Morgan: American Financier (1999)

by Jean Strouse

A century ago, J. Pierpont Morgan bestrode the financial world like a colossus. The organizing force behind General Electric, U.S. Steel, and vast railroad empires, he served for decades as America's unofficial central banker: a few months after he died in 1913, the Federal Reserve replaced the private system he had devised. An early supporter of Thomas Edison and Andrew Carnegie, the confidant (and rival) of Theodore Roosevelt, England's Edward VII, and Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm, and the companion of several fascinating women, Morgan shaped his world and ours in countless ways. Yet since his death he has remained a mysterious figure, celebrated as a hero of industrial progress and vilified as a rapacious robber baron. Here for the first time is the biography Morgan has long deserved--a magisterial, full-scale portrait of the man without whose dominating will American finance and culture would be very different from what they are today. In this beautifully crafted account, drawn from more than a decade's work in newly available archives, the award-winning biographer Jean Strouse animates Morgan's life and times to reveal the entirely human character behind the often terrifying visage.          Morganbrings eye-opening perspectives to the role the banker played in the emerging U.S. economy as he raised capital in Europe, reorganized bankrupt railroads, stabilized markets in times of crisis, and set up many of the corporate and financial structures we take for granted. And surprising new stories introduce us in vivid detail to Morgan's childhood in Hartford and Boston, his schooling in Switzerland and Germany, the start of his career in New York--as well as to his relations with his esteemed and exacting father, with his adored first and difficult second wives, with his children, partners, business associates, female consorts, and friends. Morgan had a second major career as a collector of art, stocking America with visual and literary treasures of the past. Called by one contemporary expert "the greatest collector of our time," he spent much of his energy and more than half of his fortune on art.                 Strouse's extraordinary biography gives dramatic new dimension not only to Morgan but to the culture, political struggles, and social conflicts of America's momentous Gilded Age.… (more)
Recently added byVewyquiet, Craig77, sarahb6, EricCostello, skneils, private library, austinhurst97, sdash1845, zvirosen

I found this well written and engaging. I am looking forward to the Chernow book, after looking at what the other reviewers had to say. Pierpont was a fascinating individual and seems pretty unique in his age. ( )
1 vote Whiskey3pa | Oct 4, 2013 |
3294. Morgan: American Financier, by Jean Strouse (read Feb 23, 2000) I am not sure it was necessary to read this, since in June of 1994 I read Ron Chernow's superlative The House of Morgan. This book concentrates on the by far most colorful Morgan, J. Peirpont Morgan, Sr., who died in 1913. Most of the book was good, except I could not get very excited about the detailed accounts of his purchases of art and such. The other parts of the book were interest-holding. ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Nov 30, 2007 |
It must have taken me 6 months to get through this. There were parts I enjoyed and parts I didn't. I never knew so much about JP Morgan. It was very interesting to see the things one man could accomplish (with a lot of help from those that respected him). He saved the country from finincail disaster twice and was still ridiculded as a robber baron. I think I'll wait awhile for my next biography though.
1 vote jcopenha | Jan 19, 2007 |
Not as engaging as The House of Morgan
Strouse's work is truly a tour de force. The book's subject deserves such a royal treatment. Some myths have been broken (for instance, the anecdote about a partner's wife commenting on Morgan's nose, which was mentioned in Chernow's 1990 book). Still, one gets the impression that Chernow's book was more engaging than Strouse's work.

(Posted in Amazon.com, August 19, 1999) ( )
1 vote melvinsico | Oct 29, 2006 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible