Before and Again: A Novel by Barbara…

Before and Again: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Barbara Delinsky (Author)

Member:murphy12
Title:Before and Again: A Novel
Authors:Barbara Delinsky (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), 416 pages
Collections:2018, Read but unowned

Before and Again: A Novel by Barbara Delinsky (2018)

What a great read! If you want to read something that grabs you and takes you for a ride, with many ups and downs, then read “Before and Again “ by Barbara Delinsky. It’s a story with tremendous pain yet tremendous joy. The characters will stay with you long after you finish reading it. It begins in a beautiful peaceful town in Vermont. The setting was exquisite; I felt like I was actually there. The people living in this town were also beautiful and they’d all moved there to start over. If there is in fact a town like this somewhere I wish the author would to tell me where it was because I want to move there!
Mackenzie aka Maggie is the main protagonist and I found myself wanting to be her friend. She experiences horror that most people only have nightmares about and the author has the reader so captivated they’ll find themselves feeling everything Maggie feels. Her resilience is astonishing. Barbara Delinsky developed this character to be someone so deeply good and pure- that I , as the reader, just wanted to give her a hug. There were many different conflicts going on throughout the story yet it was written so perfectly it was never anything but fluid.
This story shows how your entire life can be turned upside down, practically nonexistent, in just ONE second and it might take a long time but there is ALWAYS hope. You’ll be so engrossed, so engaged, you may find yourself speaking aloud to Maggie, Grace or perhaps Ned because of their authenticity.
Barbara Delinsky has always been a talented author but I’d say she’s outdone herself with “Before and Again”. Hated it to end! I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a compelling novel with very real, often flawed characters trying to get by in a world that doesn’t always play nice ( )
  SusanMars | Aug 27, 2018 |
4.5 Stars

Wow! It seems everyone in this book comes to Devon, VT to hide and start a new life. At least that's what the major characters of this book are doing.

A woman who looks at her GPS for just a second or two, runs a stop sign and is hit by a large speeding vehicle. This happens right off the bat in chapter one. The woman (MacKenzie - Maggie) lives but her five year old daughter and the other driver do not.

This is just one of the many, many plot twists that are going on between the covers of this book.

MacKenzie (Maggie) comes to Devon to forget and start a new life. Everything is going fine until her best friend's son puts the town in the limelight with a felony charge. All of a sudden, reporters are everywhere.

I found this to be an excellent read, my first by this author, however it won't be my last.

Thanks to St. Martin's Press and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Jul 16, 2018 |
This is a beautiful and emotional new novel by a fantastic author. This is my first book by this author in a long time and it's time to add her to my MUST READ list.

Maggie has started a new life for herself, far away from her life with her husband and her rich lifestyle and so called friends. She is also estranged from her mother and her only sibling. She's moved to a small town and is busy trying to make friends and start a new life while keeping her old life hidden. The thoughts of her old life mostly come out at night when she dreams of the daughter she lost in a car accident and the subsequent divorce from her husband. As things start to change in Maggie's life and her brother and ex-husband suddenly appear, will she be able to let go of the past and find a new path into the future?

This is a wonderful story of family and love and forgiveness - not just of others but more importantly, forgiveness of yourself. I loved Maggie and was rooting for her through the entire book, I laughed with her and I cried with her. Wonderful, wonderful book!

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  susan0316 | Jul 8, 2018 |
I’ve read Barbara Delinsky books for years. Some are much better than others. While this is a wonderful love story, there were a lot of things that made this story a bit hard to follow at times. There were a lot of characters and some just made the reader wonder as to their involvement. Ms. Delinsky is still a favorite author. ( )
  CandyH | Jul 7, 2018 |
It has been a few years since I have read Barbara Delinsky. But, I am glad I picked her back up. This story is in true Delinsky form. Great characters with a great story about heartbreak and healing are trademarks for Delinsky. I expericed a wonderful connection with Maggie. She is so broken and yet she has created a new world for herself. See, Maggie was in an accident a few years ago and her daughter was killed. Maggie was to blame and she has never forgiven herself.
Maggie is estranged from her family. Her mother and brother refuse to speak to her. And her marriage also fails after the loss of her child. But, just when she thinks she has overcome her past, in walks her brother AND her ex husband. This throws a huge kink in her anonymity. And...the anonymity is a huge part of her new life.
There are several story lines throughout this book. This keeps the reader moving along at a very fast clip. Maggie and Edward are great together. Both are broken and need each other to get through. Then there is Maggie's good friend Grace. Her son has been arrested in a computer hacking scandal. But, Grace is hiding something, something very important.
This novel is a little long. It could have been shortened by a few pages. However, I enjoyed this heartwarming and heart wrenching tale..and yes it is both. This story pulls at your heart and makes you appreciate all you have.
I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Jul 2, 2018 |
To my two Ws - Wrenna and Will - with love before, again, and always
Mackenzie Cooper had no idea where she was or, more critically, why she hadn't already arrived.

Mackenzie Cooper took her eyes off the road for just a moment but the resulting collision was enough to rob her not only of her beloved daughter but ultimately of her marriage, family, and friends--and thanks to the nonstop media coverage, even her privacy. Now she lives in Vermont under the name Maggie Reid, in a small house with her cats and dog. She's thankful for the new friends she's made--though she can't risk telling them too much. And she takes satisfaction in working as a makeup artist at the luxurious local spa, helping clients hide the visible outward signs of their weariness, illnesses, and injuries. Covering up scars is a skill she has mastered… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,230,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible