The Big Umbrella by Amy June Bates

The Big Umbrella (edition 2018)

by Amy June Bates (Author)

Member:Lake_Oswego_UCC
Title:The Big Umbrella
Authors:Amy June Bates (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (2018), 40 pages
Collections:Bin #13 - Feelings, Your library
Tags:Emigration and immigration, Toleration - Fiction, Umbrellas - Fiction, Picture books

The Big Umbrella by Amy June Bates

The Big Umbrella is a small story with a big idea - that there is always room for everyone under the metaphorical umbrella. The book delivers a message of positivity and inclusion that would benefit all children (and adults). ( )
  adrouet | Apr 29, 2019 |
This book was a book that was suggested to me by one of my fellow friends. I am happy she encouraged me to read it because I really enjoyed this book. This book is a perfect book for emerging or beginning level readers. The language choice used throughout this book is very simple and descriptive. This book is a picture book that offers limited words per page, which is good for students who are just beginning to read on their own. This book also incorporates the use of detailed pictures on each page. I love this because it helps to create the overall story in the readers mind and it offers a sense of visual of what the pages are saying incase the reader doesn't fully understand what the pages are saying.
The characters in this piece is something that stuck out to me while reading this book. Each of the characters are unique and represent a different culture or background. The way the author went about doing this was very creative, and I enjoyed that the story focuses on the concept of diversity in this book.
The overall message or theme of this book is to accept others despite their differences. I loved how this book went about relaying this message throughout the overall plot or theme of the book. This was my favorite book I have read thus far, and will 100% be including it into my classroom library someday. ( )
  djerga1 | Mar 14, 2019 |
This book is a great beginner read. It shows a boy with a big red umbrella walking around. The umbrella wants to provide shelter to everyone, no matter what you look like. The umbrella always has room for more people. "It loves to give shelter. It loves to gather people in." This umbrella can be related to a caregiver in a child's life. It shows the love and compassion we as people should have towards everyone. The illustrations show people of all kinds being protected from the rain in the book. There's a man pictured in a wheel chair, people of different races, ages, occupations, etc. The language is kept very simple to allow all readers to gain meaning from the story. It shows acceptance and love for everyone which is a very important message to share with everyone. The characters shown are all people you could see walking down the street with a few goofy characters such as a man covered completely in hair to add an element of humor to the book. Overall this book does a great job of encompassing the need for a loving environment and a fun to read book. ( )
  sheiland1 | Mar 14, 2019 |
A bold reminder to think out of plenty. Although immigration is never directly mentioned, on a stormy day a big red umbrella makes room for all, big small, hairy, plaid, etc. Everyone who could use a place to shelter can find a space. The child who first leaves their house with the umbrella is androgynous and faceless, offering a young reader the intriguing opportunity to see themselves. This generous adventurer carries an amazing umbrella that seems to stretch as it smiles and expands to cover all sorts of people and animals.

Red is a popular color for many young children and the umbrella wears a smiling face with engaging eyes. With the blue and rainy palate of the background, the umbrella really pops, pulling the readers' eyes to all the many characters underneath. While many lists brought this book for immigration, it could spark conversation about many ideas such as inclusivity, "everyone can play", sharing, or even looking up to see that someone else has no umbrella to keep them dry.

It is certainly an easy read with few and simple words, so while it is geared towards younger readers, I would be curious to see what messages older readers would draw from the story. ( )
  fsgiamba | Feb 13, 2019 |
This is a sweet, short book that creates a really simple picture of what inclusivity looks like. Teaching children that including others is important can be difficult. This book follows a little girl who grabs her umbrella on the way out the door. The umbrella likes to help and shelter the other kids. All different kinds of people can fit under it, short or tall. ( )
  MorganneLloyd | Nov 28, 2018 |

A spacious umbrella welcomes anyone and everyone who needs shelter from the rain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible