Let the Children March by Monica…

Let the Children March (edition 2018)

by Monica Clark-Robinson (Author), Frank Morrison (Illustrator)

Under the leadership of Dr. Martin Luther King, children and teenagers march against segregation in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1963.
Member:amundi1
Title:Let the Children March
Authors:Monica Clark-Robinson (Author)
Other authors:Frank Morrison (Illustrator)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2018), 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Picture book, historical, children's, protest

Let the Children March by Monica Clark-Robinson

I really liked the way this book was put together. The author and illustrator did a tremendous job matching the illustrations to the words. This book does a good job of taking a major topic/event and turn it into a historical fiction children's book. The author did a great job describing how the marches went, it made me feel like I was walking down the street. This would be a great book to always have in the classroom as an example of in-depth writing let alone the protests. ( )
  amundi1 | Oct 9, 2019 |
Genre: Historical Fiction
Grade: 3 and up
Rating: 4 Stars
Reading log #7
This book is one that I think would be a good read for anyone who picks it up. The setting of being during the Birmingham Children's Crusade in 1963 is one that I have never really seen before. The author provided great detail, mentioning how crowded the jails were, how the water pressure was when they were being sprayed, and how vicious the dogs were then the police turned them loose on people. I think it is little details like this that are able to add up, creating a very vivid image of what it was like going through that time period.
I also like the illustrations that Frank Morris provided. Making them very vivid but not distracting to what was going on in the actual text. For me, I believe that the main idea of the story is fighting in general. That although these families and kids knew the consequences of what could happen, that they could be put in jail for protesting and fighting back for freedom and equality, they did it anyway. And I think that it just shows that you should continue to push back against the wrong doing or mistreatment from others although you may get some form of backlash from it. ( )
  Maurice21 | Oct 3, 2019 |
I really liked this book. The language was very clear and explained the Civil Rights Movement in a way that children can comprehend it. For example, "He wanted to raise an army of peaceful protests to fight for freedom. His brown eyes flashing fire and love, Dr. King told us the time had come to march." This sentence helps to explain to children why Dr MLK wanted the main characters to march with him. I also really loved the illustrations in this book. I feel as though they really enhanced the story because you could see the emotions on the characters faces. The book also pushed readers to think about tough issued and broadens perspectives. The topic of Civil Rights and segregation is a tough issue that many children may not have ever heard about. Through the reading of this book, children will gain a new perspective and will be able to form their own educated opinions and ideas. ( )
  alunds1 | Oct 1, 2019 |
When I read Monica Clark-Robinson's book, I had two reasons of why I was interested and disinterested in the story. On one hand, I liked the illustration of the story. It contained impressive artwork and neat background that appeared to be related to reality. The artwork was portrayed to the settings at Alabama, where the story took place. Also, the illustration showed many children gathering together, which helped enhance the book. I believed the illustration was essential on making the story interesting for beginning readers. On the other hand, I didn't like that there was some conflict involved in the plot. Since this book was based the events of May 1963, the story showed the serious issues of racism such as the police officers spraying hoses on the African American people and using dogs to attack them. The big theme was an inspiration of allowing the children to stand up for the means of freedom and equality. It was also about using courage in the face of consequences of racism. ( )
  wfergu6 | Oct 1, 2019 |
If I had to describe this book in one word it would be POWERFUL. What an amazing portrayal of the role of children during the civil rights movement. We tend to not think about children being aware of what is going on, but the reality is children were heavily effected by the racism of that time. This author uses italics, bold, and font size to emphasize words throughout the story that are significant or powerful. This would serve as good model for students to get an idea of what types of writing emphasis are available to use in their writing. ( )
  JasmineMcBride | Sep 25, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,945,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible