The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

The Poet X (original 2018; edition 2020)

by Elizabeth Acevedo (Author)

"Xiomara Batista feels unheard and unable to hide in her Harlem neighborhood. Ever since her body grew into curves, Xiomara Batista has learned to let her fists and her fierceness do the talking. She pours all her frustration and passion onto the pages of a leather notebook, reciting the words to herself like prayers--especially after she catches feelings for a boy in her bio class named Aman, who her family can never know about. Mami is determined to force her daughter to obey the laws of the church, and Xiomara understands that her thoughts are best kept to herself. When she is invited to join her school's slam poetry club, she can't stop thinking about performing her poems"--Dust jacket.… (more)
Member:Bugboytroy
Title:The Poet X
Authors:Elizabeth Acevedo (Author)
Info:Quill Tree Books (2020), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Work Information

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo (Author) (2018)

“I only know that learning to believe in the power of my own words has been the most freeing experience of my life. It has brought me the most light. And isn’t that what a poem is? A lantern glowing in the dark.” – Elizabeth Acevedo, The Poet X

Poetry that reads like a novel. This book provides a tender portrait of a sixteen-year-old young woman, the daughter of Dominican immigrants, struggling to find her identity and assert her independence. Her mother is a devout Catholic and her father is a reformed womanizer. She wants to please her mother but feels constrained by her many rules for proper behavior. Protagonist Xiomara, aka the Poet X, writes poems and thoughts in a journal given to her by her twin brother. The story revolves around how she becomes a performer of slam poetry.

It touches on a wide variety of topics, such as frustration, guilt, first love, body image, power of language, mother-daughter relationships, sexism, questioning of religious beliefs, sexuality and self-acceptance. There are a few instances where Xiomara writes “Drafts” and then we see the final version, illustrating what she thinks to herself versus what face she is willing to show to the world. I found it an expressive book that delivers an uplifting, relevant, and empowering message.
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
New Favorite. The first book that has ever made me cry. ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Oct 23, 2022 |
A series of poems of a girl's coming of age story being Latin and living in America. ( )
  Barbara-Feliciano | Oct 19, 2022 |
5 stars

A NEW FAVORITE!!

This was relatable on so many levels. As a poetry writting Latina child, born of a mother who wanted to be a nun and whose strict cultural and religious rules divided us in places only poetry could heal, in ways God promised. Man...I felt this in my bones. ( )
  Jonez | Sep 23, 2022 |
Unbelievable, extraordinary, beautiful.
I have never been one for poetry, so this was an epic journey for my senses and emotions that I'll never be able to shake off. Thank you EA for this experience. ( )
  Joannerdrgs | Sep 22, 2022 |

Acevedo, ElizabethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Acevedo, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Katherine Bolaños and my former students at Buck Lodge Middle School 2010-2012, and all the little sisters yearning to see themselves: this is for you
Friday, August 24
Stoop-Sitting

The summer is made for stoop-sitting
and since it's the last week before school starts,
Harlem is opening its eyes to September.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth Acevedo's book The Poet X was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,300,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible