The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell: A Novel…

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Robert Dugoni (Author)

Born with ocular albinism, small-town eye doctor Sam Hill must finally face a past tragedy that caused him to turn his back on his friends, his hometown, and the life he'd always known--a journey that makes him realize what truly matters.
Member:momom248
Title:The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell: A Novel
Authors:Robert Dugoni (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2018), 447 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni

English (66)  German (1)  All languages (67)
"It is in those quiet moments that each of us has the ability to make our lives extraordinary".
Sam Hill, while growing up in a devoutly Catholic household and attending Catholic school, struggles with faith. He was different- ocular albinism meant he had red eyes. He was dubbed "devil boy" or Sam Hell. He was bullied his whole life. As an adult, he was able to become a successful optometrist. He still suffered from low self-esteem due to his past. Through acceptance he can finally learn to forgive and achieve peace. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Apr 11, 2024 |
This book. Just wow.

Samuel Hill has ocular albinism, a rare disorder wherein his eyes are red. His devoted, faithful Catholic mother insisted that Sam attend OLM grammar school, Our Lady of Mercy. And so begins a lifelong struggle of bullying, discrimination, loneliness, and difference.

From a young age, Sam meets and befriends his best friends, Ernie Cantwell, who will become a professional NFL player, and Mickey Kennedy, the fierce girl who would ultimately become Sam's business partner.

The first-person prose is beautifully written, poignant for anyone who has ever struggled with their difference (which we all have in one way or another), wanted to be "normal," and questioned their faith (not necessarily religious).

While the entire book is surrounded by, intertwined with, and related to religion, the Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell is far from an in-your-face church/God book. Sam Hell is an extraordinary novel about love, belief, forgiveness, and finding your way.

I highly recommend this book.

NOTE: I listened to this book, narrated by the author, and I am so glad I did - he did an extraordinary job. ( )
  LyndaWolters1 | Apr 3, 2024 |
Sam Hill was born with ocular albinism -- a condition where the pupils appear red. Growing up in a private Catholic school, he was the victim of bullying and was often shunned by his peers, known frequently as "Devil Boy" or Sam "Hell". Though Sam has endured a rough life, he's persevered and been lucky in some ways, the son of two loving parents and friend of Ernie and Mickie, two other misfits, but two of the most loyal friends he could ever have. As an adult, Sam has found success as an eye doctor, yet sometimes his past comes back to haunt him.

This is a well-written coming-of-age novel, and one where you can't help but root for Sam while at the same time fall in love with the cast of supporting characters around him. That's a simple summary of my feelings for this book, but it's accurate. Recommend! ( )
  indygo88 | Jan 4, 2024 |
An easy read with loveable characters and a moving plot. ( )
  jcoleman3307 | Nov 23, 2023 |
What can I say?! This is my absolute favorite book I have read in a long time! I was drawn in to the characters and loved every twist and turn. I was mad at times, happy, and sad! The authors ability to capture every emotion was captivating! Drop everything and read Sam Hell ( )
  KarenThompsonFarrell | Oct 9, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,339,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible