dismiss

The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas

The Cheerleaders (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Kara Thomas (Author)

There are no more cheerleaders in the town of Sunnybrook. First there was the car accident--two girls dead after hitting a tree on a rainy night. Not long after, the murders happened. Those two girls were killed by the man next door. The police shot him, so no one will ever know his reasons. Monica's sister was the last cheerleader to die. After her suicide, Sunnybrook High disbanded the cheer squad. No one wanted to be reminded of the girls they'd lost. That was five years ago. Now the faculty and students at Sunnybrook High want to remember the lost cheerleaders. But for Monica, it's not that easy. She just wants to forget. Only, Monica's world is starting to unravel. There are the letters in her stepdad's desk, an unearthed, years-old cell phone, a strange new friend at school. . . . Whatever happened five years ago isn't over. Some people in town know more than they're saying. And somehow, Monica is at the center of it all. There are no more cheerleaders in Sunnybrook, but that doesn't mean anyone else is safe. Praise for Little Monsters- "A disturbing portrait of how bad news and gossip can curdle when mixed together." --Oprah.com "A twisted storyof obsession and manipulation." --Chelsea Sedoti, author of The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett Praise for The Darkest Corners- "You'll be up all nighttearing through the pages." --Bustle.com "Gripping from start to finish. . . with twists that left me shocked." --Victoria Aveyard, #1 New York Timesbestselling author of Red Queen… (more)
Member:ees4
Title:The Cheerleaders
Authors:Kara Thomas (Author)
Info:Ember (2019), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Read

The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas (2018)

Recently added byArina40, Punkerfairy, andeekubinski, hidalgoe, Marieketron, private library, indiaclairek

A few times I found myself getting the sisters’ storylines and friends mixed up. It’s slightly unbelievable to me that a 15 year old would figure out who the murderer was and not the cops, personal involvement or not. But damn, I did NOT see that ending coming. I like to believe that Ginny tells her story to Monica one day, maybe after they’ve graduated college. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
DNF. A book that suffers from tell-itis and I do not have the patience for badly done narratives. The writing is wooden and does not compel me to finish such a convoluted tale. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 20, 2019 |
(This review will be on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)

When I first read the synopsis for The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas, I was intrigued. This book was high on my TBR list. When I got the chance to read it, I was ecstatic. However, I was left feeling a bit disappointed after finishing it.

The pacing for The Cheerleaders is a bit all over the place. Sometimes it would be really slow, sometimes it would be a decent pace, and other times, it would just be too fast! I will admit that the pacing got better during the second half of the book. Still, I did find myself becoming bored with the book mostly during the first half. However, most of the book held my attention long enough for me to keep on reading.

The world building was fairly believable although I did have a hard time believing the police would miss some of the more obvious things I won't go into due to spoilers. There's one thing that is described at the end that I wondered how that was never discovered. Maybe the police force in the town of Sunnybrook just aren't very efficient at their jobs. Anyway, the plot has been done before, but it was still fairly interesting to read about. After finding her dead sister's old cell phone and a note saying "connect the dots" on a photo of the 5 dead cheerleaders in her step-father's locked drawer, Monica starts doing some detective work. She doesn't believe her sister would have committed suicide. As she starts digging deeper, she finds out some things aren't what they seem. The plot had some twists. I do believe some of the plot twists were predictable while others were not. I did get the killer wrong though. I will admit that. One of things that felt out of place was the book starting off with Monica's abortion. I really don't see the point of it. It isn't really mentioned again after the first few chapters. Also, there's a paragraph of politics thrown in the book that I didn't know why it was in there. It was as if the author just wanted her audience to know what her political leanings were.

I felt like the characters for The Cheerleaders were all a bit two dimensional. The author tried to make them fleshed out a bit more, but they just felt a bit flat to me. I felt as if they were all a little conceited especially Monica, the main character, for my liking. There were so many times I rolled my eyes at Monica. I just did not and could not bring myself to like her no matter how hard I tried. I felt like she was a bit spoiled and selfish. I did like Ginny though. I just wish she was more fleshed out. I also would have liked to read more about Ethan. I find him to be an interesting character.

Trigger warnings for The Cheerleaders include swearing, murder, death, some violence, underage drinking, drugs (pill popping), abortion, kissing, talks of suicide, and implied sexual situations.

All in all, The Cheerleaders was just an okay read. Nothing really stood out, and I imagine I'll forget about this book soon which is a shame because it sounded really good going by the synopsis. The plot was somewhat interesting, and it did hold my attention for the most part, so it has that going for it. I'm on the fence about whether I'd recommend The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas. Actually, I would recommend people to read it and come to their own conclusions. ( )
  khal_khaleesi | Nov 16, 2019 |
This was a fun mystery to read. Trying to find out what really happened to the cheerleaders 5 years ago and seeing the new information and clues was really interesting. I liked that we got glimpses of the past from Jen. Monica went through a lot in this book and even though her friends seemed pretty good, I'm glad she became friends with the Ginny. She was sweet and needed someone too. I was surprised at the ending, I thought it would go differently. It was pretty twisty and I enjoyed reading. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
This was an okay mystery even though it was predictable and unrealistic at times, and the ending was anticlimactic. However, I did like Monica although I was not impressed with her love interest - it was too creepy and unsettling. The author also dealt with some controversial topics including suicide, murder, substance abuse and statutory rape. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Apr 6, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,076,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible