The Woman Lit by Fireflies by Jim Harrison

The Woman Lit by Fireflies (1990)

by Jim Harrison

Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Three short novels, all of which I enjoyed to different degrees. The first, "Brown Dog", is the lively tale of a rough-edged scavenger who illegally makes off with a well-preserved Indian from the bottom of Lake Superior, goes to strange lengths to shield the location of ancient burial mounds, and generally carries on an irreverent, bawdy, cagey existence. The next, "Sunset Limited" reunites old college friends in an intrigue-filled attempt to rescue one of their own, a deeply troubled renegade named Zip, from Mexican prison. The last, title story is my favorite. It tells of middle-aged, migraine-racked Clare, who suddenly flees her chauvinist husband at a rest stop along an Iowa cornfield. The writing, which intones Clare's lost friends, wise daughter and dreams of living a meaningful life, while she walks the crop rows and ad libs a campsite, is lustrous. I will seek out Harrison's work from here on. ( )
1 vote ThoughtPolice | Jan 28, 2014 |
To Anna

Across the odd contours of the American landscape-Jim Harrison's country-its natives search for that which isn't quite irretrievably lost, for the incandescent beneath the ordinary. An ex-bible student with raucously asocial tendencies rescues the miraculously preserved body of an Indian chief from the frigid depths of Lake Superior, in a caper that nets a wildly unexpected bounty; a band of sixties radicals, now approaching middle age, reunites to free an old comrade from a Mexican jail and rewrite their common history; a fifty-year-old suburban housewife flees quietly from her abusive businessman husband at a highway rest stop, climbs a fence, and ecplores the bittersweet pageant of the preceding years within the sanctuary of an Iowa cornfield. "Brown Dog"..."Sunset Limited"..."The Woman Lit by Fireflies"...these are three novellas that display Jim Harrison at the very top of his form. (0-671-74452-6)

Harrison has garnered critical acclaim for masterpieces such as "Legends of the Fall, The Beast God Forgot to Invent," and, most recently, "Returning to Earth." Now, "The Woman Lit by Fireflies,"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible