Pops: Fatherhood in Pieces by Michael Chabon

Pops: Fatherhood in Pieces (edition 2018)

by Michael Chabon (Author)

Member:CGlanovsky
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Memoir, Essay, Non-Fiction, 21st Century, Short Works

Pops: Fatherhood in Pieces by Michael Chabon

To Read (529)

A small number of short stories, very enjoyable, that all focus on the theme of fatherhood. Both as a son and as a father, mostly the latter. I particularly liked the one about the son who is into clothes and who has style. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 24, 2019 |
This is a quick book of reflections on fatherhood. It focuses on being a parent of a young teen, but the book actually starts with advice for aspiring authors not to have children! The book ends with an essay by the author about his relationship to his own father. In between are essays, several previously published elsewhere, that talk mainly about the author's relationship with his children. Having raised both sons and a daughter myself, I found some scenes surprisingly familiar, especially those about the author's younger son being quite picky about what he wore to school from a very early age.

Nothing offensive is contained herein so this is a nice read for an hour or two in which one might want to relax and reminisce a bit. It did remind me, however, to look for more of Chabon's longer works. I haven't read any for quite a while. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Sep 25, 2018 |
A small book of essays chronicling Chabon role as father. The first essay shows Chabon, not yet married, not yet a popular author receiving advice from a noted author. His main nugget of advice, was never to have children as they g away the needed time and concentration to write. Much humor here.

Four children later he writes about his role as a father, his role as a male femsnist with two daughters of his own. Looks back to his own mother and father, advice he was given by his mother, his father who he finds difficult but clearly loves him. Fashion week with his thirteen year old son, who has a distinct child style of his own. There is a great deal of humor, some significant insights in this timely collection.

I love his style of writing, his honesty here, his vulnerability, and I think he would be a very interesting man to meet. A short collection, but an entertaining one. ( )
  Beamis12 | Jun 3, 2018 |
I loved this book. It was so nice to read more about Chabon’s personal life and about him being a father. I read this book in one sitting. I would have loved for it to be five times as long as it is. I will definitely purchase a physical copy of this book for my collection. Thanks to Above the Treeline and Edelweiss and HarperLuxe for the review copy. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 31, 2018 |
Pops illuminates the meaning, magic, and mysteries of fatherhood as only Michael Chabon can..
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | May 29, 2018 |

Essays inspired by Chabon's interactions with his four children and his own father illuminate the meaning, magic, and mysteries of fatherhood. "For the September 2016 issue of GQ, Michael Chabon wrote a piece about accompanying his son Abraham, then thirteen, to Paris Men's Fashion Week. Possessed with a precocious sense of style, Abe was in his element chatting with designers he idolized and turning a critical eye to the freshest runway looks of the season. Chabon Sr., whose interest in clothing stops at 'thrift-shopping for vintage western shirts or Hermes neckties,' sat idly by, staving off yawns and fighting the impulse that the whole thing was a massive waste of time. Despite his own indifference, however, what gradually emerged as Chabon ferried his son to and from fashion shows was a deep respect for his son's passion. The piece quickly became a viral sensation. With the GQ story as its centerpiece, and featuring six additional essays plus an introduction, Pops illuminates the meaning, magic, and mysteries of fatherhood as only Michael Chabon can"--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible