HomeGroupsTalkExplore

After the Shot Drops by Randy Ribay

After the Shot Drops (edition 2020)

by Randy Ribay (Author)

2097115,801 (3.86)2
A powerful novel about friendship, basketball, and one teen's mission to create a better life for his family. Written in the tradition of Jason Reynolds, Matt de la Peña, and Walter Dean Myers, After the Shot Drops now has three starred reviews!   * "Belongs on the shelf alongside contemporary heavy-hitters like Angie Thomas's The Hate U Give, Brendan Kiely and Jason Reynolds's All-American Boys, and Nic Stone's Dear Martin."--School Library Journal, starred review     Bunny and Nasir have been best friends forever, but when Bunny accepts an athletic scholarship across town, Nasir feels betrayed. While Bunny tries to fit in with his new, privileged peers, Nasir spends more time with his cousin, Wallace, who is being evicted. Nasir can't help but wonder why the neighborhood is falling over itself to help Bunny when Wallace is in trouble. When Wallace makes a bet against Bunny, Nasir is faced with an impossible decision--maybe a dangerous one.     Told from alternating perspectives, After the Shot Drops is a heart-pounding story about the responsibilities of great talent and the importance of compassion.… (more)
Member:MarylhurstHerons
Title:After the Shot Drops
Authors:Randy Ribay (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2020), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

After the Shot Drops by Randy Ribay

Lending

Checked out 2022-12-01

Great read. I wasn’t sure what direction we were heading, but enjoyed where it finished. Lessons to be learned all around on this one. ( )
  turtal30 | Apr 19, 2021 |
Straightforward story of two friends (alternating narration) Bunny & Nasir: growing up together in urban neighborhood outside Philadelphia, playing for their high school basketball team. Bunny is offered a scholarship to the much more upscale private St Sebastian's High school and makes the difficult decision to leave the familiarity of his neighborhood and high school to travel across town to expand his chances for college scholarships, & continue to "up his game" as an exceptional ball player. Nasir, with his struggling, more angry cousin Wallace, watches from afar as Bunny continues to excel - the growing bitterness is not overnight, portrayed realistically. It's even more complicated because Bunny has now begun dating Keyona, a dedicated athlete herself, and the girl Nasir has secretly had a crush on for a long time. real pluses: realistic dialogue without resorting to much vulgarity; respectful treatment of Keyona & Bunny's romance; characters are fleshed out a bit at a time, with life progressing as it would in a school year; good basketball game excerpts-appealing to those who love the sport. Potential drawbacks: story is done at leisurely, relationship-give and take pace - some students may want faster story/suspense. Does build to a violent climax - some students may find disturbing - but there's been a build up to it throughout the chapters. ( )
  BDartnall | Oct 16, 2020 |
I abandoned this one because I'm only reading books for ages 9-12 at the moment. If I were reading for high school, I would definitely read this one since I'm always looking for good sports books. There was some profanity in the beginning which knocked it out of the running for my school.
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
View full review

The blurb told everything! And I hate the ending! Will this make you read all my thoughts about this book? It should.

First off, I got really interested in reading After the Shot Drops because, aside from receiving its ARC, a Filipino author wrote it. Huge applause for Randy Ribay! I’ve received this book in exchange for an honest review, let’s stay transparent.

▪ Really, having a dead guy for the first chapter?

As much as I want to try something new, this book doesn’t appear to fall under the mystery or thriller genre. So why a dead teenager…? But that would unfold so long as the story goes. Loved the idea!

▪ Bunny, Nasir, Wallace, Keyona, Jess

BUNNY and NASIR are the two main characters of this story. They used to be “BFFs” but Bunny transferred to another school. He’s pretty awesome at basketball. Why am I telling you this? It’s on the blurb! Wallace also existed and Keyona and Jess. Only one had the easy name and that’s Jess. Kinda loved the names!

▪ Not pure basketball!

You know that I’ve received this book along with three other books and this is the last that I picked up. I really thought that it’s gonna be boring with all the basketball stuff… but, surprisingly, it’s not boring at all! It took me only three days to finish this book whereas on the second day I was out swimming. So yes, you only need a day or two to finish this and hate the ending!

▪ Another person’s win is another’s loss

If there is something I’d learn from this book, then that’s it. I love how Bunny is getting all his scholarship and sponsorship from different people with connection, he deserves it. But I hate how people want to take it all from him. He’s just a kid with a real talent. But he’s also good at taking everything for granted. He’s self-centered from start to end. Sorry, hated it. It’s true, though. His wins are just his wins.

▪ Giving a chance, huh?

So, let’s talk about Wallace. Wallace is pretty stupid for betting bets he can’t win. Wallace is pretty dumb for not striving for himself and for his grandma. Wallace is pretty awful for what he did (ending part!) BECAUSE IN THE END THIS IS BUNNY’S STORY AND BUNNY WOULD STILL WIN IN LIFE AND WALLACE IS JUST NOWHERE. I hate how that turned out! He was good running away and he’s still good at running. Just plain awful, hate it.

▪ What I liked about After the Shot Drops

I liked the forgiving friendship between Bunny and Nasir, Nasir’s relationship with his parents, Wallace’s soft side to cats, Bunny’s determination to achieve his dreams, Keyona’s full understanding to things. Plus, all the lessons this book has in store for its readers.

Recommended or not? Hmm, it’s something new to me so I do recommend it. Plus, a Filipino author! Randy Ribay is something else and I swear to read all his published books and his books to come! ( )
  Mervilyn | Sep 2, 2018 |
View full review

▪ Really, having a dead guy for the first chapter?

▪ Bunny, Nasir, Wallace, Keyona, Jess

▪ Not pure basketball!

▪ Another person’s win is another’s loss

▪ Giving a chance, huh?

▪ What I liked about After the Shot Drops

Mervilyn | Sep 2, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,784,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible