Puddin' by Julie Murphy

Puddin'

by Julie Murphy

Series: Dumplin' (2)

When circumstances put Millie Michalchuk and Callie Reyes together over the course of a semester, the girls realize they have more in common than they ever imagined.

A companion novel to the previous Dumplin', Puddin' revisits the community of Clover City, TX. In this one, runner-up beauty queen Millie (of the aforementioned book) is the main character. The remainder of the group of girls from the first book (Willowdean, Amanda, Ellen, & Hannah) are in this one too, although more as accessory characters. Popular, mean girl Callie (a very minor character in the first book) also stars in this book. Millie, determined to avoid attending fat camp in the upcoming summer, applies for a summer broadcasting program at a nearby university. Callie, on the cusp of becoming next year's captain of the school's dance team, is excited about the team's chances to make it to Nationals. After an "incident", the two seemingly polar opposite girls are brought together in unusual circumstances. Millie, the eternal optimist, is determined to become friends. Callie is just as determined to not allow that to happen.

This was a cute, albeit fairly predictable, young adult feel-good novel, similar in a lot of ways to its predecessor. There are a lot of positive messages about body image, but also a lot of good quotes and one-liners. I think I probably liked Dumplin' a little better than this one, but I enjoyed both. I'm not sure if there are any plans for adapting this into a movie, as was the case with Dumplin' (which I thought was adapted pretty well to the big screen), but I think it could have similar success. ( )
  indygo88 | Mar 6, 2019 |
After reading and loving Dumplin' by Julie Murphy, I had to read this as well. I loved it! Characters such as Millie and Callie, who were introduced to the reading in the first book, became the main characters in this volume, while other characters also appeared. We get to know all of them more as we follow their journeys toward adulthood and independence with all of their missteps and accomplishments. I can't wait to see what Murphy writes next! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jan 30, 2019 |
Puddin’ is the story of teenage girls learning about the meaning of true friendship and not excepting what others have planned for you. It is a companion to Dumplin’. Dumplin’ introduced us to this group of unlikely friends. Puddin’ gives us more insight into Millie and Callie.
Millie is always positive and upbeat. She dreams of being a broadcast journalist. She works at her uncles gym before and after school. Callie is a member of the shamrocks, the schools dance team. When they lose funding, the team vandalizes their ex-sponsor, the gym.
Callie’s life changes in that moment when Millie identifies Callie as one of the vandals. Circumstances bring Millie and Callie and a close contact and a friendship grows. But, can it last when Callie finds out that Millie is the one that identified her to the police? Funny and heartfelt, it is a great book to help you believe in yourself, and to follow the motto: Don’t let others hold you back!
#Puddin’ #JulieMurphy
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
This book begins after Dumplin took place. Millie is fresh off her runner’s up win at the beauty pageant.
She feels stronger than ever and decides this year she isn’t going to fat camp, she’s going to journalism camp.

Callie is excited about the year on dance team when their sponsor backs out and they lose funding. The girls in dance club retaliate against their sponsor.
This act brings Callie info Millie’s circle, when she is forced into working to repay the damages.

Millie is every bit as likable as she was in Dumplin and more fully developed as a character. She’s a positive, upbeat girl but she struggles when her dreams compete with her mom’s wishes. Being a good daughter is really important to Millie.

I like that we also got to check in with Willowdean and everyone from the first book.
And I really loved seeing Mitch get more of a story here. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This was an entertaining story that portrayed high school angst with drama revolving on romantic break ups and friendship. I thought it was fun, but a little too light -- maybe too much of a beach read, or too much like a Hallmark movie. ( )
  jmoncton | Dec 12, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible