Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie

Death in the Clouds (original 1935; edition 1969)

by Agatha Christie

Member:evareads
Title:Death in the Clouds
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Fontana (1969), Paperback
Tags:crime

Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie (1935)

English (34)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (38)
On a flight from Paris, the close confines lead to murder, and a true challenge for Hercule Poirot.

The old closed-environment murder is nicely utilised on board an aeroplane from Paris to Croydon. It’s a powerful, intricately-constructed little mystery, and possibly the greatest test of Poirot’s little gray cells in the entire canon. Many elements make this little novel remarkable: Poirot and Japp remain an unbeatable pairing (the David Suchet/Philip Jackson film adaptation plays up this angle to a great degree). The wealth of suspects – as in the best closed-room mysteries – are all fascinating, viable candidates (as in "Murder on the Orient Express"), without coming across as contrived (as in "Death on the Nile"). The solution itself certainly borders on the unlikely, but every element is so skillfully handled that it comes across as, at the very least, possible. Every clue is introduced fairly into the story, but – with a feat of legerdemain she knew so well – Christie seemingly plays her hand several times, while really obfuscating the most important clues, and continuing to up the ante against Poirot, chapter after chapter. It’s a prime example of Christie as compiler of puzzles.

At the end of the day, this is a read that should leave you satisfied, whether you figure out the killer or – far more likely! – not.

Poirot ranking: 3rd of 38. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
I listened to this book. I don't think I had read it before. Poirot is on a plane from France with a dozen or so other people. A woman is found dead on the flight by what appears to be a blow pipe. No one can remember anyone using a blow pipe. Poirot to the rescue to figure out the mystery.
  taurus27 | Dec 14, 2017 |
An impossible crime story, similar to a locked room mystery. All is great fun, which is why I give it 5 stars. Right up to the solution, which is absurd nonsense. Turns out yes, it really was impossible!

Many details of the story are jokes. I assume that the ending is sarcastic self-parody, ridiculing her fans for putting up with such silliness.

(The boomslang is real. The name is cognate to the words beam schlong. The venom is quite different from what is described in the novel. She just made that up. She became a poisons expert during WWI. That was part of the reason she started writing detective stories.) ( )
  johnclaydon | Aug 9, 2017 |
I decided one day that I should start listening to audiobooks while driving, at the gym, doing household chores, etc. I had always wanted to read Agatha Christie, so I started there pretty much on a whim.

This novel is part of the Poirot series of detective novels.

It's difficult to review a mystery without giving spoilers and I never write spoilers in reviews, so I'll just say that I enjoyed getting to know Poirot and his friends better and I loved hearing how the story unfolded in the end. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO

ORMOND BEADLE
The September sun beat down hotly on Le Bourget aerodrome as the passengers crossed the ground and climbed into the air liner "Prometheus," due to depart for Croydon in a few minutes' time.
aka Death in the Air

The classic locked-room mystery gets a lift from Dame Agatha, as Hercule Poirot is called on to solve a murder committed during an airplane flight from France to England.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425099148, Mass Market Paperback)

In this "crime puzzle of the first order" (New York Times), an ordinary flight to London turns extraordinary when a female passenger is shot to death with a venom-tipped dart. Even more bizarre is that the murder went unnoticed by everyone on board-- including the brilliant Hercule Poirot.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

This is a Poirot book, in which a murder is committed on a flight to Paris. From seat No.9, Hercule Poirot was ideally placed to observe his fellow air passengers. Over to his right sat a pretty young woman, clearly infatuated with the man opposite; ahead, in seat No.13, sat a Countess with a poorly-concealed cocaine habit; across the gangway in seat No.8, a detective writer was being troubled by an aggressive wasp. What Poirot did not yet realize was that behind him, in seat No.2, sat the slumped, lifeless body of a woman.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,248,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible