Sky in the Deep (Sky and Sea, 1) by Adrienne…

Sky in the Deep (Sky and Sea, 1) (edition 2019)

by Adrienne Young (Author)

Series: Sky and Sea (1)

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan, but when faced with her brother's betrayal, and driven by a growing love for her brother's friend Fiske, she attempts to unite the two clans.
Member:DDRoland
Title:Sky in the Deep (Sky and Sea, 1)
Authors:Adrienne Young (Author)
Info:Wednesday Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young was a May COYER book club pick. I had it in my TBR and it was just the motivation I needed to pick it up.

This book was S.L.O.W. but it was descriptive and fascinating. The only reason I was able to keep going is because I wanted to know more and more about Eelyn and what was happening with the Riki. There were enough differences from our world to this world that I wanted to know more.

I also think that it was a huge testament to one of my core beliefs: we aren't all that different when you get down to the base of a person. I loved this book for communicating that so beautifully. During times like these it is very easy to lose sight of that.

There are so many characters to love in Sky in the Deep and a few we're meant to actively dislike. Halvard had to be my favorite. How can you not love that innocent in a world where there isn't much?

I really admired Eelyn. She's the one who had to do the hardwork in this book. I liked Fiske too. He didn't want anything to happen to his family and he meant business about it too. Iri, Myra, Aghe, Inge, and Runa were all great characters too.

I really enjoyed Sky in the Deep. I was bummed when I thought it was a stand alone but pretty excited when I found out it was a companion novel.

stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Apr 4, 2021 |
Listened to audio narrated well by Khristine Hvam. This story is about Eelyn, born and bred to be a warrior for her clan in the unending battles with other clans. Believing her brother dead from a battle with the Riki's years ago, she's shocked when she sees him fighting with the Riki clan against their own. Chasing after her brother leads her to being a captive in the Riki clan, purchased by her brother's friend Fiske in order to keep her safe, Eelyn is an angry young woman, she rages over her brother's treachery and spends her time being resentful and planning her escape. The only thing is, while she's there, she also see's the Riki are very much like her own clan, with kindness, cruelty and charm. Fiske works hard to protect her from his clan and from herself for the love of her brother, but she doesn't make it easy.

Eelyn goes through a lot of change and growth in this story of warring clans, who end up coming together to fight a common foe, and we get a small bit of romance to boot. Very Viking like clan battles and the author drops you into battle from the first page, then the story becomes more about Eelyn raging against her circumstances and her brother's betrayal. This went on for a bit longer than I liked but eventually we get back to fighting and her realizing that these two clans need to work together if they want to survive, which I did like. So I didn't love it but I did like it.

More of my reviews can be found at https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
This is definitely going on my favorites list! I absolutely loved this unique story! It's very different from most YA books that I've read. Instead of the "chosen one" or the princess, Eelyn is just a normal girl living in her tribe like all the other girls. Yes, she is a warrior, but so is her best friend. So is most of her village.

It's her normalcy that gets her into trouble when she follows her "dead" brother into the enemy clan. She has to learn how to cope behind enemy lines, and through it realizes how not so different they really are.

There's obviously more to the story, but i don't want to spoil any of it! It really is such a beautiful book and Eelyn reminds me so much of many of us. We get this idea of people in our heads and refuse to think that maybe we were told wrong our entire lives. Maybe what we think isn't actually the truth behind it all.

An open heart and an open mind can take all of us a long way. ( )
  Yodareads12 | Nov 30, 2020 |
I received with thanks an ARC copy of Sky in the Deep from St Martins Press & Netgalley.

This is my true and honest review of Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young. This is due to be published on 24th April 2018

This was amazing. Sky in the Deep was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 and it did not let me down. It has an amazing cast of characters and the lead was likeable. This book was brutal in parts and that only just added to the story and the enjoyment of the book.

Great book for fantasy lovers and who enjoy tales Vikings and strong female characters who can hold their own.
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |

van de Water, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Joel
who has never tried to tame my wild heart
"They're coming."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,136,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible