Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American…

Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic

by David Frum

Written by a self-declared conservative and member of the GOP, this book gives a very good analysis of everything that is wrong about Donald Trump and the corrupt system that got him elected.
Well-written and very informative. ( )
  hulswit | Aug 8, 2018 |
In so many ways, a painful and rather discouraging book. It is startling to see how quickly Donald Trump has managed to exploit, then upset, American politics and government. But I strive to take heart from the Trumpian 'gifts' author Frum enumerates in his last chapter, "Hope" : (1) A wider vision. (2)Rediscovery of the preciousness of truth. (3) The bully is a coward. (4) The Republican Party will outlast Trump. (4) The forward momentum of European authoritarians has been checked. (5) A surge in civic spirit. -- The book is well-written, copiously documented, and worthwhile. ( )
  David_of_PA | Jul 14, 2018 |
I had never thought to live in the dark and dangerous times of Trump.

The vain, odious Trump is devoid of spiritual values, for he is a boastful narcissist, serial philanderer, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, thrice married, twice divorced, uncontrite compulsive liar, a billionaire who hasn’t paid taxes in 20 years, accused of serial sexual assaults, misogynist, racist, bigot, homophobe, who misused donations to his foundation to pay legal fees and portraits of himself, an angry old white man on a par with a rutting goat.

He’s an egotistical megalomaniac, a pompous blowhard who has become the Groper in Chief, the Pervert of the United States, the director of nepotism, the cesspool of toadies, sycophants, bagmen, lickspittles, a self aggrandizer, a paranoid, delusional, purblind bully.

David Frum’s book has laid open the rotting body of the GOP administration by exposing the enablers, appeasers, and believers of Trump and his kakistocracy. ( )
2 vote ShelleyAlberta | Jun 1, 2018 |
I was a bit underwhelmed by this book. Not that I didn't agree with it -- I largely did; I'm more liberal than Frum is but we agree on the dangers that the current president poses to the nation and the world. But I just didn't think there was much new here to be gleaned if you, like I, have been laser-focused on the news since November 2016. I'm probably not the target audience -- if you're, say, a right-leaning independent who genuinely wants to understand why people are so worried about Trump this might be the book for you! For me it was mostly review. ( )
1 vote GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
As one can read by the book's subtitle, this is not a positive examination of the Trump presidency. If you love the United States of America, you should read this book and do your part to make sure this president is turfed out at the next election. Frum, a former speech writer and special assistant to President George W. Bush, has years of conservative and Republican credentials to prove he is not a Democrat or a liberal angry at losing political power and an election.

He describes Trump as a cruel, vengeful, egoistic, ignorant, lazy, avaricious,and treacherous individual who is enabled by other careless, cynical, shortsighted, morally obtuse and rancorous individuals. To prove his point, he documents a multitude of actions by President Trump and his supporters many of which have put the American nation and government in great danger not to mention in some cases other countries as well.

While painting a grim picture of the US Government in the hands of the Trump administration, his last chapter brings the book to a relatively positive point by using recent surveys of the American people which illustrate Trump's actions are awaking a renewed interest in democracy in the US populace. According to Frum, the American people apparently do not like bullies and President Trump is a bully. ( )
  lamour | May 11, 2018 |

Frum argues that "Trump and his administration are damaging the tenets and accepted practices of American democracy, perhaps irrevocably. As he and his family enrich themselves, the presidency itself falls into the hands of the generals and financiers who surround him ... [The author then examines] how Trump could push America toward illiberalism, what the consequences could be for our nation and our everyday lives, and what we can do to prevent it"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible