Hand of Raziel (Daughter of Mars Book 1) by…

Hand of Raziel (Daughter of Mars Book 1) (edition 2016)

by Matthew S. Cox (Author)

113,689,591 (5)None
Member:aurora.schnarr
Title:Hand of Raziel (Daughter of Mars Book 1)
Authors:Matthew S. Cox (Author)
Info:Curiosity Quills Press (2016), Edition: 1, 469 pages
Collections:Read and Reviewed
Rating:*****

Hand of Raziel (Daughter of Mars Book 1) by Matthew S. Cox

Recently added byaurora.schnarr

No tags.

Goodreads Synopsis:
Risa Black will decide the fate of an entire planet. After all, an angel told her so.

Orphaned young, she grows up among the resistance, fighting to give the people of Mars command of their own destiny. Two governments from Earth vie for control of the Red Planet; she wants them gone, regardless of how many explosives it takes.

To the outside world, she’s an emotionless, broken marionette. Inside, her father’s fiery end haunts her every waking moment. She never cared for destiny or politics, until the angel Raziel focused her anger. Both friend and foe alike believe her grip on sanity tenuous; she knows he is real, and pities those who will never feel his divine presence.

Whenever her adrenaline wears off, guilt at what her bombs did cuts deep, as does the apathy of the citizens she wants to liberate. The pain worsens after unexpected love cracks open her armored heart, causing her to question the role she plays in the bloody conflict.

Torn between duty and desire, she learns change never comes without loss.

Even to the Hand of Raziel.

My Review:
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

First off, I'd like to say when I finished the authors other book, Heir Ascendant, I needed to read more. The world was so fully formed and the characters were so full of life. This book is exactly the same way. I'm amazed that the author is able to fire off these books about completely different things in such rapid succession. I loved this equally as much as I loved the other book and I'm really glad I got the chance to read it.

Twenty five year old Risa has had a hard life. Orphaned at a young age, she grew up in the vents of the mostly underground civilization of Mars. Eventually caught and pulled out, she changed herself at an intense level. Over three hundred years into the future, mechanical upgrades for your body are not exactly accepted, but within reach for anyone who wants them. Although broken and a little detached at times, she's a strong female lead character, and I really like her. Although she battles with her emotions, memories, and overall mental health, she's an amazing person and only works to better the planet for the people of Mars. Amidst a war between the American colony and the Russian colony, she saves the good and kills the bad, and when she needs it, an angel named Raziel, one that's debated on even being real, helps her out. But she's definitely not an assassin.

The setting in this book, although on a completely different planet, is really easy to imagine. Everything's so well explained without being too descriptive, leaving bits to the imagination. I love books about space and technology, and this book was everything I could hope for and more. The characters developed really nicely and it was an easy to read book.

The story is amazing, and I couldn't put it down once I started it. There are just so many unexpected twists and turns, and Risa reacts to them how any other enhanced being would. She doesn't like to kill people, but she does what she has to, for the better of the people of Mars. She saves children and prisoners of war alike, and although the citizens don't always agree that what she's doing is right, she knows, and the people in her cause know, so isn't that enough? There's too much propaganda going around anyways. Basically the book is Risa running around using her mods, blowing things up and then later saving people and wrestling with her emotions as well as crooked people. She wants to save the world but it's a lot of work, and I can't wait to see what comes next for her.

I don't know how else to explain how exciting and interesting this book is, aside from coming out and just saying again that I love it. This book is so good that if I saw it somewhere I probably would buy it just to have a copy of it for my bookshelf. I'm not one for re-reading books, but I would love to read this again. I can't wait to start the next book. I also love that the covers of the two match, they're really nice looking and eye catching and glossy. Definitely check out this book if you get the chance if you like futuristic revolutions in a world that kind of reminds me of Bladerunner (all the tech and the noodles honestly) but on Mars.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon and another link to the authors twitter.

Thanks for reading! Check out this review and more at my blog.
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Nov 14, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible