Love and Ruin: A Novel by Paula McLain

Love and Ruin: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Paula McLain (Author)

Member:Margeryw
Title:Love and Ruin: A Novel
Authors:Paula McLain (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2018), Edition: First Edition, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:novel

Love and Ruin by Paula McLain

English (33)  German (1)  All languages (34)
I really enjoyed this book, the writing style was fresh and clear, I felt as though I could see the scenes being described from D day to Cuba, to the Caribbean, Spain, London, France, it was so vivid. I always knew what an ass Hemingway was, such a male chauvinist, this was a thought provoking vision into the complexities of the man. It did not take away from the fact that he was a great writer, but such a man of the times. I admired Marty Gelhorn, now she was a woman ahead of her times, I'm so glad to have met her, so to speak. She was a woman full of spunk and guts, I'm so pleased that she was the one to put him in his place. Good book, I would recommend it to those of you inclined to read historical fiction based on a true story. I wish they would make this book into a movie with Spielberg
directing. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
If you want good historical fiction about women whose stories seem to be forgotten, pick up any of Paula McLain’s books. This one is about Martha Gellhorn, a war correspondent from the 1930s-1980s who was also Ernest Hemingway’s 3rd wife. The book focuses mainly on her early career and tumultuous life with Hemingway. McLain does such a great job of putting you in the setting and this book goes to some amazing places (Spain, Cuba, Montana, all over Europe). Also, I had no idea of the Russo-Finnish war until I read this book.
I was lucky to see McLain speak at the Rochester library a few years ago. Her life and the way she picks her subjects and researches is really fascinating. If she comes to your bookstore/library definitely go see her. ( )
  strandbooks | Dec 31, 2018 |
Martha, an aspiring journalist and writer, runs into Hemingway when she is on vacation in Key West. They quickly develop a friendship, with Hemingway taking interest in her career. When the Spanish Civil War erupts, both writers travel separately to Madrid separately. Reunited at the "press" hotel, the two find themselves irresistibly drawn to one another. Besotted, Hemingway begins the process of divorcing his current wife, and sets up a home with Martha in Cuba.

In the beginning of the book, the author kept using the past tense. It made the book really hard to get into. However, once the author switched to present tense, I found myself getting into the story and the characters. It was fascinating to read about an adventurous, courageous and ground breaking woman. I found myself googling Martha after I finished the book, I just wanted to know every detail about her. If you find yourself stuck after the first few chapters, kept pushing along, the book really picks up speed. Overall, well worth reading. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Dec 6, 2018 |
Love and Ruin by Paula McLain is the fictionalized account of the relationship between Ernest Hemingway and Martha Ellis Gelhorn. Their relationship and hence the book follows a cyclic path through war and peace. The focus remains throughout the relationship more so than the woman and her accomplishments. I guess in many ways I would rather have read the story of Martha Gelhorn, groundbreaking war correspondent, than Martha Gelhorn, one of the wives of Ernest Hemingway.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/12/love-and-ruin.html

Reviewed for NetGalley. ( )
  njmom3 | Dec 5, 2018 |
I very much like the books of this author. They are always very well researched with a writing style I enjoy. This story of Ernest Hemingway's third wife was incredibly interesting. I admit that reading Hemingway's books in college always seemed like a chore. Thus, I know very little of the man, and nothing of his serial marriages.

Written from the point of view of Martha Gellhorn, the relationship begins when she and her mother visit a bar in the Florida Keys. Trying not to be excited, Martha recognizes Hemingway at the end of the bar. Surprised when he walks up to her, she and her mother are invited to his home and wife.

An accomplished writer, Martha wrote for Collier's and followed Ernest into the Spanish Civil War. Their tempestuous love affair began there amid the terror of death and honor of those fighting for their country. Soon after returning to the US, they began to live together in Cuba. Finding a house and staking it as theirs, both writers fell into a rhythm of writing, loving and living.

History shows that Martha loved his three sons by two previous wives. All seemed well until Ernest's fame lit a match with the designation that his book For Whom The Bell Tolls became the book of all books! After he became tremendously popular, the marriage started to fall apart at the seams. When Martha decided to go to Europe to cover WWII, Ernest knew that while he was drawn to her independence, truly what he wanted was a stay at home, pregnant wife.

While his drinking became legend and his cruelty spun out of control, he could not abide a wife who traveled without him and left him "alone." A very troubled man needed a woman at his side always.

This is a wonderful love story with the backdrop of the barbarity of war.

Highly recommended.
4/5 Stars ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Nov 28, 2018 |
There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. How old must you be before you know that?
-Ernest Hemingway,
For Whom The Bell Tolls
For Julie Barer
Near dawn on July 13, 1936, as three assassins scaled a high garden wall in Tenerife hoping to catch the band of armed guards unaware, I was asleep in a tiny room in Stuttgart, waiting for my life to begin.

"A novel about [Ernest Hemingway's] passionate, stormy marriage to Martha Gellhorn-- a fiercely independent, ambitious young woman who would become one of the greatest war correspondents of the twentieth century ... In the shadow of the impending Second World War, and set against the turbulent backdrops of Madrid and Cuba, Martha and Ernest's relationship and their professional careers ignite. But when Ernest publishes the biggest literary success of his career, For Whom the Bell Tolls, they are no longer equals, and Martha must make a choice: surrender to the confining demands of being a famous man's wife or risk losing Ernest by forging a path as her own woman and writer. It is a dilemma that could force her to break his heart, and hers"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible