Aurora Rising

by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff (Author)

Series: The Aurora Cycle (1)

From the New York Times and internationally bestselling authors of the Illuminae Files comes a new science fiction epic . . . The year is 2380, and the graduating cadets of Aurora Academy are being assigned their first missions. Star pupil Tyler Jones is ready to recruit the squad of his dreams, but his own boneheaded heroism sees him stuck with the dregs nobody else in the academy would touch . . . A cocky diplomat with a black belt in sarcasm A sociopath scientist with a fondness for shooting her bunkmates A smart-ass tech whiz with the galaxy's biggest chip on his shoulder An alien warrior with anger-management issues A tomboy pilot who's totally not into him, in case you were wondering And Ty's squad isn't even his biggest problem--that'd be Aurora Jie-Lin O'Malley, the girl he's just rescued from interdimensional space. Trapped in cryo-sleep for two centuries, Auri is a girl out of time and out of her depth. But she could be the catalyst that starts a war millions of years in the making, and Tyler's squad of losers, discipline cases, and misfits might just be the last hope for the entire galaxy. NOBODY PANIC.… (more)

ayoshina | Jul 31, 2022 |
Definitely disappointed. I will say the one pro to balance out all the cons was that despite the fact that it felt like this book was copycatting other Sci-Fi books/shows I didn't put it down and I am not a person who gets angsty about not finishing a book because it is bad, so that's a point in its favor.
There a few things keeping this from being more highly rated :
1) The characters are supposed to be young soldiers but they don't act that way. I know they are all teenage misfits but the constant quips became really annoying real fast. Especially the LOTR jokes
2) The instant love between two of the main characters; that does seem to be a reoccurring YA trope though so if you like that then you will be fine. I just hate the whole 'mate' aspect.
3) One of the characters is supposed to be a diplomat but the authors should have just said she was the seductress of the group because that seems to be the only way her diplomatic skills work; it was disappointing for me to see the authors use an otherwise likeable character that way
4) The character Zila was the character given the fewest lines and the fewest POV chapters so you never got a chance to really know her; she is also the only person of color.
5) The fact that the leader of the group is a white male and his title is ALPHA; seriously? No, seriously? You did not for one second think about how that would come across?
At the end of every book I ask myself one question to determine how I really feel about it: Would I recommend this to someone? The answer for this one is NO.

awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
DNF

WHY does this have such high ratings?
WHY is there so much praise?

This is a mess.
First person. Dull and lifeless writing. Flat characters.

VERDICT : APPLY GASOLINE AND FIRE

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND RUN THE OTHER WAY ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this book, I really enjoyed all the characters and especially Magellan. I loved the squad vibes this book gave and definitely found myself very interested in this world. I love the whole family for a bunch of rejects, some of the characters are dysfunctional and I loved it. As for the squad, I did like all of them and I think Zila was the most underrated considering she barely speaks during the book. I really love Scarlet and Cat, they were just great female characters, Auri truly is a great character and I love how we learn more about her as we go, Kal is a bit of a drama queen, I have to appreciate Ty since he's trying to be a leader, Finian is well Finian, he's cool.
I loved the different information snippets through Magellan instead of just having the characters explain everything. However, there are a few cliches in this book. However, I love this book!! ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
I LOVED the plot and world building and the character depth, but I took off a star because I didn't feel that the character development was realistic, it felt rushed. That's really my only complaint and it's a fantastic book that I highly recommend. I can't wait for the next one! ( )
  Sennie_V | Mar 22, 2022 |

Amie Kaufmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kristoff, JayAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowater, CharlieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

If your squad was hard to find, or you're still looking, them this one is for you.
I'm gonna miss the Draft.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,951,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible