How to Walk Away: A Novel by Katherine…

How to Walk Away: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Katherine Center (Author)

"From the author of Happiness for Beginners comes an unforgettable love story about finding joy even in the darkest of circumstances. Margaret Jacobsen is just about to step into the bright future she's worked for so hard and so long: a new dream job, a fiancé she adores, and the promise of a picture perfect life just around the corner. Then, suddenly, on what should have been one of the happiest days of her life, everything she worked for is taken away in a brief, tumultuous moment. In the hospital and forced to face the possibility that nothing will ever be the same again, Maggie must confront the unthinkable. First there is her fiancé, Chip, who wallows in self pity while simultaneously expecting to be forgiven. Then, there's her sister Kit, who shows up after pulling a three-year vanishing act. Finally, there's Ian, her physical therapist, the one the nurses said was too tough for her. Ian, who won't let her give in to her pity, and who sees her like no one has seen her before. Sometimes the last thing you want is the one thing you need. Sometimes we all need someone to catch us when we fall. And sometimes love can find us in the least likely place we would ever expect. How to Walk Away is Katherine Center at her very best?a masterpiece of a novel that is both hopeful and hilarious; truthful and wise; tender and brave"--… (more)
Member:mistyd10
Title:How to Walk Away: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Center (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2019), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:kindle clean off until 2021, snakeskin, Best of 2019, Read in 2019, Currently reading, Your library, kindle, Maggie
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Romance

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (2018)

This was a very quick and easy read which I finished in less than a week! ( )
  JamieR78 | Dec 3, 2019 |
Margaret Jacobsen's happy-ever-after literally went up in flames on what should have been the happiest day of her life. How she copes with the challenges that follow make up the core of the book.

As a romance, it's middling. But as the story of a relatively young person facing the prospect of life as a paraplegic, it's extremely well done. Margaret is not a pollyanna, and she goes through most of the classic stages of grief with a realism not often found in fiction.

She's also coping with a family that faces some major challenges unrelated to her injury. The character of the sister, while critical to the plot, is sometimes a bit unrealistic.

Defiitely a worthwhile read. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Nov 9, 2019 |
A plane crash shatters Margaret’s world. Her sister Kitty and a Scottish physical therapist named Ian try to help her put it back together. A bit cheesy, but an easy read. If felt like an upbeat version of Me Before You.

“That’s what art is I suppose, transforming things from what they were into what they could be.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 8, 2019 |
Margaret, despite her extreme hesitation and fear of flying, allows him to fly them to a romantic spot where he proposes. Tragedy strikes and Margaret’s life is irrevocably changed. What follows is a wonderful story of a woman facing a major life change with strength and determination, love and an improved relationship with her sister. I’ve read all of Katherine's book and what I love is that her characters are facing contemporary issues and do so with a great deal of humor ( )
  cdyankeefan | Jul 4, 2019 |
I felt so many emotions with this book, I can't tell you. I loved it from the moment I read the first couple of pages and just felt happy, sad, humored. This is a good read. The end. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
You get one life, and it only goes forward.
---Wesley Branch
There are all kinds of happy endings.
---Eve Lapin
For my mom, Deborah Detering,
who is my personal superhero.

And to the memory of her brother and friend,
my uncle, Herman Detering.
We will always miss you, Bubsie.
The biggest irony about that night is that I was always scared to fly.
When you don't know what to do for yourself, do something for somebody else.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,162,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible