Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell by…

Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell (edition 2019)

by Kevin Hearne (Author)

"Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, a hero, the Chosen One, was born...and so begins every fairy tale ever told. This is not that fairy tale. There is a Chosen One, but he is unlike any One who has ever been Chosened. And there is a faraway kingdom, but you have never been to a magical world quite like the land of Pell. There, a plucky farm boy will find more than he's bargained for on his quest to awaken the sleeping princess in her cursed tower. First there's the Dark Lord who wishes for the boy's untimely death...and also very fine cheese. Then there's a bard without a song in her heart but with a very adorable and fuzzy tail, an assassin who fears not the night but is terrified of chickens, and a mighty fighter more frightened of her sword than of her chain-mail bikini. This journey will lead to sinister umlauts, a trash-talking goat, the Dread Necromancer Steve, and a strange and wondrous journey to the most peculiar "happily ever after" that ever once-upon-a-timed"--… (more)
Member:SheLovesMaisie
Title:Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2019), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Collections:Fiction, Wishlist, Trade paperback

Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell by Kevin Hearne

They make the obvious joke a bit too often. Occassional the story strays from puns and fun towards beating a joke more than the Morningwood was polished. ( )
  ichosethis | Oct 4, 2019 |
This was by far the funniest book I've listened to in awhile. If you liked the movie Robin Hood Men in Tights or P. J. Brackston's books you will probably like this one too. It's so irreverent, full of nonsensical thinking and innuendos I found myself laughing out loud quite a lot. As in, had to stop the playback until I was done laughing and could pay attention again.

I will say tho, if you don't have a strong background in all types of fairy tales you might miss a lot of the jokes.

I can not wait to get my hands on the second book ! ( )
  mitsuzanna | Sep 26, 2019 |
Great book. If you like Douglas Adams or Christopher Moore, you will enjoy this. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
Humorous fantasy can be hit or miss. This one was a bit slow at the beginning, but I will say it picked up steam once they started killing off characters. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Sep 19, 2019 |
This is a great take on the farmer boy as hero trope. At times its over the top, and I wish that Fia and her armor were explained a bit better - her chainmail bikini was too close to the actual trope. Rather than skewing it, they embraced it.

As for the story, its cute. Its nothing special. The magic of this book is the comedy, for example, the dark lord joining the quest, or an evil witch out for social justice. I will be tracking down the next book in this series. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 15, 2019 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawson, Delilah S.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Biel, ScottCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many moons ago in a principality far, far away, a hirsute lady slept in a tower that was covered with thorns.
It's raining humans around here.  It use to be you only had to worry about lightening, but now you get struck by women.  I didn't realize the weather would be so severe once we left the farm. What do you call this kind of storm? Is it a hurricane? But actually a her a cane?  I understand why People speak of them with such dread because they're obviously deadly.
Have you learned nothing from this journey? Magic is a drug. You can't just go around eating everything that sparkles.
Wow! That looks pretty scrumptious!

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,795,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible