The Tin God by Chris Nickson

The Tin God

by Chris Nickson

731,345,656 (3.5)None
"When Superintendent Tom Harper's wife is threatened during an election campaign, the hunt for the attacker turns personal. Leeds, England. October, 1897. Superintendent Harper is proud of his wife Annabelle. She's one of seven women selected to stand for election as a Poor Law Guardian. But even as the campaign begins, Annabelle and the other female candidates start to receive anonymous letters from someone who believes a woman's place lies firmly in the home. The threats escalate into outright violence when an explosion rips through the church hall where Annabelle is due to hold a meeting--with fatal consequences. The only piece of evidence Harper has is a scrap of paper left at the scene containing a fragment from an old folk song. But what is its significance? As polling day approaches and the attacks increase in menace and intensity, Harper knows he's in a race against time to uncover the culprit before more deaths follow. With the lives of his wife and daughter at risk, the political becomes cruelly personal..."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Mystery went on way too long; I stuck with it because I was curious how it would all end. Interesting with all the local color of that part of England (I finished the Coast to Coast Walk in Robin Hood's Bay) and lots of cool, vintage Englishisms scattered throughout. I doubt I read any more in the series. ( )
  repb | Mar 23, 2019 |
For DI Tom Harper criminal actions are about to become very personal. His wife Annabel has decided to stand for election to the Poor Board in their local area of Sheepscar in Leeds. Unable to vote for Parliament, this is one way in which woman can make their voice heard and Annabel is passionate and strong candidate. However in Victorian England some people don't want women involved in politics and the female candidates for the Poor Board are being targeted. Meanwhile former colleague Billy Reed has moved to Whitby but the actions of local criminals there may also be linked to Leeds.
I really enjoy the Tom Harper novels for many reasons. Firstly, the settings in Yorkshire and particularly central Leeds. Secondly the way that Nickson manages to combine an entertaining historic detective novel with a really well-researched social history. Here the focus is on woman's campaigning and their efforts to gain a voice on behalf of the poor. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Sep 22, 2018 |
I believe The Tin God is the latest in a series featuring Superintendent Tom Harper. However, I read it as a standalone and didn't feel I had missed out by not having read any earlier books.

In this book, Tom's wife, Annabelle, is running for election as a Poor Law Guardian and it was this social history that initially drew me to the book. We're in Leeds in 1887 and I liked the fact that there were many strong women in the story, running businesses and being feisty about their views.

But somebody has taken against the idea of women being elected and starts a campaign of violence and terror to stop it happening. Bombs, threats, violence all play a part but I have to say that despite that there's nothing too horrible to read about. There's also a subplot about smuggling in Whitby which I could have managed without as the Leeds plot was far more interesting to me but it did introduce a character to me that I suspect may have been important in the previous books.

I liked Tom, Annabelle and their daughter, Mary very much. I can see why the author chose to write them into a series. But there are also other well-drawn characters, including Mr Kidson and his niece, who Tom consults to help with the case, and the other policemen are interesting characters as well.

I think this is a good old-fashioned historical police procedural. It's well-written and engaging with an appealing story. ( )
  nicx27 | Apr 5, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,585,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible