Feared by Lisa Scottoline
2111987,927 (3.76)5
"In the new thriller from New York Times bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, Mary DiNunzio's ruthless nemesis Nick Machiavelli is back...with a vengeance. When three men announce that they are suing the Rosato & DiNunzio law firm for reverse sex discrimination--claiming that they were not hired because they were men--Mary DiNunzio and Bennie Rosato are outraged. To make matters worse, their one male employee, John Foxman, intends to resign, claiming that there is some truth to this case. The plaintiffs' lawyer is Nick Machiavelli, who has already lost to Mary once and is now back with a vengeance --determined not to not only win, but destroy the firm. It soon becomes clear that Machiavelli will do anything in his power to achieve his end...even after the case turns deadly. The stakes have never been higher for Mary and her associates as they try to keep Machiavelli at bay, solve a murder, and save the law firm they love...or they could lose everything they've worked for. Told with Scottoline's trademark gift for twists, turns, heart, and humanity, this latest thriller asks the question: Is it better to be loved, or feared... Feared, the sixth entry in the acclaimed Rosato & DiNunzio series, expertly explores what happens when we are tempted to give in to our own inner darkness."--… (more)

Please see all of my reviews on my blog at www.robinlovesreading.blogspot.com

4.5 Stars

What is shocking about the events here is how vindictive a single soul can be towards others. The three lawyers suing the firm of are represented by none other than Nick Machiavelli, who, after losing to Mary DiNunzio once before, declared vengeance on her. Well, his time has come, and boy, has he a doozy planned. And, not only does the team face this lawsuit, they stand a chance at losing a huge anti-trust suit they've been working on. Machiavelli just might win.

I really enjoyed this sixth book in the series. Facing a reverse discrimination case that could destroy the marvelous law firm of Rosato & DiNunzio is the initial story in this book. But when there is a murder connected with the firm, well, things take on a very different edge. A very pregnant Mary as well as her team work hard to keep the firm on its feet, whiling bringing justice to the murdered victim.

I have binge read this series, from Accused, all the way through to this title, Feared, with just a short break between books. However, these last four I read pretty much back-to-back. I literally could not help myself. As with all of the previous titles, I read this book straight through in just a couple of sittings. Lisa Scottoline has an exclusive style of writing these legal thrillers. She presents ongoing characters that mean something to me, interesting plots and fabulous twists and turns, with always stunning conclusions. Feared is no exception and I am almost sorry that I have caught up with the series! Unfortunately, this series is produced yearly, and I have a long wait to go for another installment. However I have amassed a small library of some of her other titles to keep me busy.

Many thanks to St. Martins Press and to NetGalley for this ARC to review; this is my honest opinion. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
I won a free copy of this book from Netgalley.com. My mom is a huge Lisa Scottoline fan, but I had never read any of her books. I picked it up yesterday and finished it today. Thank goodness my family was all busy and I was home alone. I don't think I could have been a good mom knowing that a killer was on the loose! I won't spoil anything, but this book had a lot of drama and suspense. It kept me guessing until the end! Now, I need to go find some good ravioli for supper! ( )
  Lisa5127 | May 25, 2019 |
Thanks to St. Martin’s Press and Goodreads for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I always enjoyed the Rosato and DiNunzio novels. They are always entertaining, especially when the book gets into Mary’s family life. Her father who shouts everything, her mother who feeds everyone, and the Tonys who are her father‘s friends, all make for a colorful family. Plus, Mary is heavily pregnant in this book, which provide some comic moments.
In this novel, Mary’s enemy, Nick Machiavelli, sues Rosato and DiNunzio for reverse discrimination. One of their own lawyers, John Foxman, had said some things which helped Machiavelli’s case.
As the women try to defend themselves, they stumble onto information about shell corporations and other shady business dealings which could blow the case open.
This was a good fast moving story with all the trademarks of Scottoline. My disappointment was in the reveal of the killer. I thought that was pretty unreasonable, as if the author just needed to wrap up the story, and more background to support the killer’s state of mind could have been given. The reason for the murder seemed far-fetched to me.

#Feared #LisaScottoline #StMartinsPress #GoodreadsGiveaway ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
When three men announce that they are suing the Rosato & DiNunzio law firm for reverse sex discrimination—claiming that they were not hired because they were men—Mary DiNunzio and Bennie Rosato are outraged. To make matters worse, their one male employee, John Foxman, intends to resign, claiming that there is some truth to this case.

The plaintiffs’ lawyer is Nick Machiavelli, who has already lost to Mary once and is now back with a vengeance —determined not to not only win, but destroy the firm. It soon becomes clear that Machiavelli will do anything in his power to achieve his end…even after the case turns deadly. The stakes have never been higher for Mary and her associates as they try to keep Machiavelli at bay, solve a murder, and save the law firm they love…or they could lose everything they’ve worked for. Told with Scottoline's trademark gift for twists, turns, heart, and humanity, this latest thriller asks the question: Is it better to be loved, or feared... ( )
  jepeters333 | Dec 8, 2018 |
Feared is an amazing legal thriller. It is book #6 of the series but can easily be read without reading the rest of the books. As with most standalone series, reading them in order gives the reader more background to the story and the character but this book in wonderful on its own.
In Feared we find the women of the law firm going against Nick Machiavelli. He holds a grudge against Rosato & DiNunzio after losing to them in a past case. The case is a reverse sex discrimination case, three men are accusing Rosato & DiNunzio of not hiring them because they were men and the law firm is all women. Mary and Bennie along with the rest of their law firm stay strong, work together, and figure out how to fight fire with fire. From the beginning there is no doubt that the women will win, the women will stay strong and figure out how to save their jobs and their lives.

In this book, we get an inside look at the home lives of the women. They head home to get dirt on Nick since he was from a family in the neighborhood. I loved seeing how these strong Italian families get together, protect each other, and fight for themselves. I liked seeing how their families come first, religion holds a strong place in their lives, and how family included all those who live in the neighborhood.

Lisa Scottoline is a must-read author, this series is one of my favorites, and I will always recommend everyone read them. ( )
  Charlotte_Lynn | Nov 22, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,638,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible