The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve…

The Boneless Mercies

by April Genevieve Tucholke

Four female mercenaries known as Boneless Mercies, weary of roaming Vorseland, ignored and forgotten until they are needed for mercy killings, decide to seek glory by going after a legendary monster in this reimagining of Beowulf.

Student Review by: Sara R. (12th Grade)
Grade range: 9th Grade and up
Literary Merit: Excellent
Characterization: Excellent

Review:
The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke follows a group of women known as Boneless Mercies. The main character Frey is tired of her daily work of mercy killing and longs for honor and glory. When she and the other Boneless Mercies hear about the Blue Vee Beast, they see their chance to leave death behind them and earn glory instead. The story follows these women: Frey, Juniper, Ovie, Runa, and their male friend Trigve, as they travel across the Vorseland searching for a way to be remembered forever. Their journey will take them to the mysterious Sea Witches and the dangerous Cut Queen in the Red Marsh before they finally reach the Blue Vee Mountains.

This book was absolutely astounding. From the first chapter, I was entirely immersed in a story full of intriguing characters and complex worldbuilding. The entire book has a Viking sort of vibe and reflects elements of the epic tale of Beowulf, only better. I loved that the romance wasn’t the main event in the story. It never felt like it was in your face and the relationship between Frey and Trigve felt real and genuine. The characters were consistent and stayed true to their goals. This book was darker than most fantasy, with frequent graphic violence, but it was not enough to be outright depressing and the close friendships between the girls really lifted this book up. Unlike most fantasy stories, there are many female characters, and nearly all of them are stronger than the men. I would recommend The Boneless Mercies to anyone with an interest in the fantasy genre ( )
  SWONroyal | Jan 4, 2019 |
First of all, can we admire how absolutely beautiful this cover is? I might buy a final edition of this when it comes out just because of how beautiful it is. Looks aside, this is definitely a book you'll want to pick up when it comes out on October 2nd. A gender-bent retelling of Beowulf, this book is all about female empowerment.

The message behind the book is probably one of my favorite things. Frey and her companions are determined to change the master narratives told from generation to generation; narratives that often leave out women and absolutely never mention Mercies. By the end, it's a about women being able to make a name for themselves and being able to do anything men are able to do. I think there might be a second book, but don't quote me on that. Let's just say that there's room at the end to do so.

All in all, if you love Norse mythology, badass female characters, and epic battles against monstrous creatures, you'll definitely fall in love with The Boneless Mercies. Read more at www.between-the-shelves.com! ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
I got this book through NetGalley to review (thank you to NetGalley and the publisher). This is a stand alone novel and was an amazing read. It reminds of a classic Viking hero story but has so much more heart and soul to it. I absolutely loved it and it was one of the best books I have read this year. I could not put this book down and was sad when it ended.

It’s so strange when you read two of your favorite books of the year back to back like this. I just finished Caraval which I adored and then go right into this book which was amazing. I think my family thinks they have lost me into books permanently!

This book follows four girls who journey as Boneless Mercies; they are basically hired by villagers to kill loved ones who are suffering in a way that is quick and quiet. However, this style of life weighs on them all...they are shunned and never have a true home. When Frey and crew hear about an epic monster that needs slaying they decide to take their chances with the monster and try to make new lives for themselves with the prize offered to whomever slays it.

This book was an absolutely amazing blend of classic Viking-style epic and adventure fantasy. I loved the adventure these girls fight through. In addition to all of this it’s a heart-warming tale of friendship, survival, and coming of age. The writing style is beautiful and just perfect. This is one of those rare books you come across that just does everything right.

Overall this was the best book I have read so far this year. I always struggle to explain why I love the books I love so fiercely like this one. This book was a perfect blend of adventure, beautiful writing, amazing characters, coming of age, action, and world-building. Highly recommended to everyone; I think this is a journey everyone should go on. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 21, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,792,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible