A Noise Downstairs

by Linwood Barclay

The New York Times bestselling author of No Time for Goodbye returns with a haunting psychological thriller that blends the twists and turns of Gillian Flynn with the driving suspense of Harlan Coben, in which a man is troubled by odd sounds for which there is no rational explanation. College professor Paul Davis is a normal guy with a normal life. Until, driving along a deserted road late one night, he surprises a murderer disposing of a couple of bodies. That's when Paul's "normal" existence is turned upside down. After nearly losing his own life in that encounter, he finds himself battling PTSD, depression, and severe problems at work. His wife, Charlotte, desperate to cheer him up, brings home a vintage typewriter--complete with ink ribbons and heavy round keys--to encourage him to get started on that novel he's always intended to write. However, the typewriter itself is a problem. Paul swears it's possessed and types by itself at night. But only Paul can hear the noise coming from downstairs; Charlotte doesn't hear a thing. And she worries he's going off the rails. Paul believes the typewriter is somehow connected to the murderer he discovered nearly a year ago. The killer had made his victims type apologies to him before ending their lives. Has another sick twist of fate entwined his life with the killer--could this be the same machine? Increasingly tormented but determined to discover the truth and confront his nightmare, Paul begins investigating the deaths himself. But that may not be the best thing to do. Maybe Paul should just take the typewriter back to where his wife found it. Maybe he should stop asking questions and simply walk away while he can. . . .… (more)
    The Breakdown by B A Paris (tim_mo)
    tim_mo: Essentially the same premise

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
Another 5 star book!! The story moves along quickly, and though not original, there are definitely many “Wait. What?? No way did I just read that!!” Moments. Many parts have a very Stephen King vibe to them. This was my first book by Linwood Barclay, and I can’t wait to read more! ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
God that was good! This was my first novel by Linwood Barclay and I definitely will be reading more of his books.
The suspense was good, I thought I got it all figured out, but I didn't, well almost!
First big clue to the mystery I thought was Harold Foster, when Paul visited him. What he said about divorce.... For Hoffman, I was close. 😉
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
3.5 stars

I heard good things about this thriller leading up to its release, so I was super intrigued and bought it when it came out.

This was a really quick read! I didn’t want to put it down the whole time I was reading.

This book was a wild ride! It was very twisty, but several of the twists were predictable. There was so much (too much?) going on, but this was a fun thriller.

If you’re looking for a fun, twisty thriller, check this out!

(From www.pingwings.ca) ( )
  kimmypingwing | Jul 7, 2020 |
A real page-turner with more than one twist that kept me very interested. Good character development. Not usually my kind of thing, but I'd really be tempted to read more by this author. ( )
  LynnB | May 21, 2020 |
Darn good read. ( )
  RonSmedley | May 5, 2020 |
Beneden klinkt getik.

Maar Paul is de enige die het hoort.
Verliest hij zijn verstand ... of zijn leven?
For Neetha
Toen Paul Davies die avond begin oktober over de Post Road reed, was hij er vrij zeker van dat de licht slingerende auto vóór hem van zijn collega Kenneth Hoffman was.
Driving along Post Road late that early October night, Paul Davis was pretty sure the car driving erratically in front of him belonged to his colleague Kenneth Hoffman.

Chit chit chit chit chit
Someone is typing downstairs
But no one is home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Linwood Barclay's book A Noise Downstairs was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,647,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible