Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Wicked and the Wallflower

by Sarah MacLean

"When Wicked Comes Calling . . .When a mysterious stranger finds his way into her bedchamber and offers his help in landing a duke, Lady Felicity Faircloth agrees--on one condition. She's seen enough of the world to believe in passion, and won't accept a marriage without it. The Wallflower Makes a Dangerous Bargain . . .Bastard son of a duke and king of London's dark streets, Devil has spent a lifetime wielding power and seizing opportunity, and the spinster wallflower is everything he needs to exact a revenge years in the making. All he must do is turn the plain little mouse into an irresistible temptress, set his trap, and destroy his enemy. For the Promise of Passion . . . But there's nothing plain about Felicity Faircloth, who quickly decides she'd rather have Devil than another. Soon, Devil's carefully laid plans are in chaos and he must choose between everything he's ever wanted . . . and the only thing he's ever desired"--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Recently added byArina40, Patricia_Bart, JJGeevs, Fenny

Although it took me several attempts of starting to read this novel since its release, I really enjoyed this. I love it when the supposed brightness of the ton is contrasted with the darkness of the rookery. I appreciated how convoluted the siblings' past seemed until I got all the clues together in my head. Felicity and Dev were the perfect complements to each other. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Felicity Faircloth used to move in sparkling circles, but is now an "aging spinster" of 27, shunned by her former friends in London. When an unmarried Duke comes to town, Felicity rashly claims that they are engaged - and, almost magically, a stranger appears and promises he can make her claim true. Devil (Devon) and his brother Beast (Whit) run Covent Garden - not nearly as posh as it is now - and Felicity is intrigued by a life utterly different from the one she's known in Mayfair. But Devil, of course, has plans of his own - the Duke is his and Whit's half-brother Ewan, and they had a pact to deny their shared father: no heirs. So Devil is planning to help Felicity get engaged to the Duke, then seduce and "ruin" her to prove to Ewan that there will be no going back on their bargain.

Some of the historical detail was interesting, and the sexy scenes were appropriately steamy, but there was a lot of repetition (of ideas as well as specific language, e.g. "the long column of her neck" at least four times), and overall the premise and plot seemed thin and unlikely. Felicity seemed all too happy to be "ruined," and once Devil fell for her, he convinced himself that he needed to give her up so she could have the life she wanted - even though she wouldn't.

I've heard that the second and third in the series are better.

Quotes

"Revenge is sport. It isn't important. Nothing changes in the end, and double the wrongs have been committed...And innocent people have been hurt." (Felicity to Devil, ch. 25) ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 28, 2020 |
Sarah MacLean has outdone herself with this first book in the series. Many books have been written about trying to use a woman to get revenge but Ms MacLean bends over backwards to make the most of the plan. At times, funny and at even more times heartbreaking, you can't look away from the characters and you hang on waiting the the very Happily Ever After. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
“It’s strange. All those times we’ve met in darkness, and I’ve only ever seen you in sunlight.”

You couldn't possibly ask for better writing in a romance novel. The characters are well-developed, the writing is fabulous, and the plot is compelling. I am a committed fan, now, and will be working my way through MacLean's already published works.

Lady Felicity Faircloth (aka Finished Felicity) would give just about anything to restore her place in the ton. Her group of "friends" have abandoned her after she found herself part of a scandal, leaving her a plain, aging, lonely wallflower. That is until she makes a deal with the devil in the dark.

Devil has fought for everything he has. He started from nothing and built himself and his siblings to a place of not just comfort, but of prosperity. He runs the darkness, and nothing is out of his reach. With eyes set on revenge, he comes up with a plan and Felicity Faircloth is just the pawn he needs.

I can't say that I loved this as much as [b:Brazen and the Beast|40221961|Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)|Sarah MacLean|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1543966730i/40221961._SY75_.jpg|57373068] (Whit is just so brooding and wonderful), but I couldn't help but get lost in this story. The steam, the dialogue, the character development, everything is just perfection. ( )
  ChelseaMcE | Mar 19, 2020 |
This was just THE BEST! This book is smart and funny and sexy and swoony and is exactly why I read romance. We have a non-aristocratic up-and-comer who works like a dog and a smart and resourceful lady who takes control of her present and her future, which are also things I like (I know, I am such an American.) Who doesn't love a pirate of the swashbuckling variety (or in this case a smuggler of the bourbon variety?) There is a heartbreaking backstory, and redemption, and love. Did I mention this was the best? Oh, yes, I did, well that is because it is the best. Can't wait to read Whit's story. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 30, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Sarah MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,554,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible