dismiss

The Heart Forger

by Rin Chupeco

Series: The Bone Witch (2)

Armed with the ability to tame and control the monstrous daeva, Tea enacts her revenge against the royals who wronged her, but she is hampered by her disapproving brother and pursued by enemies wishing to use her dark magic for themselves.

hb
  5083mitzi | Apr 25, 2020 |
This was phenomenal. Having grown up in Japan and being exposed to the Eastern Culture, I loved every aspect of this book. I could envision the huge dragons, the power and grace of the Bone Witch and their dark arts. This conniving, the plotting , this twists and the deep seeded hatred is just oozing from the pages of the masterpiece. I think because we are shown so much more emotion and reasons for actions and how they shaped our main character is why I place this higher than the first ion the series. ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
Though it’s been two years since I picked up the first book in this series, I fell into The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco with ease. The familiar world Chupeco masterfully crafted in the first of the series, The Bone Witch, continued to grow and flourish, while the characters she initially developed were memorable enough in the first in the series, that we pick up from where they left off seamlessly. Though this is the middle book in what is possibly a trilogy, there are definite beginnings and ends, rising action, climax, and resolution so that the reader feels satiated but still eager for more.

We continue unraveling Tea’s backstory as to how she became so feared and hated, how her romance began with Kalen and what became of Kance, while simultaneously living through her plan to use the resurrected daevas. It was so well crafted with the perfect balance of suspense and answers between the past with pieces clicking easily into place. I can’t say much more without giving away spoilers, but the writing continued to excel, the pacing was on point, and the world remains real and un-white, which is refreshingly welcome.

The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco easily surpasses the first in the series. Having me shed tears on a number of occasions, it leaves you feeling connected to the characters and understanding the desperation in their choices and actions. If you’ve read The Bone Witch and were on the fence, please do yourself a favor and pick up The Heart Forger. You will not be disappointed!

// I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this title. // ( )
  heylu | Jan 8, 2020 |
"It's not such a bad thing, to feel powerless sometimes. It teaches us that some situations are inevitable and that we should spend what little time we have on the company of the people that matter most. Do you understand me, Tea?"

More fast-paced and way more action-packed than The Bone Witch! A darker Tea and more of the other kingdoms! Also, I mentioned in my first review that there's the love triangle trope, but in The Heartforger, turns out it wasn't really a triangle at all considering... (view spoiler)

This book would be for those who like coming of age, supernatural, Asian inspired young-adult fantasy. And if you found The Bone Witch so-so, I think you'll like The Heart Forger better
  jethplain | Feb 11, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

This is for Momofuku Ando, the creator of instant ramen, which sustained me for many a long night as I struggled with both words and self-doubt. Nothing but respect for my president.
She wore the corpses for show.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,979,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible