Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

Sky in the Deep

by Adrienne Young

When people told me this book held a whole heart in it, I didn't really believe them. But now, I take back that false thought.

Sky in the Deep was a book that plunged into my heart, gripped it, and refused to let go.

Our main character Eelyn was a girl I feel a lot of people could connect to. She's lost someone close to her, and it's impacted her majorly. Now, seeing him again, she's desperate to have him back and that ultimately leads her into trouble.

Throughout the book, Eelyn kept to her personality and refused to change for anyone. This is something I loved, for most characters will usually alter something about themselves to fit the plot or end up with a love interest. However, she didn't conform to that stereotype. It made the story all the better for it.

"Because we were dying. Because it was the end. And at the end, life becomes precious."

Of course, if you're going to have a good book, you have to have the pulling-at-the-heartstrings quotes. This one was one of my favorites, and it definitely spoke to me. Even in a fantasy novel, you can always find something reaching toward reality.

Though, with all the great points in this book, there were some faults too. The beginning of the book—while filled with action—still felt slow. Another thing I picked up, in the beginning, was that the decisions and choices felt forced. I also got that in the ending too, and I definitely felt like the ending could have been prolonged to have more detail and add to the story a bit.

All in all, I still really loved this story and all of its characters. I loved the outcome, and I loved the writing style used. I rate SITD 3.5 stars (but I'll round up to 4 stars on GDs and Amazon). I do suggest you pick this book up and give it a chance if you haven't already. I can't wait to read whatever Adrienne writes next. ( )
  Bella_RoEll | Jun 25, 2019 |
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am usually skeptical of books that get a lot of hype, especially books without queer characters. Based on the cover and the blurb, I also expected a cold, gritty, bloody tale of warriors and betrayal.

(Note: There are minor plot spoilers in this review, but honestly, the blurb already gives away a lot of things that happen quite late, so you won’t find anything major that’s not already in the blurb.)

Don’t get me wrong – I got all of that. There is cold and ice, there are betrayals, and there certainly are warriors. Finding out that her brother has been alive and living with the enemy all this time, and forced to live among the enemy for the winter, Eelyn is full of anger and betrayal and doubt.

And yet, there is so much gentleness in this book.

Read the full review on my blog. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
HOLY SHIT. I could NOT put this down. It’s STUNNING. More when I have the right words but READ IT. NOW.

this was the kind of book i never wanted to put down. it was bloody, visceral, and so much fun. Eelyn is a fierce, defiant, and wonderful character, and her story was just so engrossing. From the beginning battle against the Riki to the end battle where everything comes to a head , I was entranced by this book. I loved the characters, especially Fiske and Halvard, Inge and Iri. This is just a brilliant, action packed book that i never wanted to end, but was extremely satisfied when it did. Just a complete winner. ( )
  ohkamikaze | May 6, 2019 |
Ooh, I really loved this book! It starts off right in the middle of battle and continues from there. I was immediately sucked in and read this all in one sitting. Eelyn is so badass! She's a viking warrior who knows how to survive. I liked how her character was written, I felt like it was easy to identify with her and I was on her side the entire time. Fiske was a nice male lead, he's strong and a warrior too. He cares for his family and will do anything to protect them. I had to come around to Iri, mostly because Eelyn was mad at him so I was too. The names and places were a bit hard to pronounce and I would've liked a guide, but they were pretty cool and I liked their sayings. I love strong female characters and this book definitely had them. Great story! ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Overall I really liked and enjoyed this book. I did think it was a little odd that Eelynn, who was supposedly a great fighter/warrior, continually kept getting hurt and into situations where she needed to be rescued. I liked Fiske and how mysterious he was but I did feel that there wasn't enough relationship development in order for things to work out between him and Eelynn the way that the did. It was also a little ridiculous that these two clans have continued to fight every five years for no real reason. You would think at some point they would have realized there was no point to the fighting. People are stubborn though so I guess its not too far fetched. I loved the writing style and the setting. I wasn't sure if I would like a story centered around Vikings but it was really good! I think the author is writing an companion novel that I will definitely be reading! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 23, 2019 |

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan, but when faced with her brother's betrayal, and driven by a growing love for her brother's friend Fiske, she attempts to unite the two clans.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,295,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible