Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, 1) by…

Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, 1) (edition 2019)

by Mary E Pearson (Author)

Series: Dance of Thieves (1)

5101937,659 (4.15)1
A stunning new adventure set in the kingdoms of the Remnant. A formidable outlaw family that claims to be the first among nations. A son destined to lead, thrust suddenly into power. Three fierce young women of the Rahtan, the queen's premier guard. A legendary street thief leading a mission, determined to prove herself. A dark secret that is a threat to the entire continent. When outlaw leader meets reformed thief, a cat-and-mouse game of false moves ensues, bringing them intimately together in a battle that may cost them their lives--and their hearts.… (more)
Member:MIdNiTe_TrAgEdY
Title:Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, 1)
Authors:Mary E Pearson (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2019), Edition: Reprint, 528 pages

Work Information

Dance of Thieves by Mary E. Pearson

The son of a formidable outlaw family has suddenly been thrusted into power.
Three of the Queen's premier guard, three fearless and strong young women, a legendary street thief, determined to prove herself.
A dark secret threatens the continent.
When outlaw leader meets reformed street thief, a game of false moves ensues, bringing them more intimately together in battle, a battle that may just cost them their lives.

5 star rating sounds just about right. I enjoyed reading this, and was sucked into a world of kingdoms and romance. A fantasy. A enemies-to-lovers. A overall brilliant book. The wording is exquisite, and the story was very hard to put down, with something new in every chapter. ( )
  Meaviemouse | Jan 16, 2022 |
This was such a fun read and I cannot wait to continue with this series. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
What did I expect from one of my favorite authors writing a spin-off of one of the best YA fantasy trilogies!!!! Nothing short of amazing and that's what this book delivered. It was a thrilling and entertaining ride from page one to the last and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kazi is such a strong protagonist to read about that it's a delight following her around. She is a survivor, resilient, calculating and efficient while hiding a compassionate streak in her that only comes out rarely. Her harrowing backstory is revealed slowly in bits throughout the book and that explains the walls she has built around herself, her disdain for people who prey on weaker victims and also her fear of open spaces. She is tested in unexpected and brutal ways but she nevers wavers from her goal and I really admired her for that.

Jace is the newly named Patrei of the Ballenger family but before he even gets to mourn his father properly, he is thrown (alongwith Kazi) into a game of politics whose perpetrators remain unknown and consequences can be far reaching. Escaping labor hunters and travelling days together, linked by an ankle chain that doesn't let them leave each other's side makes for an interesting journey. It forces these two enemies to become allies for the sake of survival and ultimately develop feelings for each other, even though they would never speak about them. Their relationship is sometimes fiery, sometimes fun, full secrets and betrayals, but it's also true. I really loved the progression of their relationship and their scenes together were some of the best in the book. They are morally gray characters who are driven by loyalty to their family and land and would use any means necessaryto protect the ones care for.

The side characters in the book are some of most fun and well fleshed out I've read in recent times. It was so great to see some familiar as well as new names who are now the Rahtan on a mission for the Queen of Venda and I liked that that the author makes sure everyone of them has their own story of survival and why they are the perfect ones to accomplish their task. The Ballenger family is large and boisterous and I absolutely fell in love with all of them. They are all loyal and protective and ruthless but are also quick to accept Kazi and show her all the same care and love as a family member. They have their loud disagreements but always defer to Jase for the final word and their bond was definitely the highlight of the book. And finally, getting mentions and little glimpses of my favorite Queen and King was a great pleasure and they seem to have become the just and compassionate rulers I expected them to be.

The author uses the same world building technique that she used in the Remnant Chronicles trilogy to give us a more detailed history of the beginning of the Ballenger clan - this time through the writings of the first Ballenger and also the Song of Jezelia. Even most of the conversations that Jase and Kazi have during their journey are full of stories and riddles and I thought it was wonderful way of presenting us the world as well as give us a little insight into the minds of the two. The description of Hell's Mouth, Tor's Watch and the arena are vivid and enchanting while the consequences of the Great Battle at the end of the previous trilogy are shown to us through a gloomy chronicle of the remains of Sentinel Valley. The final traces of the conspiracy and the last remaining members who escaped justice form the crux of the conflict of this story and I can't wait to see what more havoc they wreak on the kingdoms.

This book again proves why Mary Pearson is a gem in YA fantasy and I wish everyone would read her books. And the way she wrapped up a lot of plotlines and almost gave us a happy ending while leaving us with a dreaded cliffhanger in the last two pages was just genius. If you love YA fantasy with a dash of romance, then you shouldn't miss this one. It's a very satisfying read and I'm already excited for Vow of Thieves, which unfortunately doesn't release till another year. However, I do recommend that you read the original trilogy first, because it gives you a great sense of the world and attachment to the characters and I think it definitely enhanced my reading experience for this one. Just give this universe a try and I promise, you will have a hell of an adventure. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
Overall this was a good book. When I picked it up, I was unaware that it was a spinoff of another series. It was certainly a stand alone novel, but probably would have been more relatable had I read the other series first. The political intrigue was good, and while it was a page turner, the plot felt a bit lacking and the romance a bit forced. There is nothing specific in this book that I can pick out that I didn't like, other than that it was advertised as "enemies to lovers" and they were already "lovers" about 50 pages in. yet for some reason it just seemed a bit lack luster to me. My best guess is that I didn't love it because I had just come off of a reading high from another series, and was still mourning the loss of those characters. Overall, a good book but it didn't make my "most loved" list by any means. ( )
  sedodge | Jul 28, 2021 |
The main character introduced herself as Kazimyrah of Brightmist, and yet I read on for another bloated 500 pages. I was foolish. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Write it down, he had told me.

Write down every word once you get there,

Before the truth is forgotten.

And now we do, at least the parts we remember.

—Greyson Ballenger, 14
For my fierce and unstoppable girls, Ava, Emily, and Leah
The ghosts are still here.

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,950,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible