The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A…

The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Marie Kondo (Author)

Member:Nicole_Russell
Title:The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story
Authors:Marie Kondo (Author)
Info:Ten Speed Press (2017), 192 pages
Collections:Fiction, Comics/Manga, Books, Your library

The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story by Marie Kondo (2017)

For those who have seen a lot of Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up just about everywhere but still haven't picked it up, like me, this seems a perfect introduction to her methods. The manga is framed around the story of a woman's decision to clean up her messy apartment/life and get over her ex-boyfriends in the process.

I am an untidy person. When I think of it, getting rid of something is fairly easy for me to do, having gone through a series of small living situations and with parents unwilling to keep my things in their garage anymore, I got good at culling the unnecessary from my life. That was a few years ago, however, and now I share a house chock-full of rooms with only one other person and without the pressure to clear things out things are starting to accumulate.

The idea to sort by category rather than place is inspired and will immediately put that into use. The folding and the elimination of out-of-sight seasonal storage is another matter. The weakness of Kondo's plan is that, at least in the manga perhaps she covers this in the full book, is that if you are only one-half of the household you need to have everyone on board to make an effective push. My husband's books don't necessarily spark joy for me, but they have every right to be on the shelves. Repeat that with every other category.

Getting back to the manga, its focus on a single woman and its lack of advice on things such as furniture (do I have to bring chair into one room?) and other bulkier categories made it less relevant to my needs. So, give it a shot, but these sorts of plans won't succeed unless you're able to commit to them. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A graphic version showing how Kondo's method of finding joy in your possessions and keeping them organized is used to aid a young woman with a very cluttered apartment. ( )
  lilibrarian | Aug 6, 2018 |
The fact that this manga exists sparks joy in me. Sure, it is a little corny/cheesy, but it hits the high points of Kondo's tidying philosophy. While I don't buy into the magical thinking used to spice it up, there are certainly some valuable cleaning tips to be gleaned. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Cute quick read that introduces the basic concepts of the KonMari Method of Tidying Up. This little manga is a case study wherein Marie Kondo, the founder of the KonMari Method, helps a young struggling Tokyo woman with getting herself together. The charming and delightful illustrations help bring forth the ideas from the "Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" in a different medium from the original book. Adorable and a good suggestion for those seeking a new perspective on organizing oneself. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
I read this title out of curiosity as non-fictional manga so rarely get picked up for translation. I admit to feeling more than a little let down. KonMarie comes off as a condescending guru. Her philosophy seems to be rooted in some neo-Shinto transcendental one-size-fits-all approach that feels problematic in application. Also her broken logic that feeling empowered by tidying up will somehow translate into confidence with dating is unsettling. Honestly, I admired Chiaki’s independence and KonMarie set out to debunk her lifestyle in a very conservative almost Diet-approved way. Living with only one simple outfit feels very masculine/anti-fashion and if that outfit were grey… you’d be a Buddhist monk. I thought her methodology for sorting was useful until we came to the chapter on books. She totally downplays reading as some kind of childish indulgence? In light of that attitude I was then really confounded by the panel where she seems to throw nutrition out the window as a joke. It’s really kind of disturbing how popular she is. ( )
  senbei | May 10, 2018 |
Despite having a super-similar title to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and being on the same subject, this isn't that book. It's fictionalized and was written several years later. Plus, of course, it's a manga, not a prose work.

"From the #1 New York Times best-selling author and lifestyle/cleaning guru Marie Kondo, this graphic novelization brings Kondo's life-changing tidying method to life with the fun, quirky story of a woman who transforms her home, work, and love life using Kondo's advice and inspiration. Marie Kondo presents the fictional story of Chiaki, a young woman in Tokyo who struggles with a cluttered apartment, messy love life, and lack of direction. After receiving a complaint from her attractive next-door neighbor about the sad state of her balcony, Chiaki gets Kondo to take her on as a client. Through a series of entertaining and insightful lessons, Kondo helps Chiaki get her home--and life--in order. This insightful, illustrated case study is perfect for people looking for a fun introduction to the KonMari Method of tidying up, as well as tried-and-true fans of Marie Kondo eager for a new way to think about what sparks joy. Featuring illustrations by award-winning manga artist Yuko Uramoto, this book also makes a great read for manga and graphic novel lovers of all ages"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible