Morgan: American Financier by Jean Strouse

Morgan: American Financier (1999)

by Jean Strouse

After more than a decade's research in previously unexamined archives, award-winning biographer Jean Strouse offers a landmark profile of America's greatest financier--J.P. Morgan. This magisterial work, brilliantly crafted and epic in scope, gives a vivid portrait of our country's greatest banker.

I found this well written and engaging. I am looking forward to the Chernow book, after looking at what the other reviewers had to say. Pierpont was a fascinating individual and seems pretty unique in his age. ( )
1 vote Whiskey3pa | Oct 4, 2013 |
3294. Morgan: American Financier, by Jean Strouse (read Feb 23, 2000) I am not sure it was necessary to read this, since in June of 1994 I read Ron Chernow's superlative The House of Morgan. This book concentrates on the by far most colorful Morgan, J. Peirpont Morgan, Sr., who died in 1913. Most of the book was good, except I could not get very excited about the detailed accounts of his purchases of art and such. The other parts of the book were interest-holding. ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Nov 30, 2007 |
It must have taken me 6 months to get through this. There were parts I enjoyed and parts I didn't. I never knew so much about JP Morgan. It was very interesting to see the things one man could accomplish (with a lot of help from those that respected him). He saved the country from finincail disaster twice and was still ridiculded as a robber baron. I think I'll wait awhile for my next biography though.
1 vote jcopenha | Jan 19, 2007 |
Not as engaging as The House of Morgan
Strouse's work is truly a tour de force. The book's subject deserves such a royal treatment. Some myths have been broken (for instance, the anecdote about a partner's wife commenting on Morgan's nose, which was mentioned in Chernow's 1990 book). Still, one gets the impression that Chernow's book was more engaging than Strouse's work.

(Posted in Amazon.com, August 19, 1999) ( )
1 vote melvinsico | Oct 29, 2006 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible