dismiss

A Noise Downstairs: A Novel by Linwood…

A Noise Downstairs: A Novel

by Linwood Barclay

The New York Times bestselling author of No Time for Goodbye returns with a haunting psychological thriller that blends the twists and turns of Gillian Flynn with the driving suspense of Harlan Coben, in which a man is troubled by odd sounds for which there is no rational explanation. College professor Paul Davis is a normal guy with a normal life. Until, driving along a deserted road late one night, he surprises a murderer disposing of a couple of bodies. That's when Paul's "normal" existence is turned upside down. After nearly losing his own life in that encounter, he finds himself battling PTSD, depression, and severe problems at work. His wife, Charlotte, desperate to cheer him up, brings home a vintage typewriter--complete with ink ribbons and heavy round keys--to encourage him to get started on that novel he's always intended to write. However, the typewriter itself is a problem. Paul swears it's possessed and types by itself at night. But only Paul can hear the noise coming from downstairs; Charlotte doesn't hear a thing. And she worries he's going off the rails. Paul believes the typewriter is somehow connected to the murderer he discovered nearly a year ago. The killer had made his victims type apologies to him before ending their lives. Has another sick twist of fate entwined his life with the killer--could this be the same machine? Increasingly tormented but determined to discover the truth and confront his nightmare, Paul begins investigating the deaths himself. But that may not be the best thing to do. Maybe Paul should just take the typewriter back to where his wife found it. Maybe he should stop asking questions and simply walk away while he can. . . .… (more)
    The Breakdown by B A Paris (tim_mo)
    tim_mo: Essentially the same premise

English (52)  Dutch (1)  All languages (53)
A real page-turner with more than one twist that kept me very interested. Good character development. Not usually my kind of thing, but I'd really be tempted to read more by this author. ( )
  LynnB | May 21, 2020 |
Darn good read. ( )
  RonSmedley | May 5, 2020 |
It was a good novel, but not the best I’ve ever read/listened to. In fact it got a little convoluted there for a while. Red herrings here and there are ok, but this one was a little overdone for me.
Still it was all in all an interesting novel, and kept me listening to the end. Idk if I’d give it all the stars everyone else has, but at least I enjoyed it.
4 stars, and I guess it’s recommended to those with patience lol. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
possessed typewriter torments main character with head injury from attack by friend; therapist with father who has dementia ( )
  kpf506 | Apr 24, 2020 |
The first 3/4 of this story was BORING. It could have been told in half the number of words/pages. The whole "am I going crazy" theme was overplayed and became frustrating. When there finally was a twist generating a little interest, I didn't care anymore. Then the ending....out of the blue, weirdly untidy.....didn't like it. The narration was adequate. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
Beneden klinkt getik.

Maar Paul is de enige die het hoort.
Verliest hij zijn verstand ... of zijn leven?
For Neetha
Toen Paul Davies die avond begin oktober over de Post Road reed, was hij er vrij zeker van dat de licht slingerende auto vóór hem van zijn collega Kenneth Hoffman was.
Driving along Post Road late that early October night, Paul Davis was pretty sure the car driving erratically in front of him belonged to his colleague Kenneth Hoffman.

Chit chit chit chit chit
Someone is typing downstairs
But no one is home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Linwood Barclay's book A Noise Downstairs was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,526,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible