Protons and Neutrons: (My First Science…

Protons and Neutrons: (My First Science Textbook Book #1) (Volume 2) (My… (edition 2016)

by Mary Wissinger (Author)

Spark scientific curiosity in kids of all ages! In this second of a three-book series, Pete the Proton and Ned the Neutron get together to build everything in the universe? even you! Simple rhyming sentences and vibrant science pictures make it easy for even a toddler to begin to understand the basics of chemistry. Learn about some of the most fundamental concepts in science BEFORE the social pressure and intimidation of formal schooling sets in. ¡Inspire la curiosidad científica en los niños de todas las edades! En el segundo de una serie de tres libros, Pete el Protón y Ned el Neutrón se unen para construir todo en el universo... ¡incluso a usted! Oraciones simples con rimas e imágenes científicas con colores vibrantes hacen que sea fácil incluso para los niños pequeños empezar a entender los aspectos básicos de la química. Aprenda sobre algunos de los conceptos más fundamentales en las ciencias ANTES de que se presente la presión social y la intimidación del aprendizaje formal.… (more)
Member:ckennicott
Title:Protons and Neutrons: (My First Science Textbook Book #1) (Volume 2) (My First Science Textbook, 2)
Authors:Mary Wissinger (Author)
Info:Science, Naturally! (2016), Edition: 1st, 32 pages

Work Information

Protons and Neutrons by Mary Wissinger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I realize this is supposed to be a “textbook” and I thought the first in the series but now I am unsure. While I love the concept of introducing science to students early, this book isn’t a standalone, and without additional materials or information, is confusing. With no prior knowledge, kids ar stuck to wonder what a proton and neutron do and where they are found.

I like the idea of a bilingual book but felt that it actually took away from the content and illustrations because there were too many words. I think separate language books would be better. The glossary was great, but I doubt kids will read through all that. It would be great if more of those terms and concepts were included in the actual text to give more information.

*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  JaxlynLeigh | Mar 19, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a picture book to introduce subatomic particles to young children. It's colorful and the pictures are somewhat funny. I imagine that giving a proton and neutron names like 'Pete' and 'Ned' may make this STEM subject more accessible for some children. Probably best to read along with the companion books about electrons and atoms in order to best describe the concepts. ( )
  Grandma_B | Nov 24, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cute and serves well as a complementary introduction to the topic, especially for small children, but may be better along with additional books or learning materials. Love that it's bilingual and that it branches into a field not represented well for this age range. Perhaps a coloring book version would be an idea! ( )
  LibStaff2 | Nov 15, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a cute idea, but it doesn't stand alone. While the concepts are simple and presented as characters, they rely on understandings that presumably were presented in an earlier book, and there isn't enough peripheral information to make sense without those other introductions. I wish that there were at least an intro page for parents to give a little bit more language to back up the missing concepts, in case you (like us) have the books out of order. ( )
  MizPurplest | Nov 3, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to love this one more. I love that it tackles science at an early age, but as an introductory book it felt a little off. There are joke like, " I'm positively charged to meet you!" that don't make sense to a kid that has never heard of a proton. I wanted just a little more info to make the concept easier for them to grasp. The illustrations lean a little towards the clipart side. ( )
  bookworm12 | Oct 21, 2021 |

Mary Wissingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rodis, Harriet Kim AhnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Wissinger's book Protons and Neutrons was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,277,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible