Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell by…

Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell (edition 2019)

by Kevin Hearne (Author)

Series: Tales of Pell (1)

"Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, a hero, the Chosen One, was born...and so begins every fairy tale ever told. This is not that fairy tale. There is a Chosen One, but he is unlike any One who has ever been Chosened. And there is a faraway kingdom, but you have never been to a magical world quite like the land of Pell. There, a plucky farm boy will find more than he's bargained for on his quest to awaken the sleeping princess in her cursed tower. First there's the Dark Lord who wishes for the boy's untimely death...and also very fine cheese. Then there's a bard without a song in her heart but with a very adorable and fuzzy tail, an assassin who fears not the night but is terrified of chickens, and a mighty fighter more frightened of her sword than of her chain-mail bikini. This journey will lead to sinister umlauts, a trash-talking goat, the Dread Necromancer Steve, and a strange and wondrous journey to the most peculiar "happily ever after" that ever once-upon-a-timed"--… (more)
Member:Altivo-
Title:Kill the Farm Boy: The Tales of Pell
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2019), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Work Information

Kill the Farm Boy by Kevin Hearne

I don’t think the humor in this book will appeal to everyone but it definitely appealed to me. Turning almost every fairytale trope on its ear, I laughed throughout the entire book. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 20, 2021 |
Very well executed fun fluff. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Kill the Farm Boy is a silly book that sends up and undermines some well-worn clichés of the fantasy genre’s hero narrative. It asks questions like “What does it mean to be the Chosen One?” and “Who deserves to be a protagonist?” and then unloads goat poop on them. This succeeds with varying results.

I read most of the book on a three-hour plane ride, and at first I did enjoy it. Somewhere in the middle, though, it started to drag a bit, and I still hadn’t finished it by the time my trip was over. Instead, I switched gears and finished Meddling Kids, which I read at a snail’s pace over the last few months.

I think part of the reason that I lost momentum was that the book started feeling a bit muddled, as though the story underlying the jokes and satire wasn’t as robust as it needed to be. Also, I was no longer trapped inside a metal tube hurtling through the sky, so I had more things to distract me.

The main twist to Kill the Farm Boy is that the protagonist isn’t who you think it’s going to be after the first chapter. When the book opens, we meet an unremarkable farm boy named Worstley anointed as Chosen One by a sketchy-seeming fairy who also gives Worstley’s goat the power of speech. Worstley and Gustave, the goat, set off on a quest to do something or other involving destiny and then the story takes a decisive left turn that I won’t spoil here.

As the adventure continues, the cast of characters grows and we meet an oddball assortment of misfits and outcasts. Each one gets some time in the spotlight, but it’s sometimes hard to tell which character is driving the story, and I quickly forgot the aim of their quest after putting the book down for a few days.

The general silly tone also means that the stakes feel non-existent, even when characters suddenly and unexpectedly die. Every death plays as comedy. Also, there are several moments where it feels like the authors are summarizing something tedious to save time and jump ahead even though the book still feels like an overlong joke.

I definitely laughed or chuckled several times while reading this book, so it was an enjoyable read. I just wish there was something more interesting underneath all the silliness. Not every comic fantasy author can be Terry Pratchett, though they might try.

Full disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book from Net Galley.

Review originally published at Full of Words. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
When I heard about this book, I immediately had to read it. I love Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. The first book of his new Seven Kennings fantasy series, A Plague of Giants, was an awesome read as well. I like the humor in the Iron Druid series and hoped Kill the Farm Boy would have more of the same. The book blurb invoked Princess Bride, promising humor along the lines of that classic plus Terry Pratchett's Discworld. I jumped right on it....had to read it.

When I read an advanced readers copy, I promise to give an honest review. And I'm going to do just that.

I enjoy Kevin Hearne's books. I've read them all. Look forward to more.

But I didn't like Kill the Farm Boy.

I expected wit, a dash of sarcasm, and irreverent references like Discworld....plus the tongue-in-cheek fairy tale quality of Princess Bride. Afterall, the book blurb did compare this new book to both of those.

But....Kill the Farm Boy is instead filled with lowbrow dick jokes, constant quips about masturbation, farting, poo, boogers.....it's like being dropped into room full of middle schoolers who don't have to watch their language. I found the humor as forced as an Adam Sandler movie. Nothing like Terry Pratchett or William Goldman's Princess Bride.

I read about 75% of the book.....and DNF'd it as unreadable.

Now....this is entirely my opinion. Others might read it and absolutely love it. I did not. I expected more from this book....and it disappointed me. I found the humor forced and juvenile. Not my cup of tea. For me, the plot was also tired and recycled.

This series is just not for me. Moving on. I still love, love, love Kevin Hearne. And I will still be right at the front of the line the next time he has a book come out. I'm not familiar with his co-author on this book -- Delilah Dawson -- but I know she writes humorous, dark fantasy for adults and teens that have received good ratings from reviewers. Like I said....this series is just not for me. I hope others love it, and that they co-author more books to make those readers happy. I, however, am moving on. Not every book is for every person.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Random House/Ballentine via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.** ( )
1 vote JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
The combination of fantasy and humor felt like it would be perfect for me, but this is just too broad to actually be funny. I rolled my eyes one too many times, and then I put it down about 3/4 of the way through. ( )
  duchessjlh | Oct 21, 2020 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawson, Delilah S.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Biel, ScottCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Many moons ago in a principality far, far away, a hirsute lady slept in a tower that was covered with thorns.
It's raining humans around here.  It use to be you only had to worry about lightening, but now you get struck by women.  I didn't realize the weather would be so severe once we left the farm. What do you call this kind of storm? Is it a hurricane? But actually a her a cane?  I understand why People speak of them with such dread because they're obviously deadly.
Have you learned nothing from this journey? Magic is a drug. You can't just go around eating everything that sparkles.
Wow! That looks pretty scrumptious!

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,976,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible