Julia Unbound by Catherine Egan

Julia Unbound

by Catherine Egan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As of writing this review I am halfway through the book. I believe I'm going to borrow the first book before I continue reading as I feel I have already missed half the story. The start of the book with all the characters having already been introduced was a little confusing. It clearly mentioned things from the first book that you would need to read to fully understand.

That being said I do enjoy the style of writing and the plot so far. Every character seems well developed and continues to grow even in just one book. However, there does seem to be a lot of characters that sometimes I do tend to forget who is who sometimes.

I will be returning to this book once I have read the first one from my local library. ( )
  Sammi.Smith | Nov 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The third instalment of this trilogy delivered a satisfying conclusion to what felt like a somewhat laboured plot arc. In Julia Unbound we return from the Far East setting of the second book to Spira and its cast of characters and are delivered a satisfying conclusion to what felt like a somewhat laboured plot arc.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher for review and I want to thank them very much because they have furnished me with all three books in the series as review copies (something that's never happened before.) ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 20, 2018 |
Literary merit: good
characterization: good
recommendations: yes
Reading level: upper high school

This was a very good book, but there were a lot of things going on. There were world shifts with characters in this world, magic, spirits, revolutions, witches, good and evil. During it all, you felt for the main character, Julia and wanted to see her succeed. It was nice that it showed some of the moral dilemmas she went through as she made her decisions. And how she would reevaluate these decisions as different things happen to her.

I started this series with the last book. I enjoyed it so much I am going to read the first two. ( )
  SWONroyal | Oct 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book in a giveaway and didn't realize until I received it that it was part three in a series. There was a lot of backstory that I had to figure out which made it difficult to connect with the main character. I suspect I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had read the first two books.

The writer provides extensive detail into both the landscape and the history encompassing this novel. Her world-building is complex and rich. Thankfully there is a detailed map and the city and a list of the thirty-nine terms and characters introduced in this book. Again, someone who had read the first books would probably be familiar with most of these.

The major premise of the story focuses on Julia who, in order to save her brother, has agreed to allow a parasite to slowly infect her body and take over her brain. She has only a short time to defeat her enemy, remove a sabotaged bomb from her brother's chest, and pull out her parasite before it takes over her mind. She has a watchdog reporting back all her movements to her enemy and must secretly fight against him or her brother will be killed even sooner.

Julia becomes embroiled in a fight for the throne involving witches and other powerful beings. To complicate matters, she develops a fondness for the rightful heir while being forced to support a false claim. But Julia has a special magical skill of her own which gives her a chance to navigate through the complex and deceptive political forays.

Perhaps because the story was so detailed and I had not read the first books, I found it difficult to connect with Julia and took quite a long time to finish the novel and tackle this review. Your experience, especially if you read the first two in the series, may be different. Eden is an excellent plotter and world builder. If you enjoy complex fantasies, this series is worth looking into. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Oct 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this book from librarything’s early reviewers program in exchange for an honest review — thank you!

So, admittedly, this is book #3 in a series, and I haven’t read the first two books. That’s on me, and I’m sure it affected my reading of the book.

Still, I found this an enjoyable, compelling read that I think fits in well with the popular YA fantasy books I’ve read. The plot is fast-moving, the worldbuilding is well done, and the characters were enjoyable to read about — particularly Julia. Will be recommending this one. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Oct 4, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Catherine Egan's book Julia Unbound is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible