The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch) by Rin…

The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch)

by Rin Chupeco

"It's not such a bad thing, to feel powerless sometimes. It teaches us that some situations are inevitable and that we should spend what little time we have on the company of the people that matter most. Do you understand me, Tea?"

More fast-paced and way more action-packed than The Bone Witch! A darker Tea and more of the other kingdoms! Also, I mentioned in my first review that there's the love triangle trope, but in The Heartforger, turns out it wasn't really a triangle at all considering... (view spoiler)

This book would be for those who like coming of age, supernatural, Asian inspired young-adult fantasy. And if you found The Bone Witch so-so, I think you'll like The Heart Forger better
  jethplain | Feb 11, 2019 |
Book Review
The Heart Forger, Rin Chupeco
"Life isn't fair, dear one. And sometimes, neither is death. "
Summary
Second in The Bone Witch series, The Heart Forger begins where the previous story ended. Tea, a bone/asha/dark witch, in exile, has gathered her army of daeva to attack Daanoris. With the Bard and her lover, Kalen,they march. Tea wants revenge for all the wrongs heaped on here by Kion, Odalia, Faceless, Elders..its a long list. No spoilers here! There are battles and surprise twists in Daanoris. You see other characters: Fox, Khaled, other asha. Tea's plan continues to unfold. You get a better understanding of what she's doing and why. It's a complicated plot, and I can't explain all, but, still, many big questions remain unanswered.
My Thoughts "They made their choices,and I made mine. If I cannot sway them with kindness, then they shall die."
I'm probably in the minority, but I love Tea at her darkest. This girl is an unstoppable force of nature. No mercy. No changing her mind. She possesses the kind of strength and will power that I want. Yet, she shows her humanity with Kalen and Khaled. She wishes things were different, but this is life. Bone Witches have never been treated fairly. In some ways, she just wants respect and acknowledgment for all Bone Witches. Tea has emotions, just smothered under her rage. I love this story. So many unexpected things keep happening.It's told from Tea and the Bard's perspective,but it's not confusing. The writing is succinct and sharp. I'm not certain of her ultimate goal. How did Kalen die? Who did Tea kill? We wait for answers. I enjoy every character, even bad guys. It's great to see more individual personalities coming into focus. They mesh so well, and the story flows beautifully. The language is lyrical and magical. In the last chapters, Tea is so vivid and powerful. Really just amazing! She leaps off the page. "You will relive this moment in your mind for the rest of your days,and it will be all that you shall remember." Tea embraces the dark, but I always expected her to do that. I think it's destiny. I'm a sucker for drama and girl power. The Heart Forger has both in spades. Do not miss this one! ( )
  JypsyLynn | Jan 29, 2019 |
I was so excited to be given the opportunity to read Rin Chupekos next book in The Bone Witch series. This story goes back and forth between past and present showing Tea growing stronger as an asha in the past and the present where she and an army of daeva are on a path of destruction in order to get revenge on those who have wronged her. This book seemed much more intense as Tea struggles against the dark power growing within her. We also see her relationship with Kalen developing into something more than asha and protector. Overall the book was beautifully written and lushly descriptive. I felt that the story might be ending at the end of this book but at the very end there's a hint that Tea and Kalen's story is not over with yet! ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 27, 2018 |

While I do my best to NOT spoil a book, "The Heart Forger" isn't due out until March of this year- please read with caution!

I'll be blatantly honest- I was not looking forward to reading this book. Why? The first book! I read "The Bone Witch" last year (around this time actually) and was pretty disappointed with it. Normally when I know a book is included in a series, I try to be gracious with the first book; it's laying the groundwork (essentially) for the rest. Lots of names, lots of places, lots of things that the reader may or not understand, and the "The Bone Witch" was full of that, but that's not why I was disappointed with it. To me, that whole first book was half "Memoirs of a Geisha" and half "Supernatural" (just without Dean Winchester).

But I'm not here to re-review "The Bone Witch". I'm here to tell you that "The Heart Forger" blew it's counterpart out of the water. I'm unsure because I trudged through the first book that reading this one was like coming up for fresh air, but the story was just spot on. Sure, it took me a few pages to really get into the story (and to actually remember what happened in the first book) but the dynamic of the characters was stronger, the story overall flowed better than it did in the first book.

Luckily, we pick up right where we left off in book one. A quick recap:

Channel the entire story of "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Add a geisha gone bad (an Asha in this story, but a Dark Asha) named Tea
She resurrected her brother Fox (known as a Familiar)
There are only 2 Bone Witches left in the world, herself and her mentor Mykaela
This world wears their hearts around their neck (known as Heartglass) it can be a caste system
Bone Witches help put Daeva (mythological creatures wreaking havoc) down
A Bard is writing down Tea's story
Tea was being controlled by a powerful Faceless
Got it? Good. With ALL of that background info, we can pick up on "The Heart Forger". Let's first discuss that cover
We start the book with Tea trying to raise King Vanor from the dead, to discuss her mentor's missing Heartglass. Without the Heartglass, Mykaela continues to grow weaker. Unfortunately King Vanor is unyielding where he placed his former lover's Heartglass, and Mykaela is disconcerted knowing Tea is unwilling to let the dead rest.

From here Tea confronts the Faceless woman, Aenah, to glean any inside information on recent attacks throughout the land. Even chained to a prison wall, Aenah still holds the tiniest amount of power with evasiveness. Letting Tea believe she has the upper hand, Aenah hints to a hidden runic book, belonging to the Fallen Prince in the midst of the Asha elders. Chains and all, Aenah is still dripping with manipulative power, merely contained inside her darkened heartglass. Aenah hints how to help Mykaela and her missing heartglass, as well as the mysterious sickness plaguing the nobles of the five great houses. With absolutely nothing to lose, Aenah makes a bid in hopes that Tea will still turn dark, combining their forces for destruction.

Carried over from the first book is Tea's not so secret crush to Prince Kance. I'm pretty sure all surrounding parties are aware, with the exception of Prince Kance himself- and he doesn't help the situation by being overly nice to her. Foreign dignities have higher plans for Kance- a royal wedding is announced, and Tea's dreams are broken. Tragedy befalls the prince early in his marriage- even age isn't susceptible for staving off the royal sickness, throwing Kance into a royal slumber- don't worry folks, no glass coffins or seven dwarves here!

Naturally, Tea , Mykaela, and Fox are blamed for attempted murder on the prince (since she's a Bone Witch with a familiar). A few Asha, Tea, Fox, Mykaela, Kalen (The Deathseeker protecting Kance), and Khaled (a Heartforger's apprentice, and older brother to Kance) flee the city and head to Kion.

With the army of Odalia encroaching their every move, Tea is determined to follow the advice of Aenah, and find a solution for the noble sickness. Will Aenah get what she wishes for? Will Tea turn dark, or will her friendship and determination ground her for larger purposes?

As I said earlier, "The Heart Forger" blows "The Bone Witch" out of the water. Looking back on it, I am absolutely certain book one was just the foundation. Allowing readers to become acquainted with Tea, Fox, Mykaela, and the world surrounding them. Even with a year in between reads, I caught up rather quickly and remembered all of the details, drama, and action from book one.

Chupeco was able to cast her runic genius throughout this entire book, leaving readers wanting more. It was definitely a pleasant surprise enjoying this book since I struggled with the first. I can really say that I'm excited to finish this series- although not too soon, right?

"The Heart Forger" by Rin Chupeco is due to hit shelves March 20th 2018. It looks as though fans will have to wait another full year for the 3rd book entitled "Shadowglass". Until then, "The Heart Forger gets a solid rating from me!

mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
The Heart Forger is book two; book one was Bone Witch. There will be a book three! I had trouble with the world building in Bone Witch. I sometimes have trouble caring about what kingdom is where and what happened years ago to start problems between kingdoms, etc. There was a lot of that in the first book. The second book gives life to the characters and makes the story much more interesting.

As in book one, the Bard has chapters telling what he sees in the present with the other chapters being Tea’s story that she is telling him. The past, as told to the bard, explains how Tea ended up being cast out. She and her friends--her sisters Asha, Inessa, Kalen, and Fox are trying to find out what sickness has hit some of the nobles across the lands while also being pursued. As they and her azi travel from kingdom to kingdom, it’s obvious the Faceless are making a move. Tea starts practicing with the dark arts after “finding” a book with dark runes. It’s going to take these forbidden spells to find the cure and to find the dark leaders. The methods Tea has to use are considered death penalty actions. Tea has to think seriously as to what choices she and her friends make.

In the present, Tea has all she needs to wage war. She has raised the man she loves and the army of Daeva. She moves to destroy what must be destroyed despite knowing that no one supports her, including her brother. We eventually find out what drove them apart. The secrets of the asha come to light as more sacrifices are necessary to come to the next step in eradicating the evil that is plaguing the kingdoms.

As I said earlier, I thoroughly enjoyed this book--so much more than Bone Witch; I read it in a day! The switching back and forth makes it hard to write a review because I have to stop and think when something happened. The relationships are developed in this novel. You’ll find you like many of the characters for their purposes in the novel and you’ll enjoy seeing Kalen and Tea find each other. Spoiler--you still won’t know what happened to Kalen. It’s a good fantasy novel. ( )
  acargile | Jul 23, 2018 |

Armed with the ability to tame and control the monstrous daeva, Tea enacts her revenge against the royals who wronged her, but she is hampered by her disapproving brother and pursued by enemies wishing to use her dark magic for themselves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,660,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible