hammerhead to the most feared shark of them all, the great white, see the world from a shark's-eye-view--and get an in-depth look at these most mysterious and misunderstood predators.… (more)

Dive deep with the greatest ocean predators!

Through pictures, beautiful illustrations and, in the case of the hardcopy, through a diecast model embedded in the pages, Inside Out: Sharks explores some of the most fearsome creatures to swim our seas. Layer by layer, body systems of the great white are explored. Paired with each segment are tons of interesting tidbits of info about diet, and lifestyle, though the author does tell us little is truly understood about these magnificent, deadly hunters.

Sharks are fascinating beasties. I had never heard the nickname 'tommy sharks, though 'White Death’ was a familiar moniker. I had no idea great whites are 'warm-blooded’ sharks. This is a different concept than the warm-blooded nature of mammals and birds, and it allows the shark to move faster and adapt better than its cold-blooded cousins. And not all sharks need to be constantly prowling just to live. Wobbegongs can chill on the ocean floor for long stretches because they can force water over their gills. Sharks also give us the largest single cell in the form of the whale shark’s football-sized ova.

My cubs and I really enjoyed reading this book. The language is meant for older readers, but the younger ones enjoyed the pictures, and all of them had lots of questions, prompting learning discussions. Overall, a fascinating look at sharks, and the perfect book for any nature-loving kid!

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  PardaMustang | Jan 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,676,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible