Sky in the Deep

by Adrienne Young

Series: Sky and Sea (1)

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan, but when faced with her brother's betrayal, and driven by a growing love for her brother's friend Fiske, she attempts to unite the two clans.

I truly enjoyed this book - i can't give it 5* because there were a few moments I had trouble with but 4.5/4.75 ... close enough - but overall this was a solid book and very interesting. Viking stuff I didn't think would interest me but damn I had so much fun reading this. And a standalone - it wrapped up so nicely I kind of want to read it again. ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
This book was... fine. It was a decent book. But... it wasn't anything special.

Also the ending was reeeeeeaaallly anticlimactic. And sorta unbelievable because no one died. Or... a ton of people died, but NONE of the characters we meet die. Which was... unbelievable AF. This was a dark book and there was a huge battle raids and stuff and... NONE of the characters we meet die?? Reeeeaaallly???

Look I didn't care about most of them, okay? (And I was *sorta* rooting for Fiske to die so that at least this boring ship with no chemistry wouldn't sail. Oops...) But also it was just really unrealistic and hard to believe. You'd think at least ONE of the eight characters met would have died.

Yes I did just spend way too long ranting that no one died. I swear I'm okay. IT WAS JUST SO UNREALISTIC! And the ending was so happy-go-lucky la-dee-da-da everything is perfect now. Which I was NOT buying.

Oops.

Okay so that ridiculous rant aside... Sky in the Deep was okay. It certainly wasn't bad. It just... didn't grab me.

Short List of Thoughts

- Again the ending was anticlimactic and unbelievable.

- Eelyn was SAVAGE. I loved it. A lot. I didn't overall love her, because I sort of wish she'd had a bit more depth, but I LOVED aspects of her personality. Mostly the fact that she was sort of a terrible person. (Wow I have good taste in characters totally.)(But honestly it was amazing I love stabby morally grey characters okay?)

- I LOVED what we saw of her relationship with her brother. Unfortunately, we didn't see much of it, because half the book was romance.

- I reeeeeaaalllyy didn't care about the romance. They sort of had... um... no chemistry.

- The world building was great and I loved it! A lot!

- Some of the side characters whose names I've forgotten were great!

- I was really bored for most of the book.

So I have mixed feelings about this book. I think Adrienne Young has A LOT of potential. I will definitely be reading her next book, and hopefully I'll enjoy it a lot more than I enjoyed this one. But this book just didn't really click for me. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this. I actually really enjoyed the book and can't wait to read more from the author. The only thing that bothered me was trying to keep up with the vocabulary for the two clans. I thought Eelyn's change of perspective was really well written and didn't happen over night. The struggle she felt with it was also articulated perfectly. ( )
  JulianaMD | Jun 1, 2020 |
Stellar fantasy debut. Gorgeous and tight writing. Nuanced looks at friendship and family. A lovely and achy romance. It's short and I am loving short or standalone fantasy. Praise the YA fantasy gods.

I feel like I cried for the last fifth of this book PURELY because of Young's writing. ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
The women in this book are strong, and many of them are leaders. The men worship their women, and fight to protect their people. I liked that both sexes are seen as warriors and providers. Unfortunately, even the children are encouraged to be strong in this harsh world which mostly leaves no place for innocence and growing up. It makes for some interesting children though, I especially liked Halvard, Fiske's little brother. I heard her next book The Girl the Sea Gave Back is in part about him. I loved everything about this book, and I will definitely be reading anything else she writes.

Come read my full review on my book blog 💕

http://deesreadingtree.home.blog/?p=770 ( )
  Deesreadingtree | May 6, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,786,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible