The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore by Kim Fu

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore (2018)

by Kim Fu

Some pre-teen girls have a bad camping trip then go on to live fairly normal lives. That’s the gist of this book. It would have made more sense to me if their lives had been impacted more significantly by the camping experience or if the girls had interacted as adults. I was pretty disappointed with the ending too. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
I liked this book....didn't love it. This is the story of 5 girls who become lost and stranded on a remote island while attending camp. They are all around 11 years old. The format of the book is to separate short chapters about what happened at camp with longer stories about each of the girls...their backstories and what happened to them as they reached adulthood. Through these stories, we witness how that experience affected their choices and personalities. Some were more affected than others. Because the girls had almost no contact with each other following their rescue, the book is more like a series of connected stories than a novel. It's well written and the characters are all engaging and well developed. ( )
  LynnB | Aug 24, 2018 |
It's been a while since I DNF'd a book. I hate doing that because I keep thinking, "what if it had gotten better?"

But I just couldn't read this one anymore. The story starts with these four girls who are in a camp together. And then the next chapter goes on to tell the future of one of those girls. Then another 'in the camp' chapter followed by another girl's story.

I read half of the book before finally giving up. I just couldn't see the point of reading all of it. The past and the future, there were no connections. And it was getting quite boring. So, after a long struggle, I gave up.

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore was, quite unfortunately, just not for me. ( )
  Swibells | Jul 18, 2018 |
In The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore, five girls set out with their camp leader on a kayaking and camping excursion. Their leader decides to push the girls even harder, rowing for a farther, more secluded island for camping. No one from camp knows where they went, and no one from camp knows that these girls are stranded and alone. There is a pivotal point in these characters’ lives that changes the course of their adulthoods.

The novel is told in vignettes, back and forth in time from the adolescent girls at Camp Forevermore and then their later adult lives. Each girl’s story is told in turn. Not all the girls’ adult stories seem relevant to the camp incident, but perhaps that’s the point the author is subtly implying: some girls overcome, and some never recover. I appreciated that the characters were not cardboard stereotypes. The girls have different personalities and come from different backgrounds, and that adds to their experience and also to their suffering on the island.

I enjoyed this novel. The writing is intelligent and contemplative. The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore is a story of basest natures coming to the surface when faced with adversity with the follow up of how one trauma can infect people’s minds for the rest of their lives. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
  ErickaS | May 2, 2018 |
A solid, well-constructed story of the 1990s, of five prepubescent girls of the Pacific Northwest in kayaks and in a tragedy that shapes some lives and seemingly leaves others relatively untouched. It's a short book which ideally should be read at one sitting, but if not, keep a cheat sheet handy. The alpha girls are Nita (three years a camper), Andee (charity case), and Dina (looks like a model). Isabel and Siobhan are the leftouts. The tale of how the resourceful girls make their way back to civilization (including one brief Lord of the Flies-type incident) alternates with their lives as women. Fu plots out just enough mystery to keep the reader advancing with the girls and looking back at them for foreshadowing and aftershocks.

"The class inched together through Ulysses. Even the students most inclined to showing off, the ones with an aching, holdover need to be recognized as special, who forgot they were in supposedly free-form adult discussions and raised their arms with quivering hands like the tails of agitated dogs, even they admitted they could not parse this web of near-infinite points." ( )
  froxgirl | Mar 28, 2018 |
For JP
The girls stood on the dock and sang the camp song.

A novel about "a group of young girls at a remote camp--and the night that changes everything and will shape their lives for decades to come"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible