My Ex-Life: A Novel by Stephen McCauley

My Ex-Life: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Stephen McCauley (Author)

Member:hardlyhardy
Title:My Ex-Life: A Novel
Authors:Stephen McCauley (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 336 pages
Tags:novel

My Ex-Life by Stephen McCauley

Every sentence packed with wit and observation ( )
  JeanneBlasberg | Apr 30, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a comfortable read in that it is well-written, the dialogue is witty and humorous, the situations are sometimes uncomfortable, and yet you get lost with these characters and settle in for the ride.

I wish every book I read was as easy to read as this one. The circumstances in which the characters find themselves are not comfortable situations, and usually are the direct opposite. Still, we go with them, and root for them and have an optimistic feel about it. I really can't explain it further, other than to say I was looking forward to any time I could pick up the book and read. I didn't want it to end.

Thank you to Flatiron Books for my copy. #myexlife ( )
1 vote Bonnie.Franks | Oct 21, 2018 |
Good recommendation by Maureen Corrigan of NPR. Perfect summer read, exploring the complexities of marriage, co-habitation, mutual support, with a coming of age story thrown in. ( )
  Mark.Kosminskas | Aug 21, 2018 |
This is the story of a woman *Julia) with a teenager (Mandy) who operates an Airbnb hostel . She is trying to buy it from her recently divorced husband (Henry). Enter her first husband (David) who we find out is gay and operates a business to place teenagers into prestigious colleges. He still genuinely cares for Julia and moves back to help Mandy search for a school. The author has a great gift for dialogue and realistic portrayal of his characters. Nothing earth shattering happens here and the novel ends with a trickle rather than a flourish. ( )
  muddyboy | Aug 1, 2018 |
I won an ARC in a GOODREADS giveaway! ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jul 21, 2018 |

"David Hedges is having an unusual midlife crisis. His boyfriend, Soren, has left him for an older man. His job is exasperating. As his life reaches new lows, his weight reaches new highs. Across the country, Julie Fiske isn't having a much better time herself. Carol, the woman (younger, of course) that Henry, her second husband, left her for, is downright likable--more likeable than Henry was. Her sullen teen daughter adamantly refuses to apply to college. Henry lays down an ultimatum--if Mandy doesn't start applying to college, she's going to come live with him and Carol. And then Mandy surprises Henry, and stuns Julie, by saying she's been working with David Hedges, Mom's first husband from long ago. It's a lie, but a good one, and, Julie thinks, not a bad idea. So when Julie calls David up out of the blue and asks if he'll help Mandy, he says of course. And when Mandy tells David he should come visit them and stay in one of their B&B rooms, he surprises everyone, including himself, by accepting. Soon David and Julie are living together and in many ways pick up exactly where they left off. But while the chemistry between them is still there, and they can finish each other's sentences, there's one conversation they never finished that is unavoidable"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,657,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible