The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och…

The Wolf and the Watchman (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Niklas Natt och Dag (Author)

"The Alienist set in eighteenth-century Stockholm: Brawny, bloody, intricate, enthralling-and the best historical thriller I've read in twenty years." -A.J. Finn, #1 bestselling author of The Woman in the Window "Thrilling, unnerving, clever, and beautiful." -Fredrik Backman, #1 bestselling author of A Man Called Ove "Chilling and thought-provoking. Relentless, well-written, and nearly impossible to put down." -Kirkus Reviews (starred review) Named Best Debut Novel of 2017 by the Swedish Academy of Crime Writers One morning in the autumn of 1793, watchman Mikel Cardell is awakened from his drunken slumber with reports of a body seen floating in the Larder, once a pristine lake on Stockholm's Southern Isle, now a rancid bog. Efforts to identify the bizarrely mutilated corpse are entrusted to incorruptible lawyer Cecil Winge, who enlists Cardell's help to solve the case. But time is short: Winge's health is failing, the monarchy is in shambles, and whispered conspiracies and paranoia abound. Winge and Cardell become immersed in a brutal world of guttersnipes and thieves, mercenaries and madams. From a farmer's son who is lead down a treacherous path when he seeks his fortune in the capital to an orphan girl consigned to the workhouse by a pitiless parish priest, their gruesome investigation peels back layer upon layer of the city's labyrinthine society. The rich and the poor, the pious and the fallen, the living and the dead-all collide and interconnect with the body pulled from the lake. Breathtakingly bold and intricately constructed, The Wolf and the Watchman brings to life the crowded streets, gilded palaces, and dark corners of late-eighteenth-century Stockholm, offering a startling vision of the crimes we commit in the name of justice, and the sacrifices we make in order to survive.… (more)
Member:yomisugi
Title:The Wolf and the Watchman
Authors:Niklas Natt och Dag (Author)
Info:John Murray (2019), Edition: 01, 385 pages
Tags:Fiction, Crime, Historical, Sweden, Translation, Swedish

The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag (2019)

English (28)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (36)
Brutal, violent, bloody, and ultra real, this story is not for the squeamish! Life in 1700's Stockholm was unpleasant to say the least. Amidst all of the debauchery, drunkenness, powerplays, and privilege, life is cheap, and that is the world that our early detectives work within to sole a grisly case of a mutilated corpse. throughout the story we traverse the tiers of society, the lifestyles of the desperate, and a criminal madness that has been born of this environment. Absolutely stunning descriptive writing that leaves nothing behind.
  DevilStateDan | Jan 25, 2020 |
This book used Stockholm in 1793 as backdrop with very good and detail description of the life style at that time. You faced the brutal reality at that time with gruesome description of the crime. ( )
  Baochuan | Oct 23, 2019 |
"Man is wolf to man." Stockholm, 1793. Watchman Mickel Cardell, a one-armed veteran, is wakened from drunken sleep to attend the scene of a truly hideous murder. Police Chief Johan Gustaf Norlin, about to be replaced at the Indebetou, enlists his friend, consumptive young attorney Cecil Winge, to serve an adjunctive role with the police department for the investigation. He, said to be living on borrowed time, is known as "the Ghost of the Indebetou." Memorable characters, stylish prose, a vivid historical setting, and a grisly crime not for the faint of heart. Grimly compelling and morally complex. ( )
  beaujoe | Aug 3, 2019 |
An impressive debut mystery that is so gruesome that I wasn’t sure I could finish it. Listening to the audio version made it somehow seem more real and was very well executed (poor choice of words) by the three actors who played the parts. It took me longer than usual to finish because I was on vacation and had no opportunity to listen for four or five days and feel like I have been reading the book for a very long time.

In Stockholm in 1793, a mutilated body is discovered by some boys in an open sewer and the watchman, Mikel Cardel, a veteran who lost his arm in the recent war with Russia, is tasked with helping the brilliant prosecutor Cecil Winge (the Wolf), with the investigation. Winge is being consumed by tuberculosis and doesn’t have long to live.

The story is told in four parts and just when you thought you might have an inkling about what happened, the plot shifts, a few more multi-dimensional characters are introduced and your theory goes out the window. An absolutely brilliant book, hard to stop listening to even with the horrifying elements. The author richly describes the horrid conditions in a deplorable workhouse for women, the extreme poverty of the time, the corrupt government in Stockholm and the grubbiness and filth of the city. The worst human behavior you can imagine takes place and left me gasping at times. I would find myself returning from my walk, at first unable to turn off the audio and then finally turning it off and just standing in my kitchen and letting settle what I’d just absorbed.

Some have compared this to The Alienist but for me it was much darker than that novel. And much darker than Dickens’ Victorian London too. I don’t think there’s really a book to compare it to.

The fourth part brings together all of the elements that have not seemed to be connected but of course they are. The twist at the end provides a much needed sense of satisfaction. Highly recommended for those who are not squeamish and want some insight into that particular time and place. ( )
1 vote brenzi | Jul 4, 2019 |
Extremely gruesome but very well crafted thriller. The late 18th-century Stockholm setting was terrific—dirty, drunken, mean, and politically fraught—and that's what hooked me in. The crime it hinges on, and some of the plot details, are pretty horrific—mutilation, torture, and more than your garden variety of fecal matter. Almost enough to put me off, and I've got a strong stomach, but in the end it was a twisty, well-written, and dark police procedural (with some medium-necessary flourishes that make me think a few of the characters are going to turn up in a future book), and that kept me reading. This is most definitely not for the faint of heart, though. ( )
1 vote lisapeet | Jun 24, 2019 |
Vold, fyll, nød og urenslighet slår mot deg fra første til siste side i denne tidvis groteske krimfortellingen fra et Sverige preget av nedgangstider og maktkamp
added by annek49 | editVG, Sindre Hovdenakk (Sep 1, 2018)

Niklas Natt och Dag (han heter faktisk det!) med storartet «Stockholm noir»
ANMELDELSE. En fulltreffer av en historisk roman som avdekker røttene til det moderne og motsetningsfylte Sverige.

List baart list, geweld baart geweld.
- Thomas Thorild, 1793
Mickel Cardell drijft in het koude water.

One morning in the autumn of 1793, watchman Mikel Cardell is awakened from his drunken slumber with reports of a body seen floating in the Larder, once a pristine lake on Stockholm’s Southern Isle, now a rancid bog. Efforts to identify the bizarrely mutilated corpse are entrusted to incorruptible lawyer Cecil Winge, who enlists Cardell’s help to solve the case. But time is short: Winge’s health is failing, the monarchy is in shambles, and whispered conspiracies and paranoia abound.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,504,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible