Good dog McTavish by Meg Rosoff

Good dog McTavish (edition 2017)

by Meg Rosoff

Member:WeeTurtle
Title:Good dog McTavish
Authors:Meg Rosoff
Info:Edinburgh : Conkers, 2017.
Collections:All Things Dog, Novels, Your library
Rating:**1/2
Tags:illustrations, adopted dog, dysfunctional family, animal perspective, animal character, for reluctant readers

Good Dog Mctavish by Meg Rosoff

This a quirky and entertaining book for ages 7-10 which tells the story of a dog and the family he adopts. ( )
  bah195 | Apr 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A short, simple book. Not as substantial as it could be, but the characters are quirky and amusing, though more like caricatures apart from Betty and McTavish. I would like to see more happening but as it is, I feel that this book would actually be something to pass to a kid who isn't normally inclined to read, as the story is quick and direct. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Mar 20, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(I received this book for free through the early reviewer program).

This was a perfectly pleasant, forgettable book. If you stumble over it on a shelf at the cottage, by all means, read it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire it. Granted, I'm a 53-year-old, so not the target market, but I read heavily in the Children's Literature arena and I know there are more exciting options out there.

The author is attempting to do two main things, and neither one is carried off with any great panache or skill.

The first would be to maintain a somewhat whimsical, eccentric tone (e.g. Roald Dahl), such as the mother shirking her emotional labour to concentrate on yoga, but these attempts are inconsistent, unbelievable, and not particularly exciting. The second is to demonstrate the dog's amazing ability to fix to the family by initiating a series of plans--but again, not particularly exciting (an example: he fixes the family's inability to do laundry by picking up their clothes and moving them by his bed, thereby encouraging them to clean up after themselves. Now there's a page-turner!)

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Feb 28, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program because I'm always looking for new books to add to my elementary school library collection. This book, while good, feels more like a reading group book than something I would want to read for pleasure. The story is straight forward, there are repetitive words, the author uses full names each time she refers to the characters (first and last name), and the story has a very clear intent. As I was reading it I kept thinking about parts I would stop and discuss with my 3rd grade reading group.

Overall it is a nice story about a family growing up. When Ma Peachy decides to resign as mom, the rest of the family is left struggling. Mom doesn't leave, instead she stays and focuses on herself and her own well being, leaving Pa Peachy and the three kids to take care of themselves. They end up adopting a dog who seems annoying at first, but actually has a plan to get the family back on track. I think kids will find the characters amusing and will enjoy the illustrations by Grace Easton. ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | Feb 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free advanced copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This is a sweet and funny story about a dog and the family he “adopts.” The Peachey family is in chaos after Ma Peachey decides to resign from her duties as Mom and take up Yoga. She’s tired of cleaning, cooking and managing the schedules for her kids and husband without any appreciation for what she does. So, Ma sets up a spot in the corner of the house and practices her Yoga poses. Soon enough the house is a mess, there’s piles of dirty laundry and Pa Peachey and the three kids are eating microwave meals every night. The youngest Peachey Betty decides that what the family needs is a dog, so she takes them to the local shelter where they adopt McTavish. While the Peacheys think they are helping the dog find a home, really McTavish knows he’s there to fix his adopted family. He comes up with plans to get them back on track, doing their own laundry, cleaning up the house and even cooking for themselves so he can have peace and order. This is an enjoyable chapter book and I would recommend it to any elementary aged kid. ( )
  nicholsm | Feb 26, 2019 |

The Peachey family is in crisis. No one cooks dinner, no one picks up the dirty washing and the kids are always late for school. All because Mum has resigned from being Mum and taken up yoga instead. She's in the tree pose; everyone else is in the doghouse. Except McTavish, a rescue dog with a difference, on a mission to sort his new family out...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Meg Rosoff's book Good Dog, McTavish is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,082,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible