The Missing Pieces of Us by Fleur McDonald

The Missing Pieces of Us

by Fleur McDonald

811,471,191 (3.75)None
Recently added byDunsh01

I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of The Missing Pieces of Us in a GoodReads give-away and because of my personal experiences with adoption in Australia I was keen to read it.

At it's core it is a story about love, family and learning to either accept or let go of the past in order to embrace the future.

The book itself was a quick read, written in a comfortable and easy manner, though the content touched on heavier subjects, such as bullying, the darker side of social media, feelings of rejection and one's own mortality. Don't let the "easy read" fool you into thinking this is a "light read". If you are prone to be emotional... grab the Kleenex first.

The three man characters are all likable and you do get drawn into each of their stories.

Here, however is my sticking point - and why it's a 4 star review rather than 5.

I felt the story arcs for all three women were concluded in a way that was too neat and tidy. To me the endings felt slightly contrived and maybe a touch too feel good and unrealistic for the subject matter. I think over the past few years we've been conditioned not to expect happy endings... and when they occur, its almost disappointing. And maybe this a downfall of our society rather than a fault on the part of the author.

The Missing Pieces of Us will probably appeal to fans of Liane Moriarty although you will find it a quicker read and perhaps missing the unexpected twists that Moriarty is known for throwing in at the end.

Overall though, I did love the book and will definitely recommend to others. ( )
  Dunsh01 | Mar 6, 2017 |

Lauren Ramsey was adopted at birth. Now a teacher, her mantra is to never let a child fall through the cracks. But she's so concerned about the welfare of a little boy in her kindy class she doesn't notice that her teenage daughter needs help ?Ć At fourteen, Skye Ramsey is on the cusp of womanhood, but she's also teetering on the edge of an abyss. Battling with the usual pressures faced by a teenage girl, including the pitfalls of social media, she's flirting with outright rebellion ?Ć As a child, Tamara Thompson felt unloved and overlooked. She's now the manager of a successful business and has a partner who adores her, but her fear of rejection is threatening to overwhelm her ?Ć All three women are searching for a happier future, but the answers may lie in shedding light on secrets from the past ?Ć From the bestselling author of Red Dust and Crimson Dawn, comes a moving and intriguing novel about love, friendship and how the truth can set us free ?ĆSometimes you have to resolve the past before you can face the future. The moving and heart-warming new novel from Fleur McDonald.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,851,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible