Hi, Jack! (A Jack Book) (2019)

by Mac Barnett, Greg Pizzoli (Illustrator)

Series: Jack Books

Jack, a monkey, takes a purse--and some lipsticks--from a Lady and uses them and a dog, Rex, to get into mischief.

Hi, Jack is a good book for young readers. It sends a few mixed messages about being good vs bad. I'm not sure if I would use this book in my classroom because of the mixed messages. But I love the illustrations and could incorporate those into a lesson. ( )
  Madelyn25 | Apr 11, 2021 |
Reader for boys ( )
  melodyreads | Feb 11, 2020 |
Interview with Roger in The Horn Book: Mac Barnett and Greg Pizzoli (September 2019)

Unrepentant mischief in a "see Jane run" cadence. ( )
  JennyArch | Sep 12, 2019 |
Hi, Jack! is the first in a series of easy reader books featuring Jack—a trouble-making rabbit, Rex—an adorable dog, and The Lady. In the promo materials, Jack is described as mischievous, and The Lady is described as cranky and old, however, that will be up to the reader to decide. With Jack's thievery, graffiti, and trickstering, you may find that The Lady has due cause to be cranky—the old can't be helped. While it's unusual to have an easy reader protagonist that is decidedly naughty, he also is quite capable of contrition and affability. In short, he's just like every kid.

The illustrations are simple and bright and are integral to the story's three chapters, "Jack," "Rex," and "The Lady." In the first chapter, Jack steals a purse from The Lady. Although he gives the purse back, he has purloined the lipstick. In the second chapter, we see Rex with bright red, curvaceous lips, and then discover Jack hiding behind him with a devilish grin.

Rex has red lips.
Rex! Why are your lips red?
Your lips are bright red! Who did that to your lips?
Jack!
Bad Jack!

Parents will love him or hate him. Kids will definitely "get" him. Grab your sense of humor and enjoy the rascally humor of Jack.

More at: https://shelf-employed.blogspot.com/2019/08/hi-jack.html ( )
  shelf-employed | Aug 22, 2019 |
I feel very conflicted writing a review for this book. As a matter of principle, I do believe every book its reader, and every reader their book, but for this book, I feel compelled to set aside the rule.

The main character in this book is every kindergarten teacher's nightmare. While society seems to be generating more and more children that have no regard or respect for authority without any help, this book features a character that is selfish, disrespectful, and downright naughty. He receives no correction, and indeed, takes pride in the fact that he is just as awful (or worse) when the book ends as he was at the beginning.

I agree with Mac Barnett that we need to have interesting early readers that engage young students and make them want to read more. We know that can happen without the "rote storytelling, flat characters, or Victorian moralizing" that he states that he created this book to avoid; however, we do not have to resort to characters whose bad behavior is encouraged and rewarded. When I read the publisher's comment that this series can, "fill the Elephant-and-Piggie-shaped hole" in young readers hearts, I felt like Elephant and Piggie's names had just been dragged through the mud. Just. . . no. There are so many other choices out there - but even if there weren't, I cannot recommend this as an alternative. I know Mr. Barnett says that he and Greg (Pizzoli - the illustrator) "like Jack a lot," but I would invite them to come and observe what happens in a classroom when there are two or three "Jacks" in it. I passed my advance copy around to several teachers in my building to see if I was alone in my reaction - I was not. If and when this book is read, I can only hope that people hold it up as a shining example of how not to act to their children. ( )
  csfoster | May 27, 2019 |

Barnett, MacAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pizzoli, GregIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This is Jack.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,329,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible