Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Volume 2 - I…

Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Volume 2 - I Kick Your Face (v. 2) (edition 2007)

by Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen (Illustrator)

194387,055 (4.15)4
Member:swiftgold
Title:Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Volume 2 - I Kick Your Face (v. 2)
Authors:Warren Ellis
Other authors:Stuart Immonen (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2007), Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:Comics
Tags:comics, Marvel

Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E Volume 2 - I Kick Your Face by Warren Ellis

The superteam of the Captain, Tabby, Monica Rambeau, Aaron Stack, and Elsa Bloodstone return to take down their former parent company, H.A.T.E. It's lighthearted superviolence. The art continues to be excellent; it's very good at conveying action and emotion. I never worried about the characters or the world, and the dialog was initially fun but is such a consistent schtick that it got a little old by the end. I'd still like to see more of this team, especially Captain Marvel/Photon and Tabby/Meltdown. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
Author: Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Published In: New York City, NY, USA
Date: 2008
Pgs: 144

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
Explosions. Sex. Dragons. Robots. Nextwave is coming.

Genre:
Adventure
Comics and graphic novels
Fiction
Superheroes

Why this book:
Warren Ellis wrote it.

This Stories are About:
blowing up the bad guys and the bad guys’ boss and the bad guys’ boss’ boss until you get to the top of the pyramid

Favorite Character:
The Captain for his takedown of Rorkannu in a restroom...and the violence he visited on that demon from another dimension. Damn. I mean...damn.

Forbush Man tired of being pissed on by the Marvel Universe in general and going over to the bad guys in a big, big way.

Least Favorite Character:
Monica Rambeau. She doesn’t feel right to me as compared to the Monica Rambeau who I loved in The Avengers.

General Dirk Anger.

Character I Most Identified With:

The Feel:
The feel is pure Warren Ellis. There’s wonder and there’s the dirty, venal, human feel mixed liberally.

Favorite Scene:
When The Captain is going over all the names he’s had over his career and how every Captain name has been taken and used by someone. The reference to the adult movie actor called Captain Marvel who had a lightning bolt tattooed on his penis...awesome.

When The New Paramounts appeared and took on the Nextwave Squad alongside The Vestry and The Surgery. I know most of those characters are never going to appear anywhere else, but they were cool, in a very twisted way.

Pacing:
The only blips on the pacing are when we flash over to General Dirk Anger. I get that he is the Big Bad mixed with the comic relief, but I just don’t like the character.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
Monica Rambeau seems way out-of-character here. The whole talking about the other Avengers hitting on her. I can see the Captain America not hitting on her thing. But with the way that she has been previously portrayed her thinking someone is gay because they didn’t hit on her...meh. Doesn’t ring true to the character for me. I could totally see Thor using the “hammer” line on women though. And with the way that Janet has been portrayed throughout her comic book life...yeah, I could see that too. Would really figure that Dr Strange would have a better pick up line than the “want a little magic in you”. Though whether she is running a line of BS on a friend or being straight up with her is another matter. I could see blowing smoke up your friend’s ass. Shrug. Maybe it’s just a small talk scene and not meant to reflect on Monica’s character or the character of the Avengers who she previously interacted with. Shrug. IDK.

Boom Boom and the rest of them were out-of-character to some degree.

The stories were good, but the characters didn’t ring true.

Hmm Moments:
The sequence where the Nextwave Squad is tearing its way through the waves and waves of the Beyond Corporation’s creatures and creations.

Why isn’t there a screenplay?

Casting call:

Last Page Sound:
Pretty cool.

Author Assessment:
Love Warren Ellis. I would read anything that Ellis ever writes.

Editorial Assessment:
Wish they would have forced it a bit closer to continuity. But all in a all a pretty good story.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
glad I read it

Disposition of Book:
Irving Public Library, Irving, TX

Would recommend to:
genre fans ( )
  texascheeseman | May 13, 2014 |
Excellent stuff, my kind of superheroes! ( )
  fanakapan | Oct 7, 2007 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Immonen, StuartIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785119108, Paperback)

What? You haven't been reading Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? Here's a quick rundown of what you missed: SuperheroesfightingexplosionsexAvengersFinFangFoomgiantflyingsubmarinemonstrositiesformerX-ForcebabeexplosionskickingMachineManpunchinggiantevilcoprobotshotEnglishchicksecretterroristorganizationsEXPLOSIONS! Whew! And that's only the beginning! But don't worry! It's never too late to join the party! First up, the Nextwave Squad faces an army of Mindless Ones!!! Yes, insanely powerful stone men without faces! You cannot miss it! Collects Nextwave #7-12.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:18 -0400)

The Nextwave squad faces an army of creatures from another dimension.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,621,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible