Pretty Girls Dancing (2017)

by Kylie Brant

Years ago, in the town of Saxon Falls, young Kelsey Willard disappeared and was presumed dead. The tragedy left her family with a fractured life. Now another teenage girl has gone missing, ripping open old wounds for the Willards. Bureau of Criminal Investigation agent Mark Foster has stumbled on uncanny parallels in the lives of the two missing girls that could unlock clues to a serial killer's identity. That means breaking down the walls of the Willards' long-guarded secrets and getting to a truth that is darker than he bargained for. Now, to rescue one missing girl, he must first solve the riddles that disappeared with another.… (more)

I enjoyed this mystery/thriller about a serial killer who kidnaps and kills young girls, leaving their bodies to be found dressed in leotards and ballet slippers. It's an especially well-written look into the ways the lives of families are affected by tragedy and how they cope (or don't). It did take a while for me to keep everyone straight, since it switches among several characters, but once I did, I could appreciate the structure and the way things unraveled. This was my first time reading anything by Kylie Brant, but I don't think it will be my last. I'm also not so secretly hoping she decides to write a series featuring Mark Foster; I would love to read more featuring him. ( )
  kiaweathersby | Sep 16, 2020 |
This was a good serial killer/murder mystery story. I loved that the story was compelling and unpredictable. There were so many suspects that I honestly had no clue who the killer was until the revealing. There were a few things, however, that prevented me from giving this a 5 star review. First, the story is told from five points of view. The storytelling from Whitney's point of view was annoying to me. She constantly refers to her captor as "the freak" which seemed contrived and unrealistic. It was almost like the author was trying too hard to sound like a 14 year old girl. Second, it was obvious that some of the non-guilty suspects were definitely guilty of something but we never find what becomes of them. Third, there is one question that still nags at me. Where did Kelsey get paper and pen to write about her captivity? Overall, I did really enjoy it and would definitely read more by this author.

Thanks to netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  cwhisenant11 | May 15, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,981,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible