The Surrogates (Surrogates (Graphic Novels))…

The Surrogates (Surrogates (Graphic Novels)) (edition 2006)

by Robert Venditti, Brett Weldele (Illustrator)

Member:jasonpettus
Title:The Surrogates (Surrogates (Graphic Novels))
Authors:Robert Venditti
Other authors:Brett Weldele (Illustrator)
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2006), Paperback, 208 pages

The Surrogates, Volume 1 by Robert Venditti (Author)

eXistenZ by way of a murder mystery/police procedural, with wonderful Brett Wedele art. Nifty! ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Well, I don't say this often, but I liked the movie better than the book. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
The story is powerful, emotional, and compelling. The conclusion was empowering and uplifting, and a little depressing at the same time. Sometimes in life we accomplish our goal, change the world for the better, and still lose something of ourselves in the process. I definitely recommend this one. ( )
  RuzNuz | May 12, 2013 |
Virtual reality technology has come so far that leaving the house is completely unnecessary. Nearly everyone has a Surrogate, an android with a VR link-up to ferry physical input back to the user. Violent crime has been almost completely eradicated. Police officers sit safely in the station while their surrogates walk into danger. All in all, it's a perfectly safe society, allowing interaction without any of the dangers. Except for the techno-terrorist bent on destroying surrogates and forcing people to live their own lives--rather than experiencing them via a helmet.

Brings up issues of identity (what does it mean to be human), physical appearance (makes a good tie with Scott Westerfeld's Uglies), personal safety (Rash, Pete Hautman), and how far science can advance us before there's more lost than gained.

Mostly an adult title, with appeal to older teens. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read The Homeland Directive by Robert Venditti sometime last year and I’ve got to admit I wasn’t the biggest fan of the work. It just didn’t capture my attention as much as I thought it would, but I kept hearing good things about The Surrogates and thought I’d give it a try. And wow. All of the good things I heard about it were right and this book now has a place on bookshelf (which doesn’t happen with every book that I read.)

The year is 2054 and android surrogates are a way of life. Only the children are real and everyone else interacts with the world via their surrogates all without ever leaving the comfort of their home. It’s a perfect world. It’s a peaceful world thanks to hard working folks of the Metro Police Department. Detective Harvey Greer is at peace and enjoying life with his wife…even though they never really “see” each other in person. And then things change. A techno-terrorist is bent on forcing society back to a time when people lived their lives for themselves instead of experiencing them through a surrogate’s touch. And Detective Greer is thrust into the middle of a battle both in the real world and at home. And everything will change.

As I mentioned above I wasn’t a big fan of the other work, mostly because it seemed to be a bit too familiar to me. But The Surrogates was exciting and had a great build up to the tension and conflict between the two sides of society, those that advocated the surrogates and those that wanted to go back to a mortal life. Even better was the tension that built between the characters, such as Detective Greer and his wife, who started off on the same side until Greer discovered there was a great deal to life he was missing. The story reminds me a great deal of Isaac Asimov’s books featuring Elijah Bailey and the spacer worlds, with the subtle tension between the characters, especially as they start to change. It’s a great storyline and I’m glad that I gave it a read.

The artwork…is different and somewhat difficult for me to describe. When I first looked at it I really didn’t like it, it just felt uneasy on my eyes, in part because of the blurred and muted backgrounds which were just splashes of color never really following the shape or the outline of the characters. But the more I got into the story the better the artwork worked for the tale and the more that I liked it. The style is a basic black line drawing of the characters and the building, but accented by dynamic shadow and white highlights to create a gritty, futuristic feel to the book. He also at times uses computer imagery, such as detailing schematics, which for me threw off the pacing of the story a bit. I much preferred the sketchy, muted color scheme to the hard computer line drawings.

As I said at the beginning this book has found a place on my bookshelf and I’d be willing to give other books by Robert V a try after enjoying this one (heck I may even give The Homeland Directive another read.) I’d recommend this book to fans of futuristic/sci-fi stories such as as Isaac Asimov, Blade Runner, and others. ( )
  zzshupinga | Apr 20, 2012 |
Venditti’s approaching his story as more traditional science fiction, though, taking an intriguing premise and playing out different implications within an action framework.

Venditti, RobertAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weldele, BrettIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

In 2054, the citizens of the Central Georgia Metropolis are terrorized after a series of crimes is commited by a mysterious techno-terrorist called Steeplejack.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,931,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible